The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-28-2011, 11:26 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Ya, if I do a conventional 00 with traditional bracing it will be completely different from the Butterfly lol.
Like Neil said I am fresh off a 00 I made. I have the process down somewhat. Maybe the cutaway this time?
BTW I went over to OLF to ID this wood. We are pretty sure it is Bocote.
Has anyone worked with it? What bend temp? How was it to work with?
It looks cool.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 PM

That's going to make a really sweet looking guitar... Have fun with it!
Old 03-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Thanks Corky. BTW Yep it is neat having the stash. The other fellow bought some neat stuff.
But not everything...........
Where could I find Giant Sequoia for the top? Anyone? I saw one Harv did that was OH WOW
Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM

RC tonewoods has some nice looking tops on their site, right now.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Kurt, I was actually thinking the opposite and that he might want to start a "spec" guitar so he can get a formula down. His #3 is going very smoothly because he already blazed the trail with #1.
Y'know, that makes some sense. I guess I just see John as more of an artist than a pattern-and-repetition guy. That's why it doesn't surprise me he's eager to take a stab at a tenor guitar. (Hope you don't mind me talking about you in the third person in your own thread, John! )

Now, I've never built a guitar, but I know that when I have to teach a new college course, it takes me about three times teaching that course before I begin to feel comfortable with it. The correlation here: I'm wondering how many times it takes building the same model, as I hear Corky suggesting, before you begin to feel comfortable with that particular model. And so, yes -- the concept of building the same model makes sense to me.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Thanks Corky. BTW Yep it is neat having the stash. The other fellow bought some neat stuff.
But not everything...........
Where could I find Giant Sequoia for the top? Anyone? I saw one Harv did that was OH WOW
I would guess that the chances of finding mega-curl giant sequoia like Harvey's stuff is slim to none. Quite possible that tree was one of a kind, given the small number of giant sequoias that exist. Normally it looks pretty similar to regular coast redwood. It feels quite different though. Coast redwood is stiff and brittle... giant sequoia is floppy and stretches amazingly far before splitting. But even though it's floppy, the stiffness to weight ratio is actually pretty good because it's extremely light as well. About 21lb/ft3 by my measurement.

So... if you're just going for the look, you'll probably have better luck searching for extra colorful curly redwood.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:12 AM
happiness

The big question is, when are you going to make a romantic-style parlour with some of that Walnut in your stash?

Fliss
Old 03-31-2011, 01:36 PM

^ ooh, there ya go! Maybe with some curly maple binding and veneer on the headstock? *drool*
Old 03-31-2011, 02:01 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
The big question is, when are you going to make a romantic-style parlour with some of that Walnut in your stash?

Fliss
Soon Fliss, soon The Walnut is ready to cut down to 1/4" thick boards. Then just a year or so of airing out. I have a moisture gauge on loan from a friend for a while. I'll let you know when smile wood is ready to sing. Then we pick binding
Old 03-31-2011, 02:44 PM

Dang, that's a nice looking set of wood whatever it is. I think it'd be a great candidate to try out a nice dark tobacco burst on the top. Inlay it with some turquoise for a nice southwestern theme.

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair