The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-01-2004, 03:47 PM

Default Building Extension Speaker Cabinets

I am looking for a website or book that would explain the finer points of building speaker cabinets. I have never built speaker cabinets before, and I am assuming there are optimum dimensions, thicknesses of wood, types of wood, etc. depending on the application of the finished good (e.g. PA speakers, home stereo speakers, etc.). Specifically, I have two 10” JBL loudspeakers that I want to place into one cabinet as an extension to my guitar amplifier. I’m hoping to find a website or book that explains cabinet design and wiring considerations.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:18 AM
O'Dadgad rules.

Default speaker cabinetry

i'd check out Daedalusmusic.com They build hardwood cabinetry with dovetailed joints and such. There's also a local guy i know who builds speaker cabinets, but i think uses plywood exlcusively. stay away from particle-board and MDF-they're heavy, don't hold up as well as solid or plywood, and absorb moisture as well. Hope this helps.
The Family
The Les Paul I built

My live rig:
Mogami Gold TRS
Rane AP13
Ultrasound AG-50DS2, Fishman Loudbox
Boss RC-50
PP2+
Old 09-02-2004, 01:02 PM

You might want to try and track down SpeakerLab in the Seattle area, who produce (or at least used to) some fine stereo speaker systems of their own and who used to sell, I think, kits to assemble your own... They might have some materials or at least info for you..... Just an idea....

- SL
Old 09-03-2004, 08:54 AM

Thanks guys for the tips. Leaving today for the mountains (no DSL or telephones) so I'll research your suggestions next week. Have a nice Labor Day holiday.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification