The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-31-2017, 05:32 AM

I've known my son's piano teacher for about twenty years and she's heard all of my guitars. She is a gifted concert pianist with a great ear. Right after I got my Froggy she came over while I was playing it and, before she even got into the room called out, "what guitar is that? It sounds incredible!"

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 01-31-2017, 06:02 AM

In my mind, I find some FB's to be up there with many of the boutique guitars being made.

While all of the Froggy's have great workmanship as well as play ability, the tone of the C and H-12 models both hit the mark for me. A good mix as far as hitting the fundamental while providing some overtones. And you can vary your technique very easily in order to vary the tone produced They are easy to play and tend to be 'forgiving' of user error (poor fretting, bad picking).

Unfortunately, the price of Froggy's has gone up quite a bit (especially for non-standard tonewoods such as walnut or exotic rosewoods) over the past couple of years. But there are bargains that come up for used ones especially for the EIR/mahogany versions.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I've played a bunch of Froggies and they never fail to amaze me... big rich, full, broad sound that seems to fill the room. I've never played one with a neck I could handle, but I'm sure a custom order would take care of that problem.

The one that interests me the most has always been the P-12. Oh my... what a tiny little guitar, but what an engaging, musical sound.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:57 AM

I played my first FB in 1999 on a visit to the shop with acquaintance of Michael. He let me play two of his guitars, his personal K and an H12. I was hooked and ordered an H12 that day. I had some unexpected funds which my dear godmother willed to me which just covered the guitar. I received it in Dec 2000 and it is still my daily go-to guitar. I'll never sell it. It is my guitar in a deeply bonded way. 2 months after receiving the H12, I came across an F with in old germ spruce (cut in 19th century) over fine dark koa. I didn't need another guitar but the price was ridiculous and I have two most amazing Froggy Bottom Guitars. My son grew up with these guitars and is a full time musician. As soon as he scratched together the funds, he ordered a K from Michael. It arrived this summer and is outstanding. He is over the moon.

I don't like to talk about best guitars. There are guitars which I like and those which I like less. I have played many boutique guitars, all the builders you know ( save Somogyi). Other than some guitars of Jeff Traugott, I prefer my Froggys to those which cost many times more. FBGs are deeply engaging. They are not colored tonally but are warm and responsive. The balance of fundamental to overtones is perfect for my ear. I go to national boutique guitar shows and am impressed with other guitars but none which give me any twinge of wanting to add or replace guitars in my home. I think I'm done and can just play now.

There's a nice portrait of FBG in an issue of the Fretboard from a few year back written by Scott Anslie. Worth a read if these guitars interest you.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

Last edited by handers; 03-18-2018 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:25 AM

I bought my H-12 Deluxe used way back in 2005. It still makes me giggle with it's tone when I play it.

Question for other Froggy H-12 owners... What strings do you prefer on yours?

I've been using GHS phos/bronze for a while... I like them a lot, but I'm interested in others opinions
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
I bought my H-12 Deluxe used way back in 2005. It still makes me giggle with it's tone when I play it.

I've been using GHS phos/bronze for a while... I like them a lot, but I'm interested in others opinions
As noted in an earlier post - Pearse PB and DR Sunbeams. I also like Straight Up Strings. .12's in each case, which is light for Pearse, and medium for DR and Straight Up Strings.

I like Martin Monels as a novelty and a change of pace, and Newtone Masterclass on occasion - but they're too expensive for what you get, IMHO.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post

For many years I have used Newtone master class strings with great success. Froggy Bottom Guitars ship these days with John Pearce strings usually phosphor bronze I think. I have also liked using Pearce phosphor bronze and 8020s on my guitars

Hans
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

Old 01-31-2017, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Michael was pretty enthusiastic about John Pearse 80/20s when he handed my guitar to me. I've tried many different types since, but always come back to JP 80/20s or JP PBs for both the K and the H12. They sound great to me.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:56 AM

I'm also happy enough with Pearse strings, and tend to use PB's even though I have a rosewood. I've stuck with lights on the H12, as recommended. That said, the cool thing about Pearse strings are their intermediate/mixed string sets, allowing you to go selectively to heavier gauge on the treble or bass if you want to experiment.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:26 PM

I purchased my Froggy C used. When I first got it I needed a setup. Nothing major, just that the action was higher than I liked.

After I got it back from the luthier, it sounded like crap. No clarity, just mush. I quickly realized he put a set of Martin PB's on it. I changed to John Pearse 80-20's and the magic was back!! It was like night and day and I have stayed with them on this guitar ever since.
Old 01-31-2017, 01:59 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Some of the best sounding guitars on the market. I own an F12 and H12 both Adi topped, one in EIR and the other Bastogne Walnut. In a word, AWESOME! Both are go-to boxes. Don't think you can go wrong.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:04 PM

Unfortunately there are no dealers that close to me, or else I'd love to go and play one.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:07 AM

Before I tried one I was told, by the store owner, that they are magic. After I played one I realised that he was right and now I have one. If you like sensitivity in an instrument, I have never heard better. Big yes from me.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Charter Member

Owned an SJ Froggy, great build quality, great sound, however it was not any better sounding than Authentic Martins, or Santa Cruz, etc.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:41 AM

Mark Knopfler playing one in studio

http://www.markknopfler.com/wp-conte...scenes.mp4?_=1
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion