The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-02-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think what Rick means is don't pan inward - that is, if you've recorded to 2 separate tracks, pan hard left and hard right - not centered. If you record to a stereo track, just leave the mix alone. The goal should be to create the stereo image with mic placement, not panning.
This makes more sense to me....

Just playing around to find out what I like, and looking for opinions. Not doing anything serious. Just wondering if there is something "major wrong" with what I'm doing to those with more experience. I have done some xy, and spaced pair recordings also that sound less stereo than the this last setup. Learning as I go
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

https://soundcloud.com/search?q=Smokerblacker
Old 06-02-2014, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Part of learning about recording seems to be educating your ear. I'd suggest finding some reference recordings you like and compare. I can't listen to your track right now, but I'd not expect that mic placement to be the best location. I'd work with X/Y and spaced pairs until the pieces fall into place with those. Just my suggestion, tho.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45 PM

I would not use hard panning (100% left and 100% right) on a 2-mic acoustic set up mix. Doing so would make it sound like your head is placed between the two mics (face on the guitar) when listening to it!
Instead I pan them about 10% apart and then together to one side or the other (or centered with each 5% off center, if you prefer).
It's a tip I got from drum mixing - only if you're sitting in the drum kit do you hear the hi hat 100% over to one side, the floor toms 100% over to the other, etc. If you're out in front it is much more condensed (I use the 'width' control in Reaper, which can move everything in toward the center, regardless of actual panning location).

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
I would not use hard panning (100% left and 100% right) on a 2-mic acoustic set up mix. Doing so would make it sound like your head is placed between the two mics (face on the guitar) when listening to it!
Whatever works, but what I think is more common is to use mic placement to get the sound you want. If you want narrower or wider, you can do that with the mics. Panning can easily end up creating phase cancellation, and a thinner sound. But a lot depends on the sound you want and how the track is being used. For solo guitar, at least what works for me is to record exactly what the mics bring in and leave it that way - I usually record to a stereo track, where each channel is routed to each side. But that's just me, and there's no real right or wrong in recording as long as it sounds good. That goes back to my suggestion, tho - find a reference track you like, then figure out how they did it.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Instead I pan them about 10% apart and then together to one side or the other (or centered with each 5% off center, if you prefer).
It's a tip I got from drum mixing - only if you're sitting in the drum kit do you hear the hi hat 100% over to one side, the floor toms 100% over to the other, etc. If you're out in front it is much more condensed (I use the 'width' control in Reaper, which can move everything in toward the center, regardless of actual panning location).
With that scenario ( as part of a mix and panned in virtually to mono) it would be best to record with one mike on the guitar. For solo guitar go stereo fully panned hard right and left. Perceived location will follow from mike locations, room acoustics, and post recording processing.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually Rick and Doug have a point, that (head between mic's face on the guitar) is not necessarily the case, it depends on where the mics are positioned.

Many if not most stereo solo acoustic guitar recordings are panned hard L and R
As soon as you bring in other tracks then often that hard panning is not used

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-02-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
For solo guitar, at least what works for me is to record exactly what the mics bring in and leave it that way - I usually record to a stereo track, where each channel is routed to each side. But that's just me, and there's no real right or wrong in recording as long as it sounds good.

So what your saying is one mic is all left and the other is all right? I'm interested to see if you hear what you think you'll hear when you get to listen to the links.

I appreciate all the comments and replies by everyone. What I'm looking for is some replies relevant to the actual recordings themselves. Since I'm a rookie (but not tone deaf or stupid) im not looking to have a perfect recording considering there is no room treatment. I'm sure it's not worthy of a that aboy, however a "good start" or "your on the right track" could generate some positive encouragement.
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 06-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_ View Post
So what your saying is one mic is all left and the other is all right? I'm interested to see if you hear what you think you'll hear when you get to listen to the links.

I appreciate all the comments and replies by everyone. What I'm looking for is some replies relevant to the actual recordings themselves. Since I'm a rookie (but not tone deaf or stupid) im not looking to have a perfect recording considering there is no room treatment. I'm sure it's not worthy of a that aboy, however a "good start" or "your on the right track" could generate some positive encouragement.
Good start and you are on the right track. To take it to the next level work with some of the advice you have been provided.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 06-02-2014, 09:00 PM

Suppose sometimes it's confusing (as I don't read/understand well) I'm sure it will take years to be fluent with my setup, and I'm ok with that. Sounds like track 1 (fretboard mic) panned hard left and the other mic in track 2 panned hard right is common. It definitely sounds wider and more roomy. It looses some of that directly over your head feel thru the headphones tho.
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

Old 06-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Sounds pretty nice to me, definitely on the right track. Just keep at it.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Sounds pretty nice to me, definitely on the right track. Just keep at it.
Thanks Doug, sure will
Dean EABC5
Gretsch 9121
Lag TN100 Nylon
Recording King RO-10
Recording King RP-06

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD