The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-03-2004, 03:47 PM

Why cut a hole in your guitar? There are several excellent blender systems, with volume/mix controls installed just inside the sound hole.

2 excellent systems, are the LR Baggs iMix and the B-Band A2.2. There's no reason to resort to violence against your guitar.

1997 Taylor 814ce
Goodall AKJ
Old 09-04-2004, 08:06 AM

Default yeah

Quote:
There are several excellent blender systems, with volume/mix controls installed just inside the sound hole.

yeah, i run the Fishman Matrix into the Ellipse Blend and i think it sounds great.

2003 Taylor 310 with fishman matrix II/ellipse blend upgrade -> boss tu-2 -> line6 dl-4 w/ exp pedal -> fender acoustasonic jr
Old 09-05-2004, 07:20 AM

Someone here did just this thing, mmm, may a year and half ago. They even posted pic's of the jig he used to route out the guitar. Although it worked out...

I cringed with each picture as it happened, just as if it was some bloody surgery and could feel each cut.
Baby M
'01 414ce ltd Koa
50's MiM Strat
Baby LTG
'01 410ce ltd Koa
Nashville Delux
MM Sterling
Old 09-05-2004, 10:37 PM

My other hobby is woodworking, and am fairly comfortable with it. About six months ago, I posted a WTB thread for the blender system with a notch filter. I was just about to purchase, and inquired with the local Taylor dealer's tech about installation. Keep in mind that I've known this guy about five years, and he is competent. He told me that he wouldn't do it; it was too risky with a very high chance that the wood would splinter. He recommended either sending it back to the factory or a local luthier (who builds custom instruments). I contacted the luthier, who said that he would need to glue in a backing plate to prevent splitting. The cost was $WOW. Judging by the cost of installation, I figured that this was in the too-hard-to-do category.
Never one to give up, I decided to try it on one of my beaters. Even with the backing plate, the side did split. I was able to repair it, though, I'm glad that it wasn't one of my Taylors.
My recommendation: if you really want the blender, find an instrument with it already installed. Less stress!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:11 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomfieldMAP
Someone here did just this thing, mmm, may a year and half ago. They even posted pic's of the jig he used to route out the guitar.
I remember that one. I was thinking the guy was both good and lucky.

I'm thinking we need to start a national SPCG orgainzation so that we can stop this kind of behavior.

Society for the
Prevention of
Cruelty to
Guitars

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification