The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-01-2004, 12:46 PM

As a response to the "Freebird!" chant (or any of the type) I would suggest something along the line of "Wow,... love that song, just don't do it any justice" or something like a buddy of mine always says "I only do my own stuff so you don't know when I'm screwing up."

A good rule from many a web forum applies equally to live gigs... DON'T FLAME BAIT! The minute you offer some snippy remark back to "the skynyrd guy", you open yourself up for heckling for the rest of the night.

By the way, I think properly placed covers can be great. I have seen several original artists over the years that I just couldn't warm up to until they did a cover of something I knew. When people don't know where you are coming from a good cover can provide a roadmap of sorts (primarily when you do it "your way" and not by the book).

Oh yea... almost forgot one of my favorite ways to handle the "skynyrd guy". Learn Freebird! the long version is best...even better if you don't do it all that well Typically by the time you are halfway through it, that guy will have gotten his rear kicked by the rest of the audience and you won't be bothered again.

http://www.myspace.com/jasmusicspace
1996 Seagull S12 Plus
Old 09-01-2004, 01:03 PM

That's an enviable problem to have. The only request I get is to stop playing.
Gibson L-200

Rickenbacker 360
Old 09-01-2004, 01:13 PM

I LOVE playing requests and covers and I do about 450 of them in my live act. I actually pass around a songlist and I encourage audience requests.

But I realize I am fortunate in that I just happen to really enjoy playing a lot of popular tunes. I understand why some musicians would not want to play songs they don't like, and why they might feel artistically compromised if they did so.

Still, I am an entertainer. I am getting paid to provide a service. I don't particularly enjoy people yelling "Freebird" or asking for "more Buffet", but like someone else said, it isn't my job to educate people on my particular taste in music. I do a lot of popular covers. I try to do them well. I get a fair amount of work because of it. I feel fortunate.

So I don't hate requests, but I used to HATE it when people asked me to play original songs. Ten years ago, I didn't have any original songs I thought were all that great, but I knew about two hundred songs. I thought it was a huge insult when people would say things like, "Play something of yours, so we can see who YOU are as an artist." They were just trying to compliment me, and I knew that, but I still hated it because the implication was that if I only played covers I wasn't "an artist".

I'm glad I got over it. I write lots of songs that I am proud of now. For info about my original album (2003) or a list of cover songs I perform, check out my site at www.elizabethroth.com

Elizabeth
Old 09-01-2004, 01:39 PM

a good insult is: "Do you believe this guy actually beat out 100,000 other sperm?"

Seriously, you are letting this get to you. Playing out is entertaining.

-My brother also teamed up with a guy that did not really play that well, but knew how to work a crowd. He was an entertainer first, guitarist musician second. As a team they did great!
Old 09-01-2004, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ
A dumb song request is always better than "Is this what you do for a living?" or, "I used to do what you do when I was in law school." Just smile and put up with it.
Sort of in the same category...

Years ago, some drunk guy came up to me between sets and said, "Your singing voice reminds me of one of the guys in Seals and Crofts. Not the Crofts guy, but the other one, what's his name again?" I thought I'd take a stab, so I said, "Seals?" He said, "Yeah, yeah, that's the one. You remind me of him."

So I said, "Well, thanks a lot," and he told me, "I didn't mean it as a compliment."

AB
www.bobmccann.com
Old 09-01-2004, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcapulcoBob
So I said, "Well, thanks a lot," and he told me, "I didn't mean it as a compliment."

AB
www.bobmccann.com
Ouch!

One of my drunks was so loud throughout the entire set, and then afterwards came up to me and said "Man, I really like your playing & singing, but I couldn't hear you."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification