The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
My apologies... the admins apparently disabled the social groups earlier this year.
Many of the guitars we admit to owning are expensive, and this is the internet with global reach.

Given security concerns and liability I'm astonished any website facilitates get togethers.

Never in a zillion years would I attend or host such an event.
Sadly, the world has changed.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tachyon_ View Post
There should be a forum just for this purpose...
Most other forums do have such, this forum being a blatant exception.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:00 PM

I don't agree with Tico's post at all...In fact, I am planning an event right now if anyone is interested. Go look in the custom section and you will see it. We will have security on site via armed off duty police as well as security cameras, also an area like a coat room with an attendant to check guitars in and out...

To be honest, although addressing security it was not my biggest concern. We will have luthiers, workshops, concerts, Michael Watts coming in from England, food, drinks, and hopefully lots of impromptu playing.

Let me know if interested. We have a very nice group of people coming so far and we are very excited. Luthiers include, Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, Ben Wilborn, Steve Kinnaird, Ryan Middlebrook, Edwinson guitars, Two Hands Guitar Co. and Gerry Humphrey who makes custom acoustic amps.

Just sayin...
Old 10-19-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I don't agree with Tico's post at all...
No problem.
To each their own.

I do wish you all the best on your event.

I do attend many events locally, but none where the location, date, & time is published on the Internet or emailed or texted to the applicants.
Post cards with date, time and location are snail-mailed to the physical address of those who'd like to attend.
IDs are checked at the door.

Last edited by Tico; 10-20-2018 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Many of the guitars we admit to owning are expensive, and this is the internet with global reach.

Given security concerns and liability I'm astonished any website facilitates get togethers.

Never in a zillion years would I attend or host such an event.
Sadly, the world has changed.
In regards to liability and the Forum facilitating a gathering, I’m not a legal expert so I don’t have a clue

But when I was living in NYC I went to several AGF gatherings, some in a private residence and one in a common room of a high rise. All of them were a blast and I got to play some amazing guitar and hang out with wonderful people. Yes, we should always stay vigilant about scammers, thieves, and seedy characters, but not to the point of not having some fun.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 10-19-2018, 09:19 PM

I think Meet Up is a good place to find what you're looking for. I am subscribed to many groups and it's not hard to find a jam.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I don't agree with Tico's post at all...In fact, I am planning an event right now if anyone is interested. Go look in the custom section and you will see it. We will have security on site via armed off duty police as well as security cameras, also an area like a coat room with an attendant to check guitars in and out...

To be honest, although addressing security it was not my biggest concern. We will have luthiers, workshops, concerts, Michael Watts coming in from England, food, drinks, and hopefully lots of impromptu playing.

Let me know if interested. We have a very nice group of people coming so far and we are very excited. Luthiers include, Bruce Sexauer, Jason Kostal, Ben Wilborn, Steve Kinnaird, Ryan Middlebrook, Edwinson guitars, Two Hands Guitar Co. and Gerry Humphrey who makes custom acoustic amps.

Just sayin...
Wow, Tom!

This sounds wonderful! Good for you! I wish you the best on this event!

- Glenn
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Wow, Tom!

This sounds wonderful! Good for you! I wish you the best on this event!

- Glenn

Thank you, It has been a lot of work so far, but if we get good attendance it will be a success and something we would like to do annually and make it better each year. I feel like my wife and I have planned a great event, but we can't force people to come LOL.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Anyone want to acoustic jam between San Luis and LA CA please let me know.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Most other forums do have such, this forum being a blatant exception.
As Glennwillow pointed out, the AGF has an entire subforum dedicated to, Events and New Releases. The description of that subforum reads, "Announce upcoming events of interest to acoustic guitar players."
Old 10-20-2018, 10:20 AM

I live in south jersey, cherry hill area. I have been looking to join a group for a while now but no luck finding one.
Anyone in my area interested ?
Custom Tele
Taylor 814ce
And what evers next
Old 10-20-2018, 10:44 AM

For my 2 cents worth, song circles are more interesting than jams... play along if you know the song, otherwise everyone gets to showcase what they like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I have been to a maybe a half dozen AGF gatherings over the years... In general, they were not jams, however. They usually ended up as song circles.

Now back living in Baja Sur where I started my carbon fiber journey... Bend OR was too cold!
Old 10-20-2018, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billder99 View Post
For my 2 cents worth, song circles are more interesting than jams... play along if you know the song, otherwise everyone gets to showcase what they like.
I very much agree! In fact, on occasion I remember someone trying to start a jam and it really was not terribly successful since only a few players had the skills to contribute.

- Glenn
Old 10-22-2018, 06:58 PM

I just want to sit and play with someone who is kind and generous with their knowledge and I will be kind and generous with what I know which is admittedly not much. So, I guess that means a "circle" as opposed to a "jam".

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 10-22-2018, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Song circles are great - I’m part of a local group here (Fairbanks, AK) that hosts a weekly “jam/song circle” that is open to all acoustic players and vocalists, regardless of skill or instrument. We’ve been doing it for 20 years, places have changed, people have changed but we get anywhere from 5-15 people and it often generates a house party at least monthly as well as local seasonal gatherings. They do work but you do have to be willing to figure out how to make it work.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion