The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Fretting E string at 11th fret touches 12th fret on mandolin

Hi.

I have a mandolin where the neck joins the body at the 10th fret. When fretting the E string (the highest string) at the 11th fret the outer E string of the course is touching the 12th fret and produces the note at the 12th fret. It seems that the 12th fret might be high.

How should I proceed with curing this? I could try to raise the action a hair. Maybe giving the 12th fret a little bang with a hammer to make sure it is seated properly. Or file the fret slightly. I'm afraid of introducing other dead spots or buzzes. Every other note rings true and clean.

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Pete
Old 02-02-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
It seems that the 12th fret might be high.
Most likely, yes.

Quote:
How should I proceed with curing this?
Look at the 12th fret. Is the bottom of the crown fully seated against the top of the fingerboard? If so, whacking it with a hammer won't likely help, but you can try it. In that case, level the frets.

If it is not fully seated - there is a gap beneath the crown of the fret at the end of the fret - press on the fret with the end of a dowel of pencil. If the fret end seats, but won't stay seated when you release the pressure on it, glue the end down with CA glue, while maintaining pressure on the top of the fret to keep it seated.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:44 PM

If it turns out that the issue isn't with a loose fret, a very gentle fret dressing from the 11th fret to end of fingerboard can likely correct the issue with a minimum of re-crowning.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-04-2013, 10:50 AM

Site down the edge of the fretboard in good light like you are shooting a rifle and see if there is a deformation in the fretboard in that area. If so you have other problems.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair