The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2020, 08:58 AM
Charter Member

Default Taylor V vs X Bracing Questions and Observations

So I thought I'd post this here. It's a question that I just sent directly to Taylor to get their thoughts and thought I'd get some opinions here.

I currently have 2 Taylor 324e models that I am A/B'ing They are both identical in that they are non cutaway models with mahogany tops and blackwood back and sides. One is a 2016 model (X braced) and the V braced is a 2018.

The tonal difference is vastly different and I am trying to determine if it could be the bracing or a dry guitar issue.

The 2016 X braced has a bassy, woody tone that is really warm. I've had this one for a few months and its been hydrated with the D'Addario Humidipaks.

The 2018, which came in about a week ago has quite a bit less bass response and the high strings sounded a bit tinny. It did seem like the action was fairly low and that has improved a bit with humidification over the last few days, which makes me wonder if the huge difference in fundamental tone could be related to hydration.

I know its a bit of a loaded question, but are there supposed to be vastly different tones between the 324 X and 324 V braced guitar? If not, my guess is that the V braced needs more hydration.

Thoughts?

Last edited by kriso77; 01-29-2020 at 09:58 AM.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Strings the same?
Age and playing also certainly opens up a guitar.
Old 01-29-2020, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
Strings the same?
Yep. Strings are the same.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
^^This but also somewhat the bracing.
Old 01-29-2020, 10:56 AM

Default My experience

When the v braced guitars first came out, a shop in town had 314ce and 614ce guitars with both x and v bracing represented. To me the difference was huge. The x braced guitars had a much fuller sound, across the board.
It seemed to.me that the v braced had some sound that was trying in vain to get out of the guitar, if that makes sence.
I was really disappointed in the new v braced guitars.
I currently have a 317e, and I love that guitar. I'm just curious what an x braced version of the 317 would sound like.
Sooo, I don't think that all of the difference an be linked to hydration.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:26 PM

I don't think your ears are deceiving you.

I have a non cutaway 2016 324 no electronics. I love it. I took it over to a buddy's house who loved it so much he ordered the exact same thing BUT his came with V bracing whereas mine was X braced.

To my ears...the sustain on his is better...but the bass on mine is a smidgen more pronounced. It seems a smidgen warmer too.

Hope this helps.
G7th Capos
Old 01-29-2020, 12:27 PM

Your findings are the same as mine. I have a 414ce v brace, and I have a 314e and 814ce x braced. The x braced guitars are fuller sounding, unplugged and amplified, and the v brace has less bass and not as full sounding. I've own all three long enough to break them in on multiple gigs.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the feedback. The 2 I have are quite a bit more than a smidgen. I have my personal preference but I won't say one is good or bad, just quite different to the point that they sound like totally different guitars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrpilot View Post
I don't think your ears are deceiving you.

I have a non cutaway 2016 324 no electronics. I love it. I took it over to a buddy's house who loved it so much he ordered the exact same thing BUT his came with V bracing whereas mine was X braced.

To my ears...the sustain on his is better...but the bass on mine is a smidgen more pronounced. It seems a smidgen warmer too.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:48 PM

Probably not helpful, but I have a 712 12 fret V braced and a 322 12 fret X braced. The 712 is definitely louder and more "precise" in the single notes, 322 is thicker and not as precise. I know, different wood combos, but that's my take (same strings on each, Daddario Nickel Bronze)
Old 01-29-2020, 01:00 PM

V bracing stiffens the top period. This means less bass. The tradeoff is sustain, fatter trebles and better intonation of the harmonic frequencies. If all a person wants is low end and bass, then they should look at an X braced guitar. I will say that while I do enjoy low end, I vastly prefer the playing experience of my V Braced Grand Pacifics. They have nice fat trebles which are just as audible as the bass notes. Part of my issue with the new Martin Reimagined HD-28 is that the trebles are thin and get lost in everything.

To my ears, there is a woodiness that comes through in the midrange of the Grand Pacifics that I don't hear in guitars with a lot of low end. A lot of times, forward shifted X bracing is all low end and treble and you get a scooped tone that is just overpowering and warbly. I've experienced this and I don't care for it.

Having said all of that, I've been playing strictly V Braced Grand Pacifics since June of last year. I plan to go play a Martin soon and see what I think about them after living with V bracing for so long. My initial expectation is that I am going to be impressed by the low end, but I have a feeling that I am going to perceive a Martin dreadnought as muddy and muffled.

I'm excited to play my first Martin in 7 months.
Old 01-29-2020, 01:57 PM

While hydration can affect the guitar's tone and volume, it is definitely the bracing that's making at least 90% of the tonal difference. The V-Bracing is notorious for sucking the bass and warmth out of many models. And while it all comes down to the individual guitar and the individual player, I personally would tend to shy away from the "traditional" Taylor models with V bracing. Taylor Grand Pacifics are another story- but have been designed around V-bracing whereas the other models (designs) have been "retrofitted". There are a few of the older models that do benefit from the V-class bracing, but it has been my experience (and taste) that brings me to my personal opinion is that on most models V bracing was a mistake. Perhaps we'll see Taylor "reimagined" models or some other retreat with a marketing twist in the future. They have to keep changing things up, if only to crow "new and improved" and sell new units.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-29-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
While hydration can affect the guitar's tone and volume, it is definitely the bracing that's making at least 90% of the tonal difference. The V-Bracing is notorious for sucking the bass and warmth out of many models. And while it all comes down to the individual guitar and the individual player, I personally would tend to shy away from the "traditional" Taylor models with V bracing. Taylor Grand Pacifics are another story- but have been designed around V-bracing whereas the other models (designs) have been "retrofitted". There are a few of the older models that do benefit from the V-class bracing, but it has been my experience (and taste) that brings me to my personal opinion is that on most models V bracing was a mistake. Perhaps we'll see Taylor "reimagined" models or some other retreat with a marketing twist in the future. They have to keep changing things up, if only to crow "new and improved" and sell new units.
I have yet to play a traditional Taylor model with V Bracing, but I can't speak highly enough of the Grand Pacifics. I've been one of the biggest fans of them since mid 2019.

I go back and forth on the bass/low end spectrum. On one hand, there is nothing more satisfying that judging a dreadnought by its low end. But, on the other hand, I find it equally satisfying to play an instrument so balanced and woody sounding. I'm enjoying fat trebles and sustain just as much as I love low end with a Martin.

What's the right answer? Well, it is definitely to own both. The more I play the GPs, but more I fall in love with their woody character. They have just the right amount of every frequency.
Old 01-30-2020, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I'll be able to chime in here soon. I have a 317 Grand Pacific V class. I came across an older 310 in great shape that I'll have soon. I do like my Grand Pacific and agree with Shades of Blue's comments, so it will be interesting. From what I've researched, the V vs X brace does sound quite different.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
I'll be able to chime in here soon. I have a 317 Grand Pacific V class. I came across an older 310 in great shape that I'll have soon. I do like my Grand Pacific and agree with Shades of Blue's comments, so it will be interesting. From what I've researched, the V vs X brace does sound quite different.
They do sound different, but I think the question isn't so much about sound as it is the feeling you get when you play it. I will be the first to tell you that I think that Martins are the best guitars out there tonally, but I just really enjoy playing the Grand Pacifics and there is something really satisfying about them.
Old 01-30-2020, 07:33 AM

I played a bunch of V-braced Taylors recently. If you want bass, you should look at a bigger body size than the GA (x14) series with the V-brace models. Generally, I found all of them had a smooth even tonal characteristic (neither too bassy or too trebley), with plenty of sustain and even intonation up the neck.
The one model I didn't like was the ebony body (Builders Edition?) - it had very little 'body' to its sound, I suppose because ebony is such a hard wood compared to the usual tonewoods used for the body.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion