The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-04-2013, 02:08 PM

Default Help! My low E string is buzzing!

Hey guys, I have a really nice Takamine from 2009 and all of a sudden, my low E string just started buzzing! It's really hard to describe but when I play it, it makes a thumping sound and starts buzzing. I went to the Guitar Center and they said I should just leave it in a case with a humidifier for a week and it should be fine. And also, the buzzing isn't at the nexk, it's near the saddle and bridge. Is this true, because it seems more serious than that!
Old 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM

My guess would be that it's coming from the first fret and you're just noticing/hearing it from the business end. Anyway I could be wrong but to find out fret your second fret and check if the string is clearing the first fret.

Jeff.

Last edited by jeff crisp; 02-04-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:37 PM

Default I went to the Guitar Center and they said

That's a problem, right there...
Old 02-05-2013, 08:15 AM

Putting a guitar in its case with a humidifier is not the way to deal with buzzing. I'd recommend you avoid advice from the location where they said that.

In my area, the winter has been colder and dryer than our last few, and I've had nearly 10 guitars come into my repair shop with truss rods out of adjustment. Often time clients report truss rod and/or buzzing issues after seasonal humidity changes.

It sounds to me like your guitar may need its truss rod loosened. But it is impossible to tell with your brief description. Try fretting the guitar at the first and 14th frets on your low E string, then use a spare finger, thumb, or nose to press down the string a few times near the 7th to 9th frets. If there is no clearance, or little clearance, your truss rod likely needs to be loosened to create more of a bow in the neck. If the string has too much clearance, you'll likely need to tighten the truss rod (straighten the neck) in which case the truss is likely not the culprit to your buzzing issue.

Also, if the above doesn't find your problem, you may wish to very carefully examine the saddle. It should allow the string to "break" on the leading edge of the bevel. Sometimes, when saddle tops are too wide and flat, they create buzzing from this location.

Post back with results. Good luck.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-05-2013, 08:52 AM

Sometimes you would swear on the kings grave that it sounds like the buzz is coming from the bridge and it ends up being a loose tuner or something stupid like that. I would take it to some one who is willing to actually look at it rather than tell you to put it in a case and it will magically fix itself. It's possible sure but did they offer you any reason as to why? Did they actually look at it in detail? Dryness can indeed lower your action but there could be a lot more to it and or it could be something simple. But it's not easy to diagnose over the Internet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair