The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2017, 03:01 PM

Default Compare Baggs Anthem with M80

I know these are two completely different type of pickups. I have an Anthem and Anthem SL, but I'm curious what the M80 would be like in comparison. I've had sound hole pickups before (Fishman Blackstack), so I have an idea what magnetics are like in an acoustic... but the M80 seems to be different.

Thanks.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 01-01-2017, 04:10 PM

You still get the mag sound with the m80 but it almost sounds like a dual source with the response picking up the guitar top. I have one and love it especially for playing live

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-01-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I use the M80 in my D18 which I play at certain venues, plus it sounds great recording as I just finished playing on a local musician's new CD...I generally like to combine it with a Body Rez to scoop the mids a bit, and it also adds a tiny bit of compression when I perform at louder volumes. However, it sounds lovely on it own & here's a sample going straight into my Loudbox Mini & recorded jus with my Canon camera:

The M80 does act like a dual source which I like because I use a bit of percussion to my reggae style as seen here live plugged direct into my Loudbox Performer using my Goodall CJ:

The Anthem, tho can sound nice, but imo requires some serious eq magic and can't keep up with my style of play, volume, and the dynamic versatility I need. However, it has it's place in different applications then mine and sound quite nice, just not for me.

It's truly a combo of guitar-pickup-amp-style of play, that work together to achieve the sound you want...and there are always compromises.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noledog View Post
I use the M80 in my D18 which I play at certain venues, plus it sounds great recording as I just finished playing on a local musician's new CD...I generally like to combine it with a Body Rez to scoop the mids a bit, and it also adds a tiny bit of compression when I perform at louder volumes. However, it sounds lovely on it own & here's a sample going straight into my Loudbox Mini & recorded jus with my Canon camera:

The M80 does act like a dual source which I like because I use a bit of percussion to my reggae style as seen here live plugged direct into my Loudbox Performer using my Goodall CJ:

The Anthem, tho can sound nice, but imo requires some serious eq magic and can't keep up with my style of play, volume, and the dynamic versatility I need. However, it has it's place in different applications then mine and sound quite nice, just not for me.

It's truly a combo of guitar-pickup-amp-style of play, that work together to achieve the sound you want...and there are always compromises.
Hi NoleDog,

Do you happen to have any sound clips or videos of the M80 with bodyrez? I've been toying with idea of adding a bodyrez pedal.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification