The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-22-2017, 10:28 PM

Default What gear do you use for recording?

I'm just starting to mess around with recording at home and have noodled around with GarageBand on my iPad. Not bad for free! Just bought a $100 Shure mic specifically for the iPad and look forward to trying it out this week.

Curious if there are better software programs or anything else that can help properly record my playing and maybe add a lift to a guy with C- vocals...purpose is mostly to save a few songs I've written for my daughters and wife for now, with long shot hopes of one day recording something people outside of my family might enjoy listening to. I'm really motivated after seeing my oldest daughter's face well up with tears (of joy!) after my (very poor) iPad recording of the first verse of a song I wrote for her.

Only plan on ever recording my voice and my acoustic guitar - can't imagine needing more than 4 tracks max (I've been using only 2 so far). I have an iPad and a PC. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:33 PM

Probably get best answers in the recording area.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:41 PM

Tagging for interest. I may finally have use for my wife's iPad.

2014 Pono OP-10DC
2013 Martin 0015M
60's Harmony Stella
Old 07-23-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFP55 View Post
I'm just starting to mess around with recording at home and have noodled around with GarageBand on my iPad. Not bad for free! Just bought a $100 Shure mic specifically for the iPad and look forward to trying it out this week.

Curious if there are better software programs or anything else that can help properly record my playing and maybe add a lift to a guy with C- vocals...purpose is mostly to save a few songs I've written for my daughters and wife for now, with long shot hopes of one day recording something people outside of my family might enjoy listening to. I'm really motivated after seeing my oldest daughter's face well up with tears (of joy!) after my (very poor) iPad recording of the first verse of a song I wrote for her.

Only plan on ever recording my voice and my acoustic guitar - can't imagine needing more than 4 tracks max (I've been using only 2 so far). I have an iPad and a PC. Thanks!

My "recording setup" is my iPad, an iRig HD, Bias and JamUp pro for amp models and effects, and GarageBand for recording and mixing. Works really well for recording electric. For acoustic I would use a nice mic that's for sure, but GarageBand does the job really well for mixing.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:28 AM

I've done a little home recording. Nothing too serious though. Here's what I use.

Guitar > Pedal board > Mixer
Mic > Vocal Pedal > Mixer
Mixer > Computer

Mixer is an A&H Zed 10 fx

Mac > Garageband
PC > Audacity
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 07-23-2017, 06:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Ask the moderators to move this to the recording section.
In general if you are simply "archiving" and don't think you are really interested in getting into recording for publication, then Garageband and your iPad are probably fine .
If you are interested in publishing any of your music i.e. Youtube, SoundCloud, iTunes , or to CD etc. . Then GB may still work but you may also want to consider other more extensive DAWs (Not a matter of better so much as more features and editing capabilities .
BUT first really consider how much time and money you are willing to devote to becoming a homebased recordist .
Again this thread is way suited to the "Recording Forum:

Here is a thread from the Recording Forum about equipment from a while back http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273107

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-23-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:54 AM

GB works very well for casual recording. The steeper learning curve and complexity of more sophisticated DAWs may deter you unless you enjoy and are capable of working with them. If you don't use them often, you may may find the various features and commands difficult to remember. Audio quality doesn't really vary between the product, it's just differences in features and workflow.
Old 07-23-2017, 08:52 AM

A few years back, I would have looked anywhere other than Garageband. The more recent updates (as of about a year or two ago), are incredible for the value.

Extremely easy and straight-forward to use and mix. I say this as I'm wrapping up my second EP of the year this month in Garageband.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:57 AM

Thanks all! Sounds like sticking with GarageBand makes the most sense for now. I just ordered a Shure MV5 mic as I've heard an external mic makes a huge difference. Any thoughts on this one or the Blue Yeti mics? I just need something "good enough" for now, but I've blown enough $ on guitars I don't want to be overly cheap on the recording equip.

Are there any other must have pieces of equipment? Again I'll just be playing an acoustic guitar and singing into the mic. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2017, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks all! Sounds like sticking with GarageBand makes the most sense for now. I just ordered a Shure MV5 mic as I've heard an external mic makes a huge difference. Any thoughts on this one or the Blue Yeti mics? I just need something "good enough" for now, but I've blown enough $ on guitars I don't want to be overly cheap on the recording equip.

Are there any other must have pieces of equipment? Again I'll just be playing an acoustic guitar and singing into the mic. Thanks!
Yes again "in general" an external mic is going to be a sound improvement over the mics on the iPad IPhone or computer mics.

"Must have" probably not, you can certainly get started with a USB mic plugged into an iOS device and GB. Just getting started is one of the biggest hills to climb. After you have done that and had some experience recording you can alway assess what you want to do going forward.
Understand people do home recording with everything from a mic and iPad or a Zoom video camera ,to full blown professional grade home studios with 10's of thousands of dollars worth of gear. And every combination in between.

With that MV5 to do a one pass just find the best placement for balance between how you play and sing
You will be getting a mono track but that is what was done befor stereo was invented. Or you can record the guitar then overdub the vocal (with the use of headphones )

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-23-2017 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:04 PM

Yeah, you don't mention budget. Computer-based set ups will set you back a bit for the elements you will need. Plus, the know-how to use it properly. You do mention wanting to keep it simple--to just record a basic guitar/voice combo. In this situation, I always recommend the Zoom H5 handheld. Will give you 4 tracks (2 onboard, 2 XLR). And the XY mics sound incredible. Everything you need right out of the box and you can record anywhere. You could then import to GarageBand for editing or further tweaking as required.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:55 PM

I totally forgot that I do have an old Tascam 8 track recorder and a condenser mic I used to use to record band practice. I think I might dust off that thing and start using it again.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
...I just need something "good enough" for now, but I've blown enough $ on guitars I don't want to be overly cheap on the recording equip.
Personally I would skip the whole iPad/USB mic route.

It doesn't cost that much to get a decent recording setup for a PC, using an inexpensive 2-channel USB interface with decent mic preamps (like the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, which comes with a DAW ), and a couple of decent condenser mics.

It just isn't that difficult or expensive--especially compared to buying/playing guitars. You will get hooked, and if you buy too cheap to start, you will buy twice.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Personally I would skip the whole iPad/USB mic route.

It doesn't cost that much to get a decent recording setup for a PC, using an inexpensive 2-channel USB interface with decent mic preamps (like the Focusrite Scarlet 2i2, which comes with a DAW ), and a couple of decent condenser mics.

It just isn't that difficult or expensive--especially compared to buying/playing guitars. You will get hooked, and if you buy too cheap to start, you will buy twice.
Well that's a good point but sometimes budget constraints prohibit starting out with anything but the minimum investment. And why I usually ask about initial goals and starting budget range .
And as you say if you do get "hooked" you will likely be upgrading, No doubt. However, one should note that can just as easily apply to a Focusrite Scarlet and some "decent condenser mic's " as to an iPad and USB mic. Which is why goals and budget are really important to get a handle on first

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 07-23-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well that's a good point but sometimes budget constraints prohibit starting out with anything but the minimum investment. And why I usually ask about initial goals and starting budget range .
And as you say if you do get "hooked" you will likely be upgrading, No doubt. However, one should note that can just as easily apply to a Focusrite Scarlet and some "decent condenser mic's " as to an iPad and USB mic. Which is why goals and budget are really important to get a handle on first
I think we mostly agree, but keep in mind the following:

1) He's not monetarily challenged. He has a $300-$500 iPad (how many people really need one?). He stated: "I've blown enough $ on guitars I don't want to be overly cheap on the recording equip..." , so I do not think he has any budget constraints that would keep him investing $300-$500 on recording equipment.

2) Dollar for dollar, the equipment I suggested offers tremendous value for the money--a lot more than a USB mic does. The ADA converters and mic preamps in the affordable Focusrite box ($150) are going to be far superior to whatever he is using now. A BIG step up.

3) He doesn't need to get sucked down into the recording rabbit hole and, no, going out and buying a $1k ADA converter and $2k dual mic preamp is not going to greatly improve a simple home recorded two-channel guitar/vocal recording made with my suggested gear. He doesn't need to go there. If he can't make a terrific recording with the gear I suggested he needs to practice. It ain't the gear.

4) The affordable condenser mics of today are so good, he will never "need" an upgrade. No Gefells or Neumanns (or even Shures) needed. There are too many great small and large condensers on the market today between $75-$150 each. Why spend $100 on a USB mic?

Just opinions based on my experiences...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD