The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Default Formula 1 - 2019 Season. Anyone Going to Follow?

The season kicks off next weekend, again in Melbourne. Rule changes for this season include an increased fuel allowance and biometric driver gloves. Lots of color and logo changes, as well. USA’s team Haas has gone to an “angry” black (driver Kevin Magnussen’s description.) Haas is still powered by Ferrari, but with a much smaller budget than dominant Team Ferrari and without the same engine. “Doing more with less” has been Haas’ goal, with considerable success, considering they are so new to F1.

Team changes: Force India is now Racing Point (a change made mid-season, last year), and Sauber is now Alfa Romeo.

No Fernando Alonzo this season, who retired at the end of last season. Younger drivers seems to be the trend, with at least one driver being younger than 20. Daniel Riccardo will be driving for Team Renault, after severing his strained relationship with Red Bull, in large part due to the engine problems attributed to… Renault. Red Bull cars are now powered by Honda. Go figure.

Austin will again host the only US Gran Prix. I hope to make it there, this year, although October/November is always a busy time.

Any other enthusiasts? F1 and the grand tours of bicycling are my favorite sporting events, largely due to their international-ness.
Old 03-10-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

It should be an interesting season. I'll miss Alonso. He deserved a better ride.

It would be great to see Haas have a good season.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:04 PM

Open wheel formula and Le Mans and Sebring endurance racing is my bag as auto racing goes.

Gibson Dove
Old 03-10-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickgm60 View Post
Rule changes for this season include an increased fuel allowance and biometric driver gloves.
Lots more than those, too. Many aero changes - wing sizes, profiles, simpler designs (for now), body changes, etc. We'll see if they really do make a differences regarding how close they can drive to each other as well as passing abilities.

New set of things regarding the Pirelli tire compounds, too.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The season kicks off next weekend, again in Melbourne. Rule changes for this season include an increased fuel allowance and biometric driver gloves. Lots of color and logo changes, as well. USA’s team Haas has gone to an “angry” black (driver Kevin Magnussen’s description.) Haas is still powered by Ferrari, but with a much smaller budget than dominant Team Ferrari and without the same engine. “Doing more with less” has been Haas’ goal, with considerable success, considering they are so new to F1.

Team changes: Force India is now Racing Point (a change made mid-season, last year), and Sauber is now Alfa Romeo.

No Fernando Alonzo this season, who retired at the end of last season. Younger drivers seems to be the trend, with at least one driver being younger than 20. Daniel Riccardo will be driving for Team Renault, after severing his strained relationship with Red Bull, in large part due to the engine problems attributed to… Renault. Red Bull cars are now powered by Honda. Go figure.

Austin will again host the only US Gran Prix. I hope to make it there, this year, although October/November is always a busy time.

Any other enthusiasts? F1 and the grand tours of bicycling are my favorite sporting events, largely due to their international-ness.
Hi Patrick,

I'm certainly looking for ward to this season.

I don't particularly support any one team, but I kinda support some of the drivers.

Williams are, like, my home team, (I've got a bit of a thing for Claire) and they have Kubica after such a long recovery, and so is an unknown.

It would be safe bet to say that Ferrari or Mercs will win again but sooner or later another team will jolt one off the podium. I don't see Hamilton or Vettel losing their impetus yet.

I kinda hope that Mad Max in his Red Bull gets a break this year but with a Honda engine ??

Ricciardo and Hulkenberg are a solid team for Renault, but are the engines competitive? I suspect that Daniel is hungry and a little angry.

It'll be an exciting season with more "boys" mixing it with the "men" and a lot of new engineering.

Will I watch the first game live? at 5 a.m ? not promising.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Daniel Riccardo will be driving for Team Renault, after severing his strained relationship with Red Bull, in large part due to the engine problems attributed to… Renault.
I think you've read that wrong.
Despite Daniel finishing 3rd in the Championship in 2016 and 2017 Red Bull made it clear they favored Max Verstappen when they re-signed him on much higher pay than Daniel.
When it became clear in the 2nd half of the 2018 season that Daniel wasn't making moves to re-sign for 2019 he suddenly suffered a series of DNF's and Max started improving.
Coincidence?
Not when you look back at how Red Bull treated Mark Webber as Vettel's number 2 driver. ( who remembers his comments back to the pits when Webber won the British GP ... "Not bad for a number 2!")

The Melbourne GP just happens to be on my birthday ... if Daniel finishes higher than Max my Birthday Wish will come true.

p.s. I hope Max sees this,

'But after leaving Red Bull Racing for Renault, Ricciardo has reportedly almost tripled his salary with his two-year deal worth a mouth-watering $49m a season.

Even better for Ricciardo, he will reportedly be paid substantially more than former Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen, who will earn a reported $18.5m for the 2019 season.'

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-10-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:08 PM

It will be interesting to see how Leclerc can measure up to his hype alongside Vettel. If pre season testing is anything to go by, Seb should have a good shot at the title this year but if Leclerc is allowed to race him and bothers him it could be a worrying time for the German with his track record of cracking under pressure.

Hope Renault can provide some good machinery for Ricciado to smile about and that Max can be up there with the front runners.

The new point for fastest lap rule might encourage some to go for it towards the end of the race if it gets approved. Although we will probably see those in out of points positions coming in 2 laps from the end for some fresh soft tyres (tires) to pinch a point at the end. Would be quite bizarre to see a mad rush for the pits at the end of the race.

YouTube
Old 03-10-2019, 08:32 PM
Charter Member

Oh yea, I'm a fan. Everything is conjecture at this point. I'd like to see Haas do well. The short tracks in the beginning with benefit Ferrari, then when they let the cars out of the stable, the Mercedes will rinse and repeat. I must be the only guy didn't see much in Leclerc last year, we'll see. I'd love to have him spank that little cry-baby ***** Vettle.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-10-2019, 08:51 PM

Long time follower, since 96', and an Alonso fan. Going to miss him this year, but will stick with McLaren, and hopefully their return to former stature.

Not sure who to pull for, but Ricardo is up there.

Still have a feeling/hope that Alonso will return for 2020.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I think you've read that wrong.
Despite Daniel finishing 3rd in the Championship in 2016 and 2017 Red Bull made it clear they favored Max Verstappen when they re-signed him on much higher pay than Daniel.
When it became clear in the 2nd half of the 2018 season that Daniel wasn't making moves to re-sign for 2019 he suddenly suffered a series of DNF's and Max started improving.
Coincidence?
Not when you look back at how Red Bull treated Mark Webber as Vettel's number 2 driver. ( who remembers his comments back to the pits when Webber won the British GP ... "Not bad for a number 2!")

The Melbourne GP just happens to be on my birthday ... if Daniel finishes higher than Max my Birthday Wish will come true.

p.s. I hope Max sees this,

'But after leaving Red Bull Racing for Renault, Ricciardo has reportedly almost tripled his salary with his two-year deal worth a mouth-watering $49m a season.

Even better for Ricciardo, he will reportedly be paid substantially more than former Red Bull teammate Max Verstappen, who will earn a reported $18.5m for the 2019 season.'
Thanks for the additional info; I had no idea the compensation DR agreed to with Renault; holy smokes! That's Vettel/Hamilton kinda loot. Advantage Renault. I hope they have money left over for engine improvements.

Unlike virtually every other sport, these "team mates" drivers see each other as the rival, if not adversary. Last season we had Max and Daniel, Perez and Ocon ("Do I have to separate you two?")

Yes, Williams has the name, history, and best-looking owner, but it's gonna be a tough season, if Barcelona is any indication.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the additional info; I had no idea the compensation DR agreed to with Renault; holy smokes! That's Vettel/Hamilton kinda loot. Advantage Renault. I hope they have money left over for engine improvements.

Unlike virtually every other sport, these "team mates" drivers see each other as the rival, if not adversary. Last season we had Max and Daniel, Perez and Ocon ("Do I have to separate you two?")

Yes, Williams has the name, history, and best-looking owner, but it's gonna be a tough season, if Barcelona is any indication.
As an Aussie F1 fan from the Alan Jones days I've been following Daniel's career closely.

Check out this statement from Renault regarding Daniel's salary;

“There is a considerable financial commitment from Renault,” Abiteboul said. “But it is not a question of whether Renault can afford it: it can definitely afford it as our turnover is 40 times the turnover of Red Bull. There is no question mark about that.

“The question mark is about the value. Does it make sense to invest that type of money in a driver at the level of Daniel at this point of our journey, with the car that we have and the other expense that we must do? We believe so.

“There has been some discussion about that. Would we be better off investing in to the car or the drivers?

“I think we have reached a point where we can invest in both reasonably.”

So when you think about it ... Hamilton is the perfect #1 for Mercedes so they didn't need Daniel, Vettel doesn't want a more competitive driver with him at Ferrari so what were Daniel's choices for 2019?
- Stay at Red Bull and become number 2 driver to Max?
- Move to a team with a genuine commitment to rise back to the top, starting with a massive pay increase in recognition of Daniel's driving skill and achievements?

No-brainer really.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird

Last edited by Brucebubs; 03-10-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Interesting question arises here for me.
In F1 - which although was originally a British sport run on the WW2 airfields, is now just about the most international sport apart from football.

Many of the teams based in the UK including Mercedes, RedBull, force India/Racing Point, Williams, Renault, Haas, and McLaren,

They are all roughly around the area of the Silverstone Race circuit (I have a friend who lives in the village and the local economy is largely about motor racing).

Drivers come from all over the world, and unusually, there will be four Brits driving this year, plus two Germans, two Finns, one French, one Italian, one Dutch, one Swiss, one Monagasque, one Russian, one Polish, one Mexican, One Canadian and one Australian.

Do you guys support drivers, teams or motor brands or a country that you feel an affinity with ?
Old 03-11-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
As an Aussie F1 fan from the Alan Jones days I've been following Daniel's career closely.

Check out this statement from Renault regarding Daniel's salary;

“There is a considerable financial commitment from Renault,” Abiteboul said. “But it is not a question of whether Renault can afford it: it can definitely afford it as our turnover is 40 times the turnover of Red Bull. There is no question mark about that.

“The question mark is about the value. Does it make sense to invest that type of money in a driver at the level of Daniel at this point of our journey, with the car that we have and the other expense that we must do? We believe so.

“There has been some discussion about that. Would we be better off investing in to the car or the drivers?

“I think we have reached a point where we can invest in both reasonably.”

So when you think about it ... Hamilton is the perfect #1 for Mercedes so they didn't need Daniel, Vettel doesn't want a more competitive driver with him at Ferrari so what were Daniel's choices for 2019?
- Stay at Red Bull and become number 2 driver to Max?
- Move to a team with a genuine commitment to rise back to the top, starting with a massive pay increase in recognition of Daniel's driving skill and achievements?

No-brainer really.
Yea, but no. I don't agree Daniels choice was a no brainer. What was Daniel's choice, go to mid-pack team or stay with what has been one of the top teams, and a team who's unbeatable when they get it right? Well, yea, stay there! I don't believe he's a #2 driver to Max either, who, finally mid-season, showed some speed without crashing into everything. I think he would have done better staying with Red Bull, especially with an all new aero rules, which Newey is the master of. He's jumping ship too fast, just like Alonso kept doing till he was at the back of the pack then quit.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-11-2019, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

I have been a fan of F1 since my brother started in Enduro Go Kart racing in 1961
And although I was to young to compete ( at that time you had to be 14 if I remember correctly) I got to drive his Kart and was hooked
Unfortunately my parents (who did not have much money) said they would help with either Go Kart racing or Alpine Ski Racing (which I was already doing ) so I chose Ski Racing

PSA... I have just started watching the Netflix special Formula 1 Drive to survive ( which is basically about the 2018 season ) with all the intrigue etc.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 03-11-2019, 10:34 AM

Always was a Ferrari fan especially after seeing fellow Canadian Gilles Villeneuve win the Canadian Grand Prix in 1978 in Montreal. What a day! I have been to a few more GPs since but I admit to being quite ignorant about who's who these days having stopped following the sport a dozen years back or so after moving to the "country". As far as motor racing goes, though, F1 is it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic