The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 10:45 PM

Default Eastman E1OM question

Was wondering if that model is okay for flat picking? It is a short scale, so I'm guessing the strings are a little slinkier, and hitting the strings very hard with a pick is probably not the best idea, but do some of you use a pick and get some nice volume out of it? Thanks.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:48 AM
Charter Member

Short answer is yes, it works surprisingly well... longer answer burried in my comments in my NGD thread which it seems you've already read.... "I think with single note flatpicking it could nearly hold its own in a bluegrass jam (haven't tried yet), though might struggle a bit with rhythm."

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-18-2020, 01:29 PM

Is there something wrong with getting other opinions along with yours? It seems that not a whole lot of people on this forum have that particular model Eastman.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:56 PM

I have an E2OM cedar top. It is fine for finger picking but it depends what context you're going to be using it in. If you're competing with a bunch of others you might want to look into a dread.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 02-18-2020, 02:00 PM

I had one for a while, and it was quite nice on single notes, especially fingerpicked. My particular model could be a bit strident when strummed, but single notes worked well.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Charter Member

I have the dread version (E2D-CD) of Bob's ^^^ E2OM with Cedar top. It's great for flat picking and fingerpicking and at standard scale you won't have any "slinky" issues. And I haven't had any problems "over driving" the Cedar top either. And I can get pretty heavy handed at times. I'm amazed every time I pick it up....especially at it's $500 price point?

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 02-18-2020, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibpicker View Post
Is there something wrong with getting other opinions along with yours? It seems that not a whole lot of people on this forum have that particular model Eastman.
I think you've taken my comment the wrong way.

I had a lot of trouble finding information about it too... which is a major reason that I wrote so extensively on it.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 PM

Thanks for the posts. Sorry if I took your post wrong warfrat73. Loved your review on the E1OM. I'm hoping that I can do some strumming on it, but I have a Gibson dread if I want to do some heavy playing. I also have a Yamaha FS800 that's loud enough to fool around on the couch with, and I reach for it much more than the Gibson. Love the mid range and balanced sound from an OM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion