The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-01-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Loudbox Mini vs. THR10 Amps?

Tried the Loudbox Mini yesterday at GC and was really impressed. GC has some of the THR10/10C amps in electric section that some on here like for acoustic. Didn't have the time to try any of the THR10s but will go back if people prefer those over the Loudbox Mini.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenaines View Post
Tried the Loudbox Mini yesterday at GC and was really impressed. GC has some of the THR10/10C amps in electric section that some on here like for acoustic. Didn't have the time to try any of the THR10s but will go back if people prefer those over the Loudbox Mini.
I have both. The LB mini is just a great acoustic amp. Also works for a good "jazz box" tone. It is plenty powerful enough for gigging. The THR10 is a lot of fun and does a lot of modeling stuff really well. But gigging -- uh uh. We HAVE used it for jamming with one or two other guitars in my living room. Last time was one player on an unamplified acoustic and another using my Mustang III. I used the THR-10. Kept up fine but we were not playing loud. Just loud enough to fill the living room.
So two different animals. Both are great amps for what they do. Certainly not cheap though.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:39 PM

For gigging, I'd go for the Loudbox mini. For at home play and / or recording and/or portability I'd go for the THR10. I own THR5 and love it! Super easy to dial in the tone you want and the USB interface and editor software are great when recording. I have even used the THR5 as a preamp and patched it to a PA. It's a lot easier than carrying a pedal board. (The 5 is just like the 10 but lacks a few features-aux vol. control, 3 band eq, and user presets-same wattage though)
Old 01-01-2017, 07:46 PM

Thanks, I'm looking for a home use solo practice/experimentation amp so actually need something that sounds good at low volume, not looking for power.

I expected the Loudbox Mini's accuracy to be good based on what I've read/reputation; was pleasantly surprised by how it sounded altering basic reverb and chorus knobs. Was thinking I'd start with that and eventually add something like the Zoom A-3 and maybe a looper.

Sounds like there's enough reason to check out the THR models. Space isn't a huge premium, but smaller is definitely better for my needs --pretty silly to have a large amp and full pedal board for my acoustic needs. Didn't see the THR5A at GC. Good local shop might have it, they carry the THR10s and didn't consider the THR10s for acoustic before reading some posts here.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM

I've got the THR5A, it's really good.

I don't think the THR10 models different mic types like the THR5A does, so I'd defo try one if you get a chance.

You can model condensers, dynamics and it's got a tube, clean and nylon (for playing any nylon strung guitars, uke's etc through).

I think the THR10 just has a general acoustic channel unless they can access the mic modelling through the THR editor.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:37 PM

The Loudbox Mini is fantastic and it's gig-ready if you ever want to go that direction. Great amp and great value!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification