The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairpuller View Post
Could it be these payments arenít only lining the pockets of administration?
Could be, but my wife and I were talking about how we used to hear about someone flunking out of university and dropping out or dropping back to a community college.

Seems like we never hear about that anymore, so the standards appear to be dropped for everyone, not just the cheaters.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
So you were taught how to think instead of what to think . You lucky devil .
I do feel lucky! As stubborn as I am, I don't think I'd fare as well in today's schools where, as you say, the students are taught what to think.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:48 PM

I attended three colleges (UCSB, Fullerton SU (postgrad), LaVerne, back in the '60s. I was admitted to several others (CMC, UCLA, UCSD, all the State schools) based upon performance. And one more in the '80s (masters). My father and I are the only family members who were not educators.

From the environment where I grew up, not one person is surprised by these allegations. This is a typical situation these days - media has finally gotten a bulldog grip on an age-old, time-honored, unfair, and very common procedure. I suspect the thin edge of the problem became visible during the recent Harvard lawsuit.

At 70, family firmly entrenched in the education field, we all think it'd be nice to see it stopped. But I think, after the big furor blows over, it will go underground, and back to business as usual.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbler View Post
I do feel lucky! As stubborn as I am, I don't think I'd fare as well in today's schools where, as you say, the students are taught what to think.
I know that I would have a snowball's chance in the warm place of a chance .
I have never feared learning and I have never feared to challenge anyone when I believed that I had a valid point .
Old 03-14-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I attended three colleges (UCSB, Fullerton SU (postgrad), LaVerne, back in the '60s. I was admitted to several others (CMC, UCLA, UCSD, all the State schools) based upon performance. And one more in the '80s (masters). My father and I are the only family members who were not educators.

From the environment where I grew up, not one person is surprised by these allegations. This is a typical situation these days - media has finally gotten a bulldog grip on an age-old, time-honored, unfair, and very common procedure. I suspect the thin edge of the problem became visible during the recent Harvard lawsuit.

At 70, family firmly entrenched in the education field, we all think it'd be nice to see it stopped. But I think, after the big furor blows over, it will go underground, and back to business as usual.
It takes guts to turn away from the path as you and your father did .
I am curious as to what paths the both of you took , if you don't mind divulging them .
Old 03-14-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Well the good news is DJ, Stephanie, and Michelle Tanner got into University of Southern California!
I worked there for a year, and learned what USC, and UCLA, really stand for.

As for "Hollywood types", I got to know quite a few; perhaps the ones I knew where not really the "Hollywood types".

Last edited by Jeff Scott; 03-15-2019 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

Is it ok to still have a crush on Lori? I just canít let her go yet.....
Elixir PB Lights
Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany
Mesa Boogie Single Rectifier
Fender Silver Bullet HRDLX
Bogner Red and Blue OD
SWR Strawberry Blond
Dunlop Tortex Blue 1.0mm picks
Rock Steady celluloid heavy picks
Old 03-15-2019, 05:47 AM
Charter Picker

IMO this has very little to do with higher education and everything to do with our society. At times it seems we value money and what it buys above all else. If you have enough money, you are able to dodge rules and societal norms at every point from paying off a maitre de to skip a line at a restaurant to avoiding paying a fair share of taxes or receiving undeserved benefits in the criminal justice system. Rules don’t apply to the rich and powerful.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
IMO this has very little to do with higher education...
Agreed. The condemnations of higher education are baffling to me. I never experienced one minute of what some are attributing to the entire system.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
Agreed. The condemnations of higher education are baffling to me. I never experienced one minute of what some are attributing to the entire system.
Of course not. It seems unlikely that those making the condemnations actually have any first hand experience with the system.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
IMO this has very little to do with higher education and everything to do with our society. At times it seems we value money and what it buys above all else. If you have enough money, you are able to dodge rules and societal norms at every point from paying off a maitre de to skip a line at a restaurant to avoiding paying a fair share of taxes or receiving undeserved benefits in the criminal justice system. Rules donít apply to the rich and powerful.
Welcome to the new Gilded Age.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Is it ok to still have a crush on Lori? I just canít let her go yet.....
Looking forward to her next spin off!
Old 03-15-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Some interesting info about one of the couples and the attitude of their two daughters towards education in general. Also, that they are now finding out "who their real friends are."
https://people.com/tv/college-admiss...nulli-friends/
1968 Guild F-112
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Gibson Firebird V 2015
Vox SDC-33
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Taylor T5Z Pro LTD
Old 03-15-2019, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
That video of that kid saying she wants the college experience, parties and all, but has no use for school - is classic.
What a way to start "adult-hood", by admitting you are a mooch!
2016 Taylor K26ce all Koa
Old 03-15-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Really? Do these people have no shame???? Can their kids not get into college the old-fashioned way by actually getting good grades, taking the SATs themselves and actually participating on athletic teams? https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/13/us/wh...dal/index.html

This is the least surprising scandal I’ve seen in recent years. The top tier way for rich people to get their kids into school is donating money for a new building at the college. This stuff (or similar stuff) has always happened since Ivy League colleges came into existence. Let’s not fool ourselves that this is some new atrocity. These guys just happened to be caught

Last edited by Kerbie; 03-15-2019 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic