The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-15-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wren View Post
Hey RJ ... the endpin?
Yup Took me a while to realise there wasn't any (and that was the source for a bit of confusion).

I think the piece you chose to present her voice was perfect (what was it, btw?). Most instruments sound good when playing only open strings, it's when playing more complex harmonies in less happy keys that you can hear how good an instrument is. And that works with any kind of "naturalistic" recording.
Here, I hear a very well balanced instrument with plenty of resonance and detail, rich lows, mids and very sweet trebles (I almost forgot I was listening to steel strings).

I discovered long ago that the best way to evaluate a recording/interpretation is not to play it under optimal conditions where I'm doing nothing but listening to it. Instead, I play it over the same good equipment but while doing something with other parts of my brain (e.g. studying some text, coding some software). A good interpretation will not interfere and could even have a constructive effect, but anything "off" will annoy me even if I hardly notice it while listening attentively. No reason the same wouldn't apply to assessing how an instrument sounds. I'll try that later tonight with your recording

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-15-2019, 06:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
David,
Do you not slot the bridge pin slots? If not, what is your thinking on this?

Steve
Old 05-16-2019, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Beautiful guitar, and vey unique appointments. Looking forward to the sound samples.
Thanks Chuck ... very much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Yup Took me a while to realise there wasn't any (and that was the source for a bit of confusion).

I think the piece you chose to present her voice was perfect (what was it, btw?). Most instruments sound good when playing only open strings, it's when playing more complex harmonies in less happy keys that you can hear how good an instrument is. And that works with any kind of "naturalistic" recording.
Here, I hear a very well balanced instrument with plenty of resonance and detail, rich lows, mids and very sweet trebles (I almost forgot I was listening to steel strings).

I discovered long ago that the best way to evaluate a recording/interpretation is not to play it under optimal conditions where I'm doing nothing but listening to it. Instead, I play it over the same good equipment but while doing something with other parts of my brain (e.g. studying some text, coding some software). A good interpretation will not interfere and could even have a constructive effect, but anything "off" will annoy me even if I hardly notice it while listening attentively. No reason the same wouldn't apply to assessing how an instrument sounds. I'll try that later tonight with your recording
Interesting observations René ... I'll have to try your listening technique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
David,
Do you not slot the bridge pin slots? If not, what is your thinking on this?

Steve
Hey Steve ... good eye ... I put the sting slots in after the bridge is glued on.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:15 AM

Good morning, David,

Even though your recording isn't the greatest, the quality of your guitar shines through. I wish I owned a guitar that sounds like that.

Did you write that piece? For me, a large part of its' charm and brilliance is it sounds like you wrote it as you played it. I'd buy a CD of that kind of stuff: sophisticated, complex, soulful and effortless without it having that dreadful feel that it was intellectually labored over.

It seems that everything you do is masterful. I sure admire that. It's rare.

Jim
Old 05-16-2019, 05:05 PM
AGF Sponsor

Your FP finish looks spectacular David and I’m really jealous of your results. The guitar’s not to shabby either
Old 05-17-2019, 06:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Good morning, David,

Even though your recording isn't the greatest, the quality of your guitar shines through. I wish I owned a guitar that sounds like that.

Did you write that piece? For me, a large part of its' charm and brilliance is it sounds like you wrote it as you played it. I'd buy a CD of that kind of stuff: sophisticated, complex, soulful and effortless without it having that dreadful feel that it was intellectually labored over.

It seems that everything you do is masterful. I sure admire that. It's rare.

Jim
Hey Jim ... thanks so much! That tune I'm attempting to play is "Dolphin Dance" by Herbie Hancock. It probably sounds like I'm making it up as I go along (I wish!) because I've barely got the tune under my fingers. I'm definitely not going to quit my day job and become a musician ... HA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Your FP finish looks spectacular David and I’m really jealous of your results. The guitar’s not to shabby either
Hey Tim ... thanks ... means a lot coming from you!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:59 AM

Quote:
... "Dolphin Dance" by Herbie Hancock ... I'm definitely not going to quit my day job and become a musician ...
But would you go dance with dolphins when you retire? --->

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 AM

Sounds great! What a nice treat for its new owner to have a video of the build with sound sample. Pure class!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele_Eddie View Post
Sounds great! What a nice treat for its new owner to have a video of the build with sound sample. Pure class!
Yes, I agree, it is a really nice touch knowing David plays and makes the video. I am sure it is greatly and widely appreciated. I look forward to that on each of his builds!
Old 07-08-2019, 06:01 PM

OK, confession, this guitar was made for me. At the time of the build, I was quite busy with other things and just wanted to keep it anonymous and David was kind enough to do so, however, I now feel like I am doing Mr. Wren a disservice by not reviewing this phenomenal guitar.

The beauty of the woods are amazing. When David opened his build list and I got the chance to jump in, I did so as quickly as I could. He had this set up as an option and I decided in 3 seconds that I wanted to reserve this Ziricote, David found the great bearclaw Sitka top to pair and a match was made.

First off, David is very easy to work with, has wonderful design ideas and implements them to perfection. Everything he sent to me I loved and just let him go at it. I did pick out the Snakewood I believe, but David thought it would work so we went for it. He is such a true professional, everything was thought out and done to perfection and on perfect time.

The sound of this guitar is simply outstanding. It is loud when you ask it to be and subtle and filled with nuance when you want that. Put a pick to it and it becomes a Banjo killer. Seriously, this thing is everything it needs to be and more. For my ear, it is a perfect blend and balance of all things lovely.

The workmanship is amazing and the tone and voice is spectacular. It is for these reasons I just felt I had to come out and speak for this guitar. If anyone ever has a chance to have a Wren built or find one for sale (good luck with that and don't hold your breath for this one), jump on it.

Thank you David for your outstanding guitar, it is an honor to have it.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Enjoy it Tom. It looks and sounds like a special one.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:38 AM
Music soothes the soul!

While visiting Tom I was fortunate to audition this guitar. Awesome tone. Shockingly so. First chance for me to play one of David's guitars. Workmanship was flawless and nature did an amazing job on the Ziricote and Bear Claw Spruce. With guitars on the way I can't entertain another commission but there is no question, I would be thinking Wren. Beautiful job David and congrats Tom!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind review of the guitar Tom (and Dennis!) ... it was SUCH a pleasure working with you on this guitar!!!
Old 07-14-2019, 07:27 AM
AGF Sponsor

Again, congratulations David and Tom!
Tom, you are acquiring an impressive collection. Can hardly wait to visit Chez Bowersox again!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-16-2019, 05:33 AM

You never cease to amaze and inspire me Dave. And many others I am sure. Magnificent.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop