The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-23-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
What handcart do you have and what do you carry on it?
I use this one from Harper: http://www.amazon.com/Harper-Trucks-PGDYK1635PO-Nylon-Convertible/dp/B00272MFHA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1306176475&sr=8-5

I usually carry my two Behringer PA speakers, PA stands, folding stool, two mic stands, guitar, guitar stand, and my homebuilt box that houses my pedal board, cables, microphone, and personal monitor. It's really lightweight considering how sturdy it is. Plus, it's convertible so it fits in the car easily.

By the way, I also recently got this Music People bag to carry the PA stands, mic stands, and folding guitar stand. Before I got this, I had issues with the various stands sliding off the cart.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Eyed Junko View Post
I use this one from Harper: http://www.amazon.com/Harper-Trucks-PGDYK1635PO-Nylon-Convertible/dp/B00272MFHA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1306176475&sr=8-5

I usually carry my two Behringer PA speakers, PA stands, folding stool, two mic stands, guitar, guitar stand, and my homebuilt box that houses my pedal board, cables, microphone, and personal monitor. It's really lightweight considering how sturdy it is. Plus, it's convertible so it fits in the car easily.

By the way, I also recently got this Music People bag to carry the PA stands, mic stands, and folding guitar stand. Before I got this, I had issues with the various stands sliding off the cart.
That particular link for the cart opens to an "Oops".

I have NEVER seen a product with reviews that has 26 five star reviews and no others. Not even a single 4 star. That must be some bag!!!
Old 05-30-2011, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
This is the last time I'll mention it, but I'm 63, & I still schlepp two Daedalus three-way speakers & a four-space rack bag, plus accessories & stick/stand bags, plus three guitars to every gig, no matter the size. Sure my metal knees & bad old back bark. But I need the sound & control I'm looking for when I play, and one speaker can't cut it anymore. I don't compromise on live sound anymore. Don't have to. Just need to be prepared for every type of venue/gig I face.

alohachris
Now THAT'S funny!!!!!

I tried desparately to stay small, light, and compact. I also like to 2 speaker approach and even tried a lightweight pair of 8" speakers. I traded up to a pair of powered 12's that are only 35 lbs. and sounf great. The difference with the 12's was much more than I expected (considering the spec sheets of the 8's vs the 12's. I decided on a pair of EV SxA360's which also have a lot of power for anything I might do outdoors or with a small combo. AND they were lighter than their less powerful little brother for some reason. A small ZED board makes a great combo with these speakers.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
That particular link for the cart opens to an "Oops".

I have NEVER seen a product with reviews that has 26 five star reviews and no others. Not even a single 4 star. That must be some bag!!!
Let's try this again then: http://www.amazon.com/Harper-Trucks-...8&sr=8-1-spell

As for the bag, yeah, it's good. Sturdy, fits a bunch of stuff, cheap. That's worth five stars to me.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 PM

Speaking of miraculous products that'll forever change the way you expect your presentation to sound, the Yamaha 01v mixer is just that. It's so far better than any other mixer I've ever used ( Allen&Heath, Mackie-3 differny models, 2 Behringer's, 2 Soundcraft's and more!), that it's impossible for me to gig without it. It's far from small though and so is probably not going to make your prospect list.

The good news is that Yamaha made abridged versions of this mixer in their Aw series recording stations and you can get almost all the goodies you'll need in a smaller box by looking to the AW4416 or AW1600 models used.

If having something new, that works well with Windows 7 or modern Mac Os's is important, I'd give the new Zoom r24 recorder a try ( I haven't used this but if the mic pre's are any good, it'll work well and OS small/light).
Old 06-01-2011, 10:34 AM

Thanks for the responses, all. I've been doing a lot of reading and foolowing up on the suggestions here and have arrived at going, as so many others have, the QSC/Allen and Heath ZED route. Though I'm sacrificing a bit in regards to XLR channels with the A&H (as opposed to the Soundcraft EFX8, etc.), I prefer the layout of the A&H board and its various features- not to mention that the preamp has a bit more... "mojo" as it were. I also love the fact that, in a pinch, I don't HAVE to have a DI box and can plug direct in to the HI Z inputs.

The rig will (in theory) look like this:
Collings D1 > AKG c214 > A&H ZED 10FX > QSC K10

(The c214 will be a new addition as well. I figure, if I'm going to go for it- I might as well really go for it!) For noisier venues, the Collings has a K&K Mini which will be blended with the mic.

Further thoughts are always appreciated. I'm planning on splurging tomorrow so speak now or forever hold your peace!
Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM

Well I hope I didn't chase Chris off. My comment was a little tongue in cheek. Chris seems to be very experienced with mic's for acoustics and I don't know his external recommendation. I know he likes the AKG 416 or 516 for internal mic'ing blended with a K&K Mini (I believe).

I have a ZED 12FX. I was planning on a Duo or possible Trio but I play Solo a lot and with I had the 10FX at times. I trid the K8's for a while. The QSC's certainly have a very smooth, clean sound. "I" thought they were weak in the depth of throw through a deeper room with some crowd noise. The 10's should throw deeper but there is some discussions I have run across about the "conical" design of their horn but that is beyond my technical knowledge. Many here seem quite happy with the K10.
I opted for the EV SxA360's which are a powered 12" speaker. I'm quite happy with the sound and weight of these. I did a side by side with the K8's. (I know. Not fair) and the EV's were way bigger in sound both in volume and fullness and very articulate in the vocals.
Peavey has a new contender as well as JBL and I believe EV has something really new out. No better time for those of us looking for a quality sound in a lightweight compact and powerful speaker.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

60-100 watt amp (Mine is a Schertler David), preamp/eq (LR Baggs paraDI), mic, mic stand, speaker/monitor stand. I carry it all in two bags.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:39 PM

Quick update for interested parties:

I pulled the trigger and ordered an A&H ZED10FX, QSC K10 and, because I was already spending money, splurged on an AKG c214. Everything came in yesterday afternoon and I had a chance this morning to set it all up and give it a go within the friendly confines of my living room.

The setup is as follows: Collings D1 > AKG c214 > A&H ZED10FX > K10

Whoa.

I thought the Soloamp was good. (And it is, certainly, for what it is) but this is a different beast entirely. I tweaked for a few moments on the vocal mic and ran everything else pretty flat. No DEEP switch on the K10, no VOCAL BOOST, etc. Flat, flat, flat.

Simply put, there is just more of everything. Clarity, dispertion- oomph! While it's a bit more to lug around, I think it's going to prove worthwhile.

I'm SO pleased I went this route and cannot wait to give it a go in a live venue. Thanks for all the input, everyone.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Conquistador View Post
For the price of 2 K-12's, you could buy another SoloAmp, the Zed Mixer and be money ahead. SAs are easy to run parallel. : )
Steve
or 2 bose l1 compacts and a ZED. Depends on what sound you want. It seems to me like the L1 is more like a PA speaker, plus it has a modest subwoofer.
Old 06-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by disguiseglasses View Post
Quick update for interested parties:

I pulled the trigger and ordered an A&H ZED10FX, QSC K10 and, because I was already spending money, splurged on an AKG c214. Everything came in yesterday afternoon and I had a chance this morning to set it all up and give it a go within the friendly confines of my living room.

The setup is as follows: Collings D1 > AKG c214 > A&H ZED10FX > K10

Whoa.

I thought the Soloamp was good. (And it is, certainly, for what it is) but this is a different beast entirely. I tweaked for a few moments on the vocal mic and ran everything else pretty flat. No DEEP switch on the K10, no VOCAL BOOST, etc. Flat, flat, flat.

Simply put, there is just more of everything. Clarity, dispertion- oomph! While it's a bit more to lug around, I think it's going to prove worthwhile.

I'm SO pleased I went this route and cannot wait to give it a go in a live venue. Thanks for all the input, everyone.
You will love it playing out!
Old 01-05-2017, 10:05 AM

i think its best documentary movie about minimalism http://putlocker1.biz/minimalism-doc...ortant-things/
what do you think?
Old 01-05-2017, 02:34 PM

The Carvin AG300 is exactly right for this. Two instrument/mic channels plus a mic only channel, each with its own effects and volume. 35 lbs. and can be mounted on a speaker pole. Rated at 200 W. I use mine for indoor venues up to about 100 people and outdoor venues like weddings and farmers markets. Let less than the powered speakers suggested and fewer trips to haul from your car.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Aloha, Chris! Right On! Definitely, one of Bob's best!

Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 01-06-2017 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:59 PM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification