The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Hmmm, what next?

#3 is coming along. Down time will be ahead while I figure out his B-Band Pickup and get it in place.
This week I will get The Butterfly closer to a more final set up.
Time to start #4
I was thinking a Tenor Guitar. But, I just ordered Blueprints for 2 of them. I think I should ask more questions first. Blue prints were cheap at Elderly's BTW. I think I want to make that one #5 instead.
So, I was thinking another 00. Maybe more "Traditional" in shape. IE; a soundhole I can get my hand in!
I do have some very old, very nice Indian Rosewood. I found a tight grained Sitka in the pile that is nice. Or I could go with Cocobolo, Koa, Olive Wood, Walnut, Osage, Oak? Or dig in the pile further?
I am not beyond buying a great Adi top. I love the lines. Also, I would love to find a Giant Sequoia for a top. I saw one Harvey Leech did that was absolutely the coolest guitar I have seen to date.
I have some interesting pre-done full scale necks. Or I can make my own shortscale from Maple, Rosewood or Mahogany. Full scale on an 00?
What combo should I do for a 00 shortscale? Can't say I'll use your choice. But, I'd love to read what combo you'd like to see. What do you think?
Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 PM

My second guitar was a shortscale 00. I would have never thought to build that one. but a friend of mine, asked me to build it for him. he had always loved his grandfather's early 30's 00-17, and he wanted something just like that. so the guitar I built was all mahogany, and I tried to make it similar as I could to what that original one was, even though I never saw it or a picture of it. It really had a lot of volume, and the mahogany I used (got it from John Hall) was just gorgeous, with nice figure throughout.

anyway, I tell you all of that, just to mention that I hadn't been attracted to smaller sizes like that. but man, what a great balanced guitar that is, and comfy to hold. i really miss that guitar. I got to live with it for about 3 months after it was strung up.

I have a KMG 14-fret 00 mold that I will sell or trade if you're interested.

for building replicas of Martins, I recommend you get in touch with John Arnold, who has scale drawings and dimensions of everything notated.

my choice from what you have would almost completely depend on what some of this stuff looks like, or whether or not I wanted to reserve the special-seeming pieces for anything else. maybe cocobolo and sitka?

I loved that all-hog, guitar though. I will be building many more of those.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:27 PM

I think I read your blog on that 00-17 build, Martin. Very cool.

Have you ever A/B'd it against a modern 00-15? Martin has radically changed their bracing on that model, and I think I like it even better than the vintage models I've played.

Personally, I think a laudable goal would be to try to build the smallest guitar you can and still get a nice sound out of it. I've been pleasantly surprised by some 0-sized and even smaller.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I think a laudable goal would be to try to build the smallest guitar you can and still get a nice sound out of it. I've been pleasantly surprised by some 0-sized and even smaller.
I second that idea.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:37 PM

Thanks, gitnoob. I never did a/b it with a new Martin but I a/b'd it with some old ones, and with the santa cruz 1929 (12 fret) 00, at elderly. it did well and got some attention. I don't know very much about the new 00-15.

small guitars do sound nice! anything that is built well and uses good materials will sound nice. you can't compare them to bigger guitars, or use a big guitar sound as a standard. they're different in character.

what woods should the Kitchen 00 be built with?
Old 03-27-2011, 06:01 PM

Come on, you can't be out of ideas already I have significantly more trouble actually getting things built than I do finding more great sets of wood that just have to be made into some specific guitar. But enalnitram's all-mahogany short scale 00 is a good idea, especially if you want to go traditional/not coated in themed inlays.

Another combo I would lean toward is redwood with that Indian rosewood or cocobolo.

Sitka/oak would be cool too, maybe with ebony bindings, herringbone rosette and purfling, slotted headstock. Maple neck? Or maybe boring ol' mahogany would look better.

Or go totally Haans and make it adi/oak and ladder braced Especially if you follow the suggestions of 0/parlor size.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM

Up for a repair? A friend of mine gave me her Rogue to tinker with. It's got a lifting bridge with a Fishman UST. The gap is clean because the finish - it's black - wasn't blocked off from the edges of the bridge so the glue-up didn't take. It smells like they used Elmer's anyway. We don't have to crack the box open or anything.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:22 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakatak View Post
Up for a repair? A friend of mine gave me her Rogue to tinker with. It's got a lifting bridge with a Fishman UST. The gap is clean because the finish - it's black - wasn't blocked off from the edges of the bridge so the glue-up didn't take. It smells like they used Elmer's anyway. We don't have to crack the box open or anything.
Why polish a turd? Don't get me wrong. Bring it by. We will return it to its mediocrity

I hear you guys on the small stuff. I love them also. But, I am 00 rigged and ready to start building what I need for the Tenor. So, on this one 00 Short or reg scale. Just gotta pick the options.
My first Parlor is going to be from Walnut Fliss picked 2 years ago! It will be #5-6 or #8. #7 is sold (A Jumbo 7 string).
Old 03-27-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post
Why polish a turd? Don't get me wrong. Bring it by. We will return it to its mediocrity

I hear you guys on the small stuff. I love them also. But, I am 00 rigged and ready to start building what I need for the Tenor. So, on this one 00 Short or reg scale. Just gotta pick the options.
My first Parlor is going to be from Walnut Fliss picked 2 years ago! It will be #5-6 or #8. #7 is sold (A Jumbo 7 string).
Check your email. I'll start a thread on it.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM

Something different than what you've accomplished already: different woods, different size, short-scale, different shape to the headstock, different style of rosette. It's time to play and learn by trying, I'd suggest.

Except for the soundhole. Might want to keep that traditional, unless you're inviting me and my skinny arms over to help you set the neck.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:11 AM

Kurt, I was actually thinking the opposite and that he might want to start a "spec" guitar so he can get a formula down. His #3 is going very smoothly because he already blazed the trail with #1.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Guys, guys, guys, can't we all just get along?

No reason why he can't do both!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:18 AM

Default Tenors are a mystery to me

Don't know much about tenor guitars, but it seems to me that the build would require some adaptation in bracing to ensure you don't overbuild it, given the lower string tension. Short scale would decrease the tension more.

I'd stick with a size you've built before - if you're anything like me, it takes a couple of tries before you iron out some of the kinks. I'm trying to remove as many new variables as I can these days to improve my "fit and finish".

What a cool situation to have your "treasure chest" of various woods to choose from. Great score! It's taken me about 5 years to pull together a significant stash to have a handful of options.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enalnitram View Post
Guys, guys, guys, can't we all just get along?

No reason why he can't do both!
Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh. John knows I say this with the utmost of respect! Please don't take it out on the stuff I've got sitting in your shop, John!
Old 03-28-2011, 11:22 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corky Long View Post
Don't know much about tenor guitars, but it seems to me that the build would require some adaptation in bracing to ensure you don't overbuild it, given the lower string tension. Short scale would decrease the tension more.

I'd stick with a size you've built before - if you're anything like me, it takes a couple of tries before you iron out some of the kinks. I'm trying to remove as many new variables as I can these days to improve my "fit and finish".

What a cool situation to have your "treasure chest" of various woods to choose from. Great score! It's taken me about 5 years to pull together a significant stash to have a handful of options.
I ordered 2 sets of blue prints for under $20 from Elderlys. I have a letter I am going to send out to a few Luthiers that build them.
Tenorguitar.com has a bunch of info if you are interested. My thing with the Tenor is there are only a few building them. When I was talking to folks at a Mandolin Concert, many expressed an interest in seeing my finished Tenor.
Within the orchestra there were many Tenor instruments including a featherweight Martin from the 1930's.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair