The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-05-2013, 08:33 AM

My suggestion is to consider the Halcyon parlor.

I began looking for a parlor guitar several months ago. After considering or trying several parlors within the low $100s to $3,000 price range (both new and used), I made a Craigslist "find": a gently, pre-enjoyed Halcyon with Lutz Spruce top and Ovangkol back and sides. Since I was already enjoying a Halcyon 000, I knew that the Halcyon parlor was likely to be a special one. I bought it without being able to play it first, just as I had purchased the 000 from Bluedog Guitars.

In brief, the Halcyon parlor is very easy to play, well made, sounds great with ample projection, volume and sustain, and has a comfortable neck. It feels amazing to hold and play, especially while seated on the couch. Unlike guitars with thicker, gloss coats, the vibrations can be felt.

Ed Bond of Halcyon and Tinker Guitars made my parlor. He is an AGF sponsor as well. His base price is $999 CAD, which is a bargain considering its quality and tone. While his base price includes particular woods, some wood options are available for reasonable charges. He can address questions that you may have about bracing and wood combinations. For a modest additional charge, changes can be made such as an ebony fingerboard and bridge and/or bone nut and saddle. If you're interested in a Halcyon, you can even let him know what you'd like for a nut width and neck shape.

I've played many guitars over almost four decades and bought nearly 20 in that time. Admittedly, I'm pretty particular when it comes to tone, build quality and craftsmanship. In addition to the two Halcyons, I have a Webber OM, Thompson T-2, Larrivee P-03MT, and three other well made, great sounding ones for sale. While my Larrivee P-03MT is fun to play, it's neck shape is a bit deeper, it sounds thinner, and is smaller in comparison to my Halcyon parlor.

Yes, I do think it's well worth the time to ask Ed about building a parlor (or another size). And, I found that both Ed and Bluedog Guitars thoroughly and candidly answered my questions about Halcyons; enough so that I was confident to purchase a Halcyon from afar, twice!
Missing/Stolen: Martin Custom Jumbo, Sitka Spruce/Honduran Mahogany, Serial #992248
Old 10-05-2013, 09:05 AM

There is an up and coming builder who studied with Sexauer I have been told. His initials are PSR. He has a new Parlor at Mighty Fine Guitars in Lafayette, CA. I played it last weekend. Definitely a guitar to consider in build, playability, and sound.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Check out the Santa Cruz Firefly.
Old 10-05-2013, 08:54 PM

I'm new here, but given the price range of the guitars you have on order, I suggest taking a look at the Matsuda Mini.

-Rick
Old 10-06-2013, 09:35 AM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

All gorgeous, and I do like some of the alternative designs. Will have a lot of rumination to do!
Old 11-01-2013, 03:06 AM

How about strictly Terz size? I've been looking around at these as well, as I wouldn't mind the minor third step up. That way I could really put it in an overhead as a check-in.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:06 AM

Matt-

Kathy Wingert makes stunning instruments and makes a sweet parlor. Since you already have an F on order from her, talk to her about a discount in volume. She can use the shavings from the F to make the parlor. I haven't had a side-by-side comparison, but my guess the FB will be bigger sounding than Kathy's, and Kathy's more cello-like.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:48 PM

David Webber makes a very fine parlor guitar. The depth and volume is surprising given the body size.

2011 Webber Roundbody - Reaction Engelmann/Quilted Honduran Mahogany

2015 Webber OM - Bear Claw Sitka/Fiddleback Honduran Mahogany

2016 Webber OO - Engelmann/Figured Cocobolo

2019 Webber L-OO - Bear Claw Engelmann/Old Growth Figured Brazilian
Old 11-02-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Somewhere in between the size of a Martin 2 and Terz/5. Looking for a nice unique travel guitar, more small builder (hence posting in the custom shop.) mods please move if this isn't the correct place.
If you want something really portable I can make you a custom Voyage Air in it's original size and shape (VGB). This is a basic one before finish.

When folded it fits in a case under the 9" X 14" X 22" airline size limit...

Harv
Old 11-02-2013, 07:33 AM

Definitely check out a Goodall parlor while you are at it as well

I have owned 7 Goodalls of various sizes over the years and ended up keeping the parlors. They are rich and loud with good articulation and fat trebles, with that signature 3D Goodall tone.

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 AM

a progressive modern parlor

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...=278982&page=2
Old 11-13-2013, 07:11 AM

Default About this ?

[IMG][/IMG]

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...hlight=tellier

I've played Fred's guitars, and there are great guitars.

JF C

https://soundcloud.com/user-254253822

http://members.soundclick.com/Jean%2DFrancois+Champoux
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM

All excellent choices. I'll have to take them under advisement!
Old 11-13-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
The Froggy Bottom L should definitely be on your list!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwR92zqxTbA
yes, i owned an "L" not long ago and really loved it. it was the proverbial "one that got away". they are modeled after the old Martin 1-17.

http://froggybottomguitars.com/model...ic-guitar.html

"Accept your lot, whatever it may be, in ultimate humbleness. Accept in humbleness what you are, not as grounds for regret but as a living challenge."
Old 11-13-2013, 09:27 AM

My "Modern Romantic" is 12" at the lower bout... Adjustable (heel-less) neck design, modern/optimized ladder bracing, minimalist appointments. I don't have much to show for at the moment, but I've got one to finish up and 3 more to start come Dec. for which you'll be able to follow build threads.

Fraulini is probably my favourite parlour on the market. Pure vintage though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop