The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2020, 04:47 PM

I have had 2 over the past 10 years, and sold/traded both because they didn’t get played as much as my others. In my mind the Swiss Army knife of guitars is a good analogy. It seems great, but many better and more useful tools out there.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:54 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
I also dumped the OEM Grover tuners for the new model Gotoh SXN510-06M-GG Open Back tuners in gold. These are made buy Gotoh as direct Replacements for the Grover tuners. These are great tuners at a reasonable price And look sharp. The Ferrell bushings insert from the top and screw into the body of the tuner fore stability. Quite a few color options.

https://www.philadelphialuthiertools...-machines-set/

Blues.
These are exactly the tuners I installed. This was because I also have them on my D-35 Seth Avett and love the look, feel and accuracy of those tuners - far better than any others I've tried including some expensive Waverly's. They really "dress up" any guitar and I too bough them from the dealer you recommended.
Old 02-14-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
These are exactly the tuners I installed. This was because I also have them on my D-35 Seth Avett and love the look, feel and accuracy of those tuners - far better than any others I've tried including some expensive Waverly's. They really "dress up" any guitar and I too bough them from the dealer you recommended.
Yep! These tuners are a great upgrade from the Grovers that’s for sure. TheY look especially nice on most any Martin guitar.
I’m a fan of Gotoh tuners and I have them on most of my guitars.
Also, The closed gear Gotoh SG381 tuners are a direct swap for any Larrivee Guitar using the Larrivee Cheesy Ping tuners.

Blues
Old 02-14-2020, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

The M36 was always an odd duck in the Martin lineup. I've played a few of the older ones with the 1 11/16 nut and one new Reimagined model with the 1 3/4 nut that was hanging in the Martin Factory Pickin Parlor.

The Reimagined one was a nice sounding guitar, but I didn't so much care for the older ones. I thought they were a little constrained and lacked a vibrancy that I expect in a smaller bodied (non-dread) guitar. The new one in the Pickin Parlor also felt a little overbuilt to me. Those Grover Rotomatic tuners have to go too... reduce the headstock weight a bit and replace them with 18:1 sta-tite open gear butterbeans.

If you get a good one you will know it immediately. All the best!

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 02-14-2020, 12:08 PM

I bought mine used long ago and played it happily for many years. Now the 1 11/16th nut is a deal breaker for me, and I rarely play it anymore. I've become spoiled by my Collings with 1 13/16th nut, and I just flub too many unintentional mutes on that narrow neck. I've had a few friends that are flatpickers play it and rave about it(I'm almost all finger style), so its just a matter of preference. At this point its my least played guitar, and I often think about moving it out to make room for something I'd appreciate more. All this said, it is a unique guitar that spans the small body /dread gap better than most any other I've come across.
'95 Collings 0002H
'80s Martin M36
Old 02-14-2020, 03:27 PM

My M-36 lasted only a few months. Very balance guitar, not bass heavy, to me it is like a big OM but louder.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:26 PM

I've had mine for just over 2 years now...just before the Re-imagined version came out. I far prefer the 1-11/16" nut and neck profile on mine, over the 1-3/4" nut and neck profile on the Re-imagined.

To be honest, I've experienced a lot of tough love with this guitar, probably as a result of my expectation of it supposing to sound more like my D-28, or D-35...so, having the bottom end of these dreadnaughts and certainly not thin sounding as it was. It became a candidate for a potential trade for another Martin.

Since I'm a stubborn sort, I was convinced that I could achieve a sound closer to that of my dreads by trying various string brands and types. Always 12-54 as the M-36 ships with them...PB, nickel bronze, aluminum bronze, Martin, D'addario, Ernie Ball, etc. No real success with any of these.

The AH-HAH moment came when I strung it with Martin MA545 12.5's on it. Thicker sound, more volume. Great string for this guitar.

The Holy ***** moment hit me when, for a lark, I strung it with Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze 13's. I play fingerstyle only and do not find it any more or any less difficult to play with 13's. Increased bass and mids for sure, leaving the trebles pretty much the same. Using these strings knocked out the "balanced" tone that seems to always be a promoted attribute for the M-36.

I love the neck, I love the comfort the body size offers. And now I love the tone! It easily competes with my D-28 tonewise and I daresay sounds better than it as well, edging closer towards the D-18 sound spectrum. It has become the guitar I play most and is now definitely a keeper!
Old 02-14-2020, 09:26 PM

^^Wow!

Posts like that are what makes this forum great. Thanks for that!
Old 02-15-2020, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback on the M36. I am really enjoying reading the comments. Mine arrived today, 2 days early. It was delivered late in the day, so it’s acclimating in the box. We had a 10 degree morning so I’m not taking any chances. More to follow.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:40 AM

Must be a pretty good one? Received on Friday and six days later no update???

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 02-22-2020, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2558 View Post
Must be a pretty good one? Received on Friday and six days later no update???
I'm wondering whether it did the Chevy Chase cutting into the Xmas turkey thingy from National Lanpoons Christmas Vacation as the OP opened up the case before it got fully acclimatized.

Interested to hear too.

Bump.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Sorry for the lack of updates everyone. The guitar played and sounded great but I didn’t spend much time with it as it arrived with some damage. It landed back at the place I bought it from yesterday and am expecting a replacement in the next week. A bit anti climactic but all will be revealed.

What I was able to gather was that it was really well balanced across all strings. It really does sing and seems like it will serve well for picking and finger style.

More to follow...
Old 02-22-2020, 10:55 AM

What a downer!

Keep your fingers crossed for better luck on the next shipment and please DO post your impressions when you have spent some time with your new M-36

Blues
Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesBelly View Post
What a downer!

Keep your fingers crossed for better luck on the next shipment and please DO post your impressions when you have spent some time with your new M-36

Blues
Will do. With the way the return policy works, it will probably be another week or so before it arrives. I’ll definitely post updates

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion