The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2020, 07:13 PM

Default Why is my D string buzzing when played open?

Hi all, I bought a new acoustic recently, a Taylor 214ce. I changed strings on it for the first time tonight. Same gauge of strings. After stringing I am noticing that the D string has a very slight but consistent buzz when played open with my thumb. There is no buzz present when I play it with a pick, or when I fret the string in any fret. The buzz is so slight it can't be picked up on recording with my phone. I considered that it was possibly a dud string and tried another string but got the same result. I mixed up the bridge pins (I forgot which ones went where), but I matched them up in slots where they looked like they were seated nicely.

It's hard to describe the buzzing sound, it is very slight, and it doesn't seem like fret buzz really--I looked up and down the fretboard while playing and couldn't really see it making contact with the frets.

Do you all have any suggestions? I've been playing seriously for a year now but am not super well-versed in doing much to my guitar other than playing it and restringing it lol, I have never touched the truss rod. Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by FiggyPudding18; 02-18-2020 at 07:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:12 PM

Make sure the nut slot is the appropriate width, and angled down toward the tuners so the last contact point is at the fretboard edge.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyPudding18 View Post
Hi all, I bought a new acoustic recently, a Taylor 214ce. I changed strings on it for the first time tonight. Same gauge of strings. After stringing I am noticing that the D string has a very slight but consistent buzz when played open with my thumb. There is no buzz present when I play it with a pick, or when I fret the string in any fret. The buzz is so slight it can't be picked up on recording with my phone. I considered that it was possibly a dud string and tried another string but got the same result. I mixed up the bridge pins (I forgot which ones went where), but I matched them up in slots where they looked like they were seated nicely.

It's hard to describe the buzzing sound, it is very slight, and it doesn't seem like fret buzz really--I looked up and down the fretboard while playing and couldn't really see it making contact with the frets.

Do you all have any suggestions? I've been playing seriously for a year now but am not super well-versed in doing much to my guitar other than playing it and restringing it lol, I have never touched the truss rod. Any advice is appreciated.
I know exactly what the problem is, since have the same on my 214-K-DLX. Pickup wiring inside touch the sides of guitar buzzing on open D.
I simply pull them slightly out.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:18 AM

It could be a lot of things including a bad string. Does it make the same buzz when you play other lower D notes? Also check that the tuner knobs and the tuners them selves are all screwed tight. One good test is to play the open D listening for the buzz while holding each tuner knob. IF it goes away then you know which knob is loose. And definitely check electronic wiring as well. I would not at this point suspect the nut since you are used to this guitar and only noticing it now with a new set of strings of the same gauge, but ya never know.
Old 02-19-2020, 11:55 AM

This buzz got me mad. It’s very difficult to locate. I have checked everything: tuners, nut, saddle, battery compartment. Eventually somebody at Taylor forum recommended to look inside for loose wire. And that was it! Wire vibrate and only on open D. I guess it’s common issue for 214 line.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black-n-Nan View Post
This buzz got me mad. It’s very difficult to locate. I have checked everything: tuners, nut, saddle, battery compartment. Eventually somebody at Taylor forum recommended to look inside for loose wire. And that was it! Wire vibrate and only on open D. I guess it’s common issue for 214 line.
I feel like this could be it. Where specifically was the wire touching for you? Was it the side that your arm rests on?
Old 02-21-2020, 11:59 PM

Yes. Wires go along this side to the knobs. The ideal solution would be adding few cable clips in between. I simply pulled wires between the clips to avoid them touching the side.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair