The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-03-2020, 03:38 AM

Default A 'stable' capo

Hallo , I use to put permanently a capo on second fret ad retuning at the correct pitch , in order to make more playable my guitar . So , I'm searching for a capo with the main requirement not to damage the wood of the neck ! ( if this is a bad habit ) thanks
Old 02-03-2020, 07:16 AM

Any good capo is not supposed to harm the finish. But I would not leave it on permanently. I did that, once only, with a Shubbs and it sort of polished the finish underneath. That would have been fine only it no longer matched the rest of the guitar. It is no big deal to remove or reinstall it, just seconds of your time.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

If you are always going to put the capo pretty much on the same fret, once you find the right pressure with a clamp capo such as a Shubb, you should be able to remove and replace without much tweaking. I wouldn't recommend leaving one on. Over time will probably mar the finish.

Best,
Jayne
Old 02-03-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

Recently purchased a G7th Heritage Capo. I use slightly heavier than medium gauge strings..and this is by far the easiest capo to tighten up over the frets.
This capo uses an Adaptive Radius Technology. Just a couple of turns and it is on with the right pitch and no damage to the back of the neck. Of all the capo's I have owned or tried, the easiest to adjust with seemingly less tension. I believe this is so because of the Adaptive Radius Technology. It adapts to what every neck radius is on your guitar. Thus less twists to clamp it down as it is clamping evenly.
It is of course a bit more expensive, but worth every cent for its ease of use and great tonal transfer.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:17 PM

I would not leave one on. Nothing is faster and easier than a Kayser. I have capos from almost every maker and prefer one for some things and others for other applications. To me the most important aspect of any capo is that it is compatible with the neck radius of the guitar(s) you want to use it on.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
If you are always going to put the capo pretty much on the same fret, once you find the right pressure with a clamp capo such as a Shubb, you should be able to remove and replace without much tweaking. I wouldn't recommend leaving one on. Over time will probably mar the finish.
My recommendation is the same as Jayne’s. Get a Shubb capo, which you can find in virtually any music store. Tune the strings where you like to tune them, then adjust the Shubb capo for the second fret, which should take you less than a minute once the capo’s in place.

Once you’ve done that, then the capo will be ready to go whenever you take the guitar out of its case.

Leaving the capo on all the time is not a great idea. But once you have the capo dialed in like this, it only takes a couple of seconds to put it in place and then take it off when you’re done playing.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-03-2020, 06:18 PM

c'mon folks. Let's be honest here. It takes 5 seconds to install any capo on any guitar. It's not an inconvenience to install a capo, in a few seconds, to play your guitar. No special capo or technique required.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:51 AM

I really thank you for the inputs .

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion