The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-30-2020, 10:14 AM

Default Playing as an opening act...change your setlist?

So I (as a solo acoustic act) am doing an opening 90 minute set for a young funk rock band at a music venue. I normally do mostly classic rock covers. Question is...do I change things around and do all my more "funky" material? Or do I just pick out my own best material irregardless?

thanks

Last edited by JackB1; 01-30-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:16 AM

When you say "I" do you mean you with a band, or you as a solo act opening for a funk/rock group?

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 01-30-2020, 10:19 AM

You got asked to do the gig based on what you’re known for.

But within that realm, yeah I would tilt the set list to suit the prospective audience.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
So I am doing an opening 90 minute set for a young funk rock band at a music venue. I normally do mostly classic rock covers. Question is...do I change things around and do all my more "funky" material? Or do I just pick out my own best material irregardless?

thanks
They hired you, so do your set. Honestly, I think you might be the wrong guy in the wrong room. And I've never heard of a 90 minute opener, and I sure as heck never played one.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:36 AM

Yes it's just me....solo act

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
When you say "I" do you mean you with a band, or you as a solo act opening for a funk/rock group?
Old 01-30-2020, 10:37 AM

It's always about the audience. So I would make your decision accordingly.
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 01-30-2020, 10:38 AM

This particular venue usually has the opener play 7:30-9:00 and the main act 9:30-11:30.
I think it's great that they give the opening act a nice healthy amount of time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
They hired you, so do your set. Honestly, I think you might be the wrong guy in the wrong room. And I've never heard of a 90 minute opener, and I sure as heck never played one.
Old 01-30-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
Yes it's just me....solo act
Yikes, ok...

A 90 minute solo acoustic set opening for a funk rock band...How funk rock we talking here? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Living Colour? Or a modern funk act like Vulfpeck? Or more like a jam bandy, funky Phish kinda deal?

The prospective audience is pretty important.

Also, what are we looking at here...a standing audience, you on a stage concert venue? Or tables and seats, "people might have been coming here anyway and it just happens to have live music" kinda venue?

Then my next question would be "how did you get this gig?"

And finally "Classic Rock Covers" is pretty broad. We talking "Desperado" here or "Sweet Child O Mine?" (because as much as it hurts me to say it, GnR is classic rock now)

Old 01-30-2020, 11:02 AM

We are talking about a modern cool vibe funky band. Not like RHCP or Living Color. Hard to describe them since they don't really sound like anyone else.
I know they cover Bowie's "Fame" if that helps and also a few funky Dave Mathews songs...but they mostly play originals. Think Dave Mathews "Too Much" as a good example.

This is a music venue with a cover charge, so chances are they are probably there to see the main act, but I can't say for sure. I am on a stage and the audience is seated in tables and at the bar. It's a listening room type of place. People come there to hear music.

I guess I will have to assess the audience when i get there and if it appears to be mostly people there to see the main act, maybe throw in some of my "funkier" songs?

Quote:
Yikes, ok...

A 90 minute solo acoustic set opening for a funk rock band...How funk rock we talking here? Red Hot Chili Peppers? Living Colour? Or a modern funk act like Vulfpeck? Or more like a jam bandy, funky Phish kinda deal?

The prospective audience is pretty important.

Also, what are we looking at here...a standing audience, you on a stage concert venue? Or tables and seats, "people might have been coming here anyway and it just happens to have live music" kinda venue?

Then my next question would be "how did you get this gig?"

And finally "Classic Rock Covers" is pretty broad. We talking "Desperado" here or "Sweet Child O Mine?" (because as much as it hurts me to say it, GnR is classic rock now)
Old 01-30-2020, 11:14 AM

You could. If they do "Fame," they got bigger ears than just a bunch of young whippersnappers...and their audience might reflect that too, accepting of a wide range of music.

I assume you got the gig based on a demo? Or word of mouth from playing elsewhere? I wouldn't stray too far from your bread and butter, but you might "keep it on the young side" if that's what you expect your audience to be. I wouldn't necessarily play "funkier" tunes (honestly, the idea of a guy playing funk on an acoustic guitar sounds pretty contrived and awful to me) but you might sprinkle in a few more current covers that the audience could latch on to. If they cover the DMB, that says a lot, as there's really only 2 types of bands in the world, those that would cover the DMB and those who would choose death before playing any of that stuff Should be a tip into the crowd too.

Old 01-30-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
....those who would choose death before playing any of that stuff
That’s the funniest thing I’ve read today - thanks!
Old 01-30-2020, 01:06 PM

this is neither here nor there ... but ...

Thinking about this, I wonder if I'd take a 90 minute opening gig for a band whose style is very much different than my own. Hence my "wrong guy/wrong room" statement. I've been that guy, in that room, and it wasn't much fun, for me or the audience. Played what I play, competently as always, but the music wasn't what the audience expected. A very long 30 minutes, with nothing to do but soldier on.
Old 01-30-2020, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Do your up beat A list material. Save the slower ballads for the middle of the set. Use the strongest material to open and close your set. Good luck.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-30-2020, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

You shouldn't play any songs that are outside your comfort zone, however it would be good to adapt your current setlist to the event. I use several different setlists based on the type of venue I'm playing (I don't play my family dinner crowd setlist when I play a biker bar) however many of my setlists overlap. I will also make changes and jump between setlists if I see that my original plan isn't working for the crowd I'm in front of. Finding that songs that turn on the audience is the most rewarding part of the game (well I like getting paid, so maybe it's the second most rewarding part).
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-30-2020, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

You're there to warm up the crowd, so I say have your go-to set in your pocket and read the crowd. If you're losing them, have a few fun ones up your sleeve to draw them back in. You may be surprised at what songs get their attention! I've learned not to assume too much.

Go, have fun, read the room, and have plenty of material to draw from.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion