The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-20-2020, 07:13 AM

Default Sell or keep

I'm 70 years old. I have 3 beautiful playing and sounding Bourgeois (OMC, OO, O) that I bought custom ordered between 2010 and 2014. Around 2015, I bought a Buscarino Cabaret (nylon crossover). Since that time, I've barely touched my steel strings. Seriously. I used to change strings on each of the once a month. In the past 5 years, I've played them so little that I haven't changed the strings 5 times in 5 years. They just sit in their cases in my humidified music room at home. Every once in a while, I take them out and play them and marvel at how great they are and swear I will never sell them. Then I pick up my Buscarino Cabaret crossover and have absolutely no desire to play my other guitars. I live everything about my Cabaret better. The feel, the neck, the nut width, the number of frets to the body, the sound. Fit my style of music and playing better. I play better on it. But for some reason, I can't seem to let go of my Bourgeois babies. I'm not desperate for money, but, then again, it seems a waste to just have them sitting in their cases. I know this is a time worn question on here, but, do I keep them or sell them? Please, no abusive responses. Serious question.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 01-20-2020, 07:26 AM

Sell them.
You’re asking for confirmation of something that’s eating your lunch. You have already said why you don’t want to keep them. Letting go can be a very enriching experience, especially letting go of materialistic things.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-20-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Sell them.
You’re asking for confirmation of something that’s eating your lunch.
Yes, that's very true. And, while they are wonderful, they are not one of a kind.

Buscarino Cabaret
Bourgeois OMC (Adi/Madagascar)
Bourgeois OO (Aged Tone Adi/Mahogany)
Bourgeois 0 (Italian spruce/Madagascar)
Old 01-20-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Sell them.
You’re asking for confirmation of something that’s eating your lunch. You have already said why you don’t want to keep them. Letting go can be a very enriching experience, especially letting go of materialistic things.
I've experienced this. A lightness of the heart that comes about once not weighed down by excess stuff.

I almost always feel better after I've sold something. Esp if I've been going backwards and forwards about selling it. You fret so much, then it's gone, and the world doesn't stop. You take a breath and feel better.

p.s. If you really can't bear to sell them, why not permanent loan them to me? I'll keep them safe for you - in a climate-controlled room - , and give them back if you change your mind. Unless I move house. Then you're stuffed

For a more serious version of the above, do you have any friends or relatives that would appreciate them? If the money could be doing some real good for you then cash them in, but if you don't need the dough, would someone else like the guitars? And I don't mean your wife's hairdressers brain-dead 14-year-old cousin that'll put stickers on the front and attempt to play Sex Pistols on them and leave them lent up against the radiator while not in use.

Last edited by RalphH; 01-20-2020 at 07:47 AM.
Old 01-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Guitars of that quality belong in the hands of someone who will make maximum use of them. Every day.

Since you have three, why not sell the OM and the 0, and keep the middle-sized 00?

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 01-20-2020, 07:53 AM

Larry,
Do you have a child or grand child that plays?
If yes, I’d let them select one to keep your memory alive.
Then sell the other two.
This way you divest yourself of guitars that should be being played.
And you leave a legacy that can be passed on.

Alvarez 5013
Alvarez MD70CE
Alvarez PD85S
Alvarez AJ60SC
Alvarez ABT610e
Alvarez-Yairi GY1
Takamine P3DC
Takamine GJ72CE-12-NAT
Godin Multiac Steel.
Journey Instruments OF660
Gibson G45
Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

If you don't play them then sell them...
Old 01-20-2020, 08:01 AM
Charter Member

If it were me I'd sell 2 and keep one. That way if steel itch ever reappeared I would be prepared and not get GAS.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:04 AM

Keep them until you financially have to let them go. They might be in cases now but what if in a few years your attitude changes and you start to want to play them again? I almost sold two of my guitars that hadn't been used in over a year and now I play them constantly.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 AM

I would keep my favorite and sell the other two. You know what would eventually happen if you sold all three and then on those every once in a while days . . .
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-20-2020, 08:06 AM
Charter Member

You have nice guitars that you don't play but you still love. If you feel that you won't go back to playing them at this point in your life, you still have the opportunity to choose to whom they go. You don't have to sell them on the open market. Sure, you won't see as much money out of them but money isn't everything. You can still feel good about them and possibly even see them every now and then.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Not to get too analytical here, but generally when I reach the point of asking for feedback on such a decision, I already know deep down what I should do.
That extra little sliver of validation is just the bump I need to go ahead and do it.

~ Paul

Old 01-20-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

The conventional wisdom of the AGF is that used guitars, that are not collectables, are valued at about 60% of retail. However, Bourgeois guitars are known for their quality build and have a reputation for great sound, so you might be able to get more.
You state that you are not in need of the funds, but keep in mind it is currently a buyers’ market. If you want to sell then sell, but expect to take a bit of a loss when selling.

I would keep one steel string in he house, just in case you get the desire to strum away. I like the idea of trying to keep it in the family.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 01-20-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
If it were me I'd sell 2 and keep one. That way if steel itch ever reappeared I would be prepared and not get GAS.
I agree with this.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

Tough decision, I can relate. I recently sold a couple of nice Yairis to get my collection down to 3. Three is a good number for me. It can sometimes feel good to get rid of stuff (even though your "stuff" is really nice).

I'd sell them. Guitars are meant to be played.

Or maybe keep one, as others have mentioned, just to have something different to play if you choose.

Good luck with your decision.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion