The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-21-2010, 10:55 PM

Default I am so lame... Ordered a Zoom H4N

At my guitar lesson today the teacher told me I needed to get somthing that I could record parts of our lessons with to practice from.

I got a Zoom H4N. Guess that is overkill, but gosh I am a gadget freak. Anyone got one, what do I need to know about it?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 PM

What do you need to know about it?

IT'S AWSOME!11!1!

Seriously, you're going to have a blast with it.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:15 PM

Better a gadget freak than being stuck in the dark ages. I'd say you did well.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

there's a handy user-created video showing a bit about it - sort of a guided tour here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R19LMCN...cm_cr_rdp_perm
Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
there's a handy user-created video showing a bit about it - sort of a guided tour here:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R19LMCN...cm_cr_rdp_perm
Thanks good teaser. Should be fun.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:16 AM

All you need to know is that it's a great bit of kit, you won't be disappointed. Recording quality is good, and it's very easy to use - it doesn't get in the way with needing to fiddle with menus too much, just set it going and play.

Of course, it has plenty of bells and whistles too, if you want to get into the menus etc.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 01-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Guest316

+1 on everything posted so far. Generally, although less expensive, if it says "Zoom" on it you can't go wrong - very high quality stuff!
Old 01-22-2010, 07:16 AM

If you run into problems, this may help.....

http://2090.org/zoom/bbs/viewforum.php?f=19
Old 01-22-2010, 08:42 AM

I've used mine for everything from recording to digitizing old tapes for transfer to cds. It's a good unit once you learn how to use it.

2007 Taylor GS M/S, 2002 Taylor 710 Ltd, 10 year old app. Seagull S12, 2007 SilverCreek T-160, 1960s Harmony Tenor, Harmony Parlor, 1969 Martin D-18, 1954 Gibson J-45, 2003 Taylor Big Baby,1961 Fender Jazzmaster, 1920s-something Martin Mandolin, Metcalf OM, Metcalf Walnut Dred, 1938 Paramount Tenor, Larrivee Parlor.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
At my guitar lesson today the teacher told me I needed to get somthing that I could record parts of our lessons with to practice from.

I got a Zoom H4N. Guess that is overkill, but gosh I am a gadget freak. Anyone got one, what do I need to know about it?
When I was taking lessons I got a Zoom H4. It was great for that. I just put in on the tripod and pressed record. It was totally unobtrusive at the lesson. The instructors materials were less than refined, so the audio was extremely helpful.

I will also record my own playing once in a while. That's quite helpful; it makes you quite aware of where you should put your practice time efforts.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-22-2010, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
When I was taking lessons I got a Zoom H4. It was great for that. I just put in on the tripod and pressed record. It was totally unobtrusive at the lesson. The instructors materials were less than refined, so the audio was extremely helpful.

I will also record my own playing once in a while. That's quite helpful; it makes you quite aware of where you should put your practice time efforts.
Thanks, that makes me feel much better about dropping the money on it. That is exactly what I plan on using it for during my lessons.

The only impulse part of it was going all out at getting the H4N instead of something less expensive, but I figured I could use some of the advanced features like the metronome overlay, etc. while I am learning and if I get the bug to record when my ability is better then I can do that.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooglins View Post
Thanks, that makes me feel much better about dropping the money on it. That is exactly what I plan on using it for during my lessons.

The only impulse part of it was going all out at getting the H4N instead of something less expensive, but I figured I could use some of the advanced features like the metronome overlay, etc. while I am learning and if I get the bug to record when my ability is better then I can do that.
You will probably find more uses. I've recorded my kid's violin recitals, and a few church music programs. The 4 track mode even came in handy when I had to do an arrangement to back up my wife's vocal; my wife and I used a simple melody only track to practice along with then we recorded and mixed it once we had it refined a bit.

It's also good for me to record at home just for practice; it gets me used to playing under the pressure of the red record light is on.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 01-22-2010, 12:16 PM

I have a Zoom H2 and use it all the time. You're not going to be disappointed with your purchase. That's money well spent!

Chet
Old 01-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Good unit. But FWIW for anyone considering one of these, I went the extra distance and got a Tascam GTR1. It handles your portable recording needs, but also can be used as a guitar jammer and trainer ...very nice! Load in an MP3 and play along, mix levels, or learn a song. Decent built-in amp modules and fx. Fun stuff yes, but truly a versatile tool, IMHO.

Edward
Old 01-22-2010, 01:16 PM

The Zoom H4n is a superb tool - very easy to use and capable of excellent results.

Just to give you some idea of the quality you can expect, I used mine to record an entire CD. Even the internal mics are just about good enough for this, as you'll hear from the soundclip below:

http://chevinsounds.com/Autumnleaves.mp3

You can expect better results still if you use better quality external mics attached to the XLR inputs - the preamps are transparent and very quiet.

Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification