The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-29-2019, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY
Default Apple's Facetime eavesdropping bug

Link on how to deactivate it:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/tech/...ntl/index.html

I sometimes think I should cover up the lens on my Mac. I can get really paranoid if I allow myself to do so.

If this type of post isn't allowed, my apologies. Just trying to help.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-29-2019, 03:00 PM

Apple disabled the group feature earlier in the day.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:43 AM

I try to never do illegal or disgusting things in front of my phone.

Or my dog.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-30-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

I have black electrical tape over the camera lens of my lap top. Why not? If someone was looking at me from my phone they'd just see my face or the ceiling. That's not to exciting.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2019, 06:28 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Hilarious. "Perfect" Apple.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-30-2019, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Hilarious. "Perfect" Apple.
They all have their issues.

I'll continue to buy Apple stuff, I just prefer it.

I also saw where Facebook was paying people to hack your info, like they don't get enough with your permission.

I say YOUR permission because I've NEVER had a Facebook account. Or Instagram.

I'm a Rebel !

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

UT Oh !!!! someone may have seen and heard me swear when I made the opposite upside down mirrored angle cut on some Aspen trim,,,, "TWICE" in row #@#%$^&^%$ dam I hate public scrutiny to my being dumb...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-30-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I try to never do illegal or disgusting things in front of my phone.

Or my dog.....

You forgot to mention in front of the wife or kids, but I'm guessing that's not an issue with you like it is with me. My 11yo is like a parrot; he repeats whatever he hears without understanding it.

BTW, I'll also add the cat: they NEVER blink. Creepy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I have black electrical tape over the camera lens of my lap top. Why not? If someone was looking at me from my phone they'd just see my face or the ceiling. That's not to exciting.
I have two pieces of electrical tape over each camera on my iPhone. I'm sure there's a way to disable the microphone too, but the most d@mning thing a would be identity thief is going to hear is a toilet flushing.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Charter Member

Since I saw an interview with Mark Zuckerberg and he had a post it note over the camera on his office computer I've not felt that this practice is paranoid at all If the head of Facebook doesn't have a secure camera what chance do the rest of us peons have! ?
Old 01-30-2019, 11:09 AM

Now I ain’t no high tech guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I reckon that if you elect to do Facebook, you pretty much give up any expectation of privacy you may have entertained. It is my contention that FB is a portal for any one person or entity who has the skills to hack you from here to eternity and back, and not just your FB account, but everything else you do on your electronic devices. But I could be wrong, just an educated guess on my part. 🤔
Old 01-30-2019, 12:57 PM

Clips to cover cameras are fairly standard stuff in the industry. I'd say 50% of the people I work with have them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
It is my contention that FB is a portal for any one person or entity who has the skills to hack you from here to eternity and back, and not just your FB account, but everything else you do on your electronic devices. But I could be wrong, just an educated guess on my part. ��
Yes, you're technically wrong by saying "everything" but you're correct in that every account which uses Facebook Connect is likely compromised as well. That hardly encompasses everything on your phone, but it's certainly significant.

Every app, site, or page is subject to hacking, Facebook likely less than most. .
Old 01-30-2019, 05:49 PM
G625 mistral-k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadcutter View Post
I reckon that if you elect to do Facebook, you pretty much give up any expectation of privacy you may have entertained.
It does not take a website profile such as FB to have a digital footprint. Many folks willingly share information such as their email address on pieces of paper and in the digital form of; blogs, posts, product/service reviews, retired military organizations, CL replies, or they post questions on forums with their personal email contact information.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basalt Beach View Post
It does not take a website profile such as FB to have a digital footprint. Many folks willingly share information such as their email address on pieces of paper and in the digital form of; blogs, posts, product/service reviews, retired military organizations, CL replies, or they post questions on forums with their personal email contact information.
More interesting to me here is the spat with Facebook & Google. Pulling the certificates for not complying with developer terms. It seems some who used those apps did understand what they were getting into, but I also get the reason for the strict rules.

In the past week I had both of an employee who broke rules, and a vendor trying to skirt them. It happened while I was finishing up my part for an external firm doing a security audit so there were more eyes than usual on the scenario. It was interesting to catch the auditor's, offenders and management attitudes over it all. It probably tells me how society will be over privacy and security issues. It was a combo of concern by some, whatever by some, and to the daft the interpretation was that of people either being difficult or jerks.

1099s deadline yesterday and catching a personal ID theft scenario earlier in the week also had me think about privacy.

For the 1099s, there are a bunch of SS numbers all over. For the ID theft, someone applied for a loan as me and luckily a woman at the finance firm found my real phone number when the false number did not work. That's not surprising to know the criminals found enough about me to apply for a loan. We've already had someone else file taxes in our name. What struck me was the finance person had access to enough personal data to fine my real phone number.

The access to how many times we've all had to give our social security or drivers license info worries me more than this FaceTime bug.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Link on how to deactivate it:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/29/tech/...ntl/index.html

I sometimes think I should cover up the lens on my Mac. I can get really paranoid if I allow myself to do so.

If this type of post isn't allowed, my apologies. Just trying to help.
i have covered the lens on my mac. takes 3 seconds and you can take it off if you need it. i also used to be more paranoid but now at my age, i've become mononoid

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Default 12.1.4 Update Now Available

Apple just released the 12.1.4 Update that supposedly fixes the FaceTime issue.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic