The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-21-2018, 03:23 AM

Smile Like what you like (and play what you play)

Hi everyone,

While I love to drool over NGD posts of guitars here on the forum, I have to admit that (and some of you may snicker at me here lol) my main guitar is a Sigma OOOM 15S. It's a rather inexpensive instrument, all Hog (back and sides are laminated, top is solid), very plain looking with no bling at all. And.....in the two years I have had the guitar I have bonded so much with it that I actually prefer it to guitars that are 10 times the price.

Am I saying that my Sigma is better than a Lowden or a Taylor? No way, of course not. But.....and it's a significant but, to me it plays almost as well as a high-end guitar. I'm sure I got lucky with this particular model and it just suits my playing so well and responds so well, and it hardly cost me anything. lol

While I still love to drool over high-end acoustics, I don't think I would trade this particular Sigma for any other guitar. Anybody else have a similar love story to tell? :-)
Ibanez AS93-VLS

“I'd woken up early, and I took a long time getting ready to exist.” ― Fernando Pessoa
Old 09-21-2018, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameridane View Post
Hi everyone,

While I love to drool over NGD posts of guitars here on the forum, I have to admit that (and some of you may snicker at me here lol) my main guitar is a Sigma OOOM 15S. It's a rather inexpensive instrument, all Hog (back and sides are laminated, top is solid), very plain looking with no bling at all. And.....in the two years I have had the guitar I have bonded so much with it that I actually prefer it to guitars that are 10 times the price.

Am I saying that my Sigma is better than a Lowden or a Taylor? No way, of course not. But.....and it's a significant but, to me it plays almost as well as a high-end guitar. I'm sure I got lucky with this particular model and it just suits my playing so well and responds so well, and it hardly cost me anything. lol

While I still love to drool over high-end acoustics, I don't think I would trade this particular Sigma for any other guitar. Anybody else have a similar love story to tell? :-)
I'm not surprised by your story. I played a guitar from that Sigma series in my favourite guitar shop about 6-8 months ago and was shocked by how good it was. It was a dreadnought version, and found it to be a terrifically inviting and musical instrument: the sound was punchy, clear, and balanced, and once I started playing it I became very reluctant to stop. When I looked at the price I seriously wondered about buying one. I didn't, but I still think that if I wanted a guitar that I didn't need to care about too much, that I could carry off into the fields without worrying about damage, then this would be the one to have. I still haven't ruled that out. But if I found a suitable field, just watch me.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:56 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I have a Seagull S6 Slim GT that I bought used. It actually was a new guitar that a (careless) person managed to put a small crack in. (The soundboard.) The dealer's repairman did quite a good job repairng the crack. Alas, it could not be sold as new and was on the used rack for less than half price. I bought it for $225.00 (down from $539.00).

It is a really nice sounding git. It gets better as it is played in. It is a good looker, too. I think of it as my Poor Man's J 45. No, it is not in the same class as a J45, but I really enjoy it.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:09 AM

We sell both Seagull and Sigma at the store where I work once in a while. I am impressed by Seagull's value for money - they really are amazing guitars.

... And at home I still enjoy my Sigma SG-200 after a year and a half!

Nothing wrong with those guitars!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:12 AM

I've got the same Sigma. It's my 'living room' guitar. It gets played much more than others. It's great for blues noodling on the sofa.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

What no pic of your Sigma? OK, I'll put up a pic of mine, an OMR-21;

I got mine, about a year ago, at GC on Long Island marked used but virtually unplayed. It still had the plastic on the pick-guard

Now I'm looking for a Martin 000rsg. But I'm not sure because it's going to take a lot to top this $300 guitar!
Old 09-21-2018, 04:50 AM

I have a 2017 Sigma 000M-1ST. I bought it last April. Fantastic guitar with amazing tone for a $350 guitar. Very well balanced with more than enough volume. The neck feels great and the fretwork is perfect. It also comes from the factory with a bone nut and saddle. It sounds awesome either strummed, flatpicking or fingerstyle playing. I really wanted to eventually get new Sigma dread but the shop I bought my 000 no longer carries the brand. I will never let go of mine for as long as I live.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:35 AM
Charter Member

What many don't get about high end guitars is that they are only a little bit better than less expensive guitars. And that little bit might not be in a tonal direction of a persons preference. Hence if one buys a high end guitar just to upgrade it can be a mistake. I've said it before, laminate guitars don't get the respect they deserve.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-21-2018, 05:55 AM

I own three guitars. they are the best three guitars in the world. Each one is the best example of its kind in existence. To have acquired the best three guitars in the world means that I am extremely clever or that Providence loves me more than anybody else. I guess I'm lucky that way.
Old 09-21-2018, 05:58 AM

On a recent reso thread, I was extolling the virtues of my lowly Gretsch Boxcar. I only paid $200 for it but I'm pretty sure I'll keep that thing forever. It is my porch swing, patio, couch, anywhere finger picker. Every time any of my friends (guitar snobs or not) hear it, they all comment on how good it sounds for how I'm using it.

Here it is in its natural habitat: the front porch!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160723_193254.jpg (32.2 KB, 282 views)
Old 09-21-2018, 07:14 AM

Good for you. I have some nice guitars and even a mandolin but I play my Klos travel guitar a lot. Mainly because I don’t worry at all about damaging it.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:23 AM

I’m delighted you love your guitar, and that’s ALL that matters.

The thing about threads like this, and I’m certain you didn’t intend to point your comments in this direction, is that it can devolve into an “us against them” argument. “My inexpensive guitar is as good as your custom built model”, when that wasn’t your point, and sends the discussion in an unintended direction.

I hope this thread sticks to your basic assertion, of which I agree, that an inexpensive guitar can bring as much joy to its owner as the most expensive guitar ever made. In the end, that’s the beauty of the instrument.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 09-21-2018, 07:27 AM

I agree with the OP this...it doesn't matter what name is on the headstock of your guitar...Martin, Taylor, Yamaha, Olson, Shmolson, etc...

What matters is that it speaks to you and you can feel it begging to be pulled out of the case and played...and you can't resist.

It's easy to get caught up with all the NGD posts/photos here on the AGF, not the mention some of the dream machines for sale in the classifieds. I'm a victim of GAS myself.

Enjoy what you have whether it cost you $200 or $2,000 and don't compare...it's not a competition.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Sounds good, feels good . . . .what else do you need?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
What many don't get about high end guitars is that they are only a little bit better than less expensive guitars. And that little bit might not be in a tonal direction of a persons preference. Hence if one buys a high end guitar just to upgrade it can be a mistake. I've said it before, laminate guitars don't get the respect they deserve.
Not to me. I think they are a lot better. Every time I play sub $500 I'm grateful that I am able have higher end guitars.

But if that's what you like, more power to you!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion