The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-31-2013, 04:33 AM

Smile shaved saddle messed up pickup

Hi all
I wanted to lower the action on my guitar so i went ahead and shaved the saddle, (did not think before hand that it had an undersaddle pickup) now when i play it with the pick up it sounds fuzzy , its ok without pluging it in, well one string seems a bit twingy... how do i fix it ? any ideas ?
thanks
Old 01-31-2013, 09:06 AM

The bottom of the saddle should be absolutely flat and perpendicular to the sides.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:12 PM

Get some 320 grit sandpaper laid face up on a flat surface. Get a wood block with a 90 degree angle, put the block on the sandpaper, and while holding the block firmly, use it as a guide for the saddle as you rub its bottom edge lengthwise on the sandpaper.

If you color the bottom of the saddle with a pencil before rubbing it, you can easily visually check at intervals to see when you get it flat. This will show you where (or if) you missed getting some places flat.

Some saddles, I must say, if they are too thin they will tilt forward. In this case it sometimes helps if the bottom of the saddle is matched to this angle, rather than a true 90 degrees. If this seems so, put a shim under one side of the 90 degree wooden block to match the desired angle.

I expect 90 degrees will be the best.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
lower action problems, pickup fuzz, undersaddle