The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fliss View Post
No, they're not high end, but in the right hands they can make beautiful music - here's an example of a chap I know through the regular singaround I attend, Dave Burton, who favours old Ibanez dreads, here playing a John Renbourn cover:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AYGV...eature=related

Fliss
Dang, Fliss,

That was awesome playing by Dave Burton! Thanks for sharing that; I have always loved that song and have never heard anyone besides John Renbourn play it before. That was terrific!

You are certainly right about the guitar in the right hands!

- Glenn
Old 10-01-2017, 04:07 AM

In answer to the high end question , Yes Ibanez did make some high end acoustics in the form of the Artwood range. You must undersrand that Artwoods from '79-83 are superior to Artwoods after that date. I own 2 along with a top of the line Tama and they are some of the best Acoustics I own.
Old 10-01-2017, 04:20 AM

No, but there is a lot of variation between models and sound quality in recent, current models.

I have two I love, AC240opn and an AVD1 12 fret.

I've played other models that were not so good. Play and listen before buying.

~Dave
~Music self-played is happiness self-made
Old 10-01-2017, 04:41 AM

That price range in general is not considered "high end", as high end means just that - you can't go any higher. Also, I'm having trouble to imagine what the "entry level high end" would be. If you want an entry level model from a "high end" brand line-up, then both Taylor and Martin have models within the price range. If you want a good sounding, very playable instrument that can comfortably be used in professional applications, then there's plenty to choose from, and certainly some Ibanez models fit the bill, as do Yamaha, Seagull and many more.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Question posted 7 years ago. For a moment there, I thought Fliss was back among us.

But, others may be interested.

Personally, I've never thought of them as high-end guitars but I haven't played all of the models they offer. Still, I'd have a hard time categorically calling them high end. Of course, some individual examples might be nice guitars.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:54 AM

They discontinued it, but they're easy to find. The parlor-sized all-solid mahogany AVN2OPN. Beautiful warm tone from a 12-fret with a deep box.

Naples, FL

1972 Martin D18 (Kimsified, so there!)
Alvarez Yairi PYM70
Yamaha LS-TA with sunburst finish
Republic parlor resonator
Too many ukeleles
Old 10-01-2017, 09:01 AM

They wouldn't be classified as high end, but some of their guitars would compete with what would be considered higher end.

I was shopping with a young man for his first acoustic. I saw a used Ibanez Performance (or was it PerformER? so confusing) at the local GC, picked it up, strummed it and was extremely impressed. Price tag on it was $169. I played is some more, let him play and then we went back into the "high end" room with all the Martins and Taylors. Without question this guitar sounded as good as their D28 hanging on the wall.

So while this Ibanez wouldn't be considered a high end guitar, it played one on TV .
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 10-01-2017, 09:16 AM

https://youtu.be/8QxxzB6TYpo

I guess it depends who's playing it!!

Last edited by Jeff Reinhart; 10-01-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:06 AM

Hi Daza - you do not mention the budget you are looking in, but since you already have a Yamaha you would be wise to check out the Yamaha LL/LS series. LL16 (dread) and LS16 (folk or OM size) are both great guitars, all solid wood, and can be had used from $400-$650 depending on condition, etc.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 10-01-2017, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbyPrague View Post
The older Ibanez models from the 70's and early 80's would be considered reasonable quality.

Thats when Ibanez copied a lot of the Gibson models. I have an 83 Ibanez Concord which is a Gibson Hummingbird copy and the overall tone and quality is reasonably high.

It certainly does not have the warmth of a Gibson, mainly as the back and sides are laminates, but has a big, full, balaned tone, with an emphasis on mids.

I have mine permanently tuned down half a step which gives it a more mellow and warmer sound.

If you come across one of those vintage models do consider it.

cheers.
I would agree here 100 per cent. I have a late 70's M340 dred made in Japan which is very good, in fact it's superb especially as I paid very little for it and had it refurbished. But........it's not a Gibson and lacks the depth and articulation as stated !!
Eastman OM1
Ibanez M-340 Japan
Simon & Patrick SP12
Harmony mandolin
Old 10-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_A View Post
I highly recommend the ibanez artwood series, good value for money and IMO ranks up there with yamahas and seagulls of the same price range.
I'm another non-fan of the artwoods. IMHO they are laminated up just for aesthetics, not tone. Like we say about motorcycles - "chrome don't get you home." I'll go for tone and playability over pretty veneer any day.

I once had a 1980's Ibanez Musician electric, crafted in Japan. Absolutely beautiful looks, tone and playability. When I realized I'm just not an electric guitar player I discovered these are highly sought after and sold it for nearly three times what I paid.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:30 PM

My AVD10 is pretty is great. All solid wood, torrified top, back and sides. It hangs with my other two guitars but doesn't have all the overtones, it has a more fundemental Gibson-like sound.

2008 Martin SWDGT
2003 Larrivée D-03R
2016 Ibanez AVD10
2016 Ibanez AW4000
2001 Liberty LIB100 Resonator
Old 10-01-2017, 01:43 PM

Most of the comments are referring to modern day Artwoods, they pale into insignificance if you compare to the late 70s early 80s models. I have played the AW200 original Japanese model adorned with mother of pearl. That was truly exceptional. There seems to be alot of ignorance and confusion surrounding Artwood models. As for the issue of 'high end', again Ibanez DID MAKE A HIGH END range in the Artwoods. For example the top model cost 200,000 yen back in 1979. That was a heck of a lot of money then as it is now. But i guess its do to with there rarity that most people dont know them....

But that suits me, as I regard them very much.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:02 PM
Guest316

This thread is 7 years old, but I'll throw in a response. Ibanez acoustics are some of the most solid and practical club-level giggers on the market. They're certainly not "high end" if you want to compare them to GibsonMartinTaylor, but for getting the job done in a local club/coffee house/restaurant there are very few that can match Ibanez in practicality and solid build. I used an AEL Maple Jumbo for about 5 years to make a living, although I owned Gibson and K Yairi instruments that rested at home on most gig nights.

Their advantage is in playability, expense and electronics. They have some nice touches for a stage guitar - for example in addition to a 1/4" jack, they include an XLR so a player can plug directly into the PA without the extra cable and direct box. The tuner on their barn-door is deadly accurate and easy. The EQs work.

I don't know about other cities, but in my town you'll see more Ibanez acoustics in small rooms than most other makes. Gibsons are for the Couches and the Concerts, but the clubs see a lot of "Iba-Action"
Old 10-01-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
Question posted 7 years ago. For a moment there, I thought Fliss was back among us.

But, others may be interested.

Personally, I've never thought of them as high-end guitars but I haven't played all of the models they offer. Still, I'd have a hard time categorically calling them high end. Of course, some individual examples might be nice guitars.
Yup... you know a thread is old when you (me) posted in it 7 years ago and don't remember at all.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion