The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-10-2011, 05:56 AM

Default re-humidfying a (new) guitar

Hello everyone. I just took ownership of a new Taylor 110. I bought this from my not so local Guitar Center. They had one hanging up on the wall and the fret ends were sticking out badly. I asked if they had anymore in stock and the sales clerk said thay had one more. He went to the back room and brought it out. It was still in the sealed factory box, and once he pulled it out, it too had the fret ends stcking out badly. Because it was still new in the sealed box, I thought that perhaps it was shipped from the factory with a bad fret job and just planned to have them filed when I took it in for a setup from my guitar tech. However, once I got it home and inspected it further, I think it may be dried out. The top is not sunk in, but it is completely flat and I believe that there is supposed to a bit of a dome to the top. At this point, I would assume that it is not overly dry and can still be saved, but approx. how long will it take to get back to it's proper state? It is currently out hanging on the wall in my humidity controlled guitar room which is kept at 45% to 50% RH. Has anyone had or heard of problems with the Mexico made Taylors and bad fret ends? The guitar doesn't really seem to be that overly dried out and the fret ends are sticking out very, very badly - to the point that it seems the guitars top should be a bowl relative to how bad the fret ends are sticking out... Thanks.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:12 AM

Correction - I just checked again and the top is not completely flat anymore. There is a curve now in the top as should be, however the fret ends are still sticking out quite badly. I wouldn't think that a new factory guitar would come dried out as bad as the fret ends are sticking out, but I could be wrong... Probably just a bad fret job? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:51 AM

bump ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair