The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-28-2020, 09:25 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Myrtle spec for a few guitar shows

I’m sorry to say this won’t be ready for BIG but its a nice set of Myrtle big enough for an OM. The plan is to match this up with a cedar top. The binding plan is yet to be determined. I’ll put a few candidates up for your opinion.

So i think it needs something brown to set off the brown tones in the back. But the question is how dark brown it should be.
Here it is with a scrap of Claro

And here with zircote.

Opinions?

At the moment i am leaning toward more contrast like the zircote provides
Old 01-28-2020, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Ziricote gets my vote!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-28-2020, 09:56 AM

Yes, Z gets my vote as well. If it is far enough along, bring it to BlG anyway, who knows?
Old 01-28-2020, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

I like the Claro, and think the Ziricote might be a little intense (too much contrast). Maybe something toward the red, not brown?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 01-28-2020, 10:52 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’m apologizing for this post up front, so skip if needed. You’re asking for an A/B answer and I’m giving thought process. Sorry.

Generally I see browns as tipping on a line between reds and greens. This has to do with how one of our eyes sees “warmer“ and the other “cooler” - like the old red/blue 3D glasses. Rosewoods and mahogany tend to be warmer (redder) and a lot of domestics tend to be cooler (greener).

My overall experience is that the public likes warmer browns in their guitar woods. There’s a balance of course. Get too red like padauk and it takes a special customer to “see” its value even if the all important tone is just as robust.

Oregon myrtle is on the line. It can be red-brown or green-brown. I see more green usually. Ziricote while very dark can be on the line too. Claro is almost always red, though black walnut is often green. It’s ok to pair up reds together or greens together, but it’s rarely good to my eye to pair a red with a green.

In your picture, the color balance is such that your myrtle and ziricote are both reds. If that’s the case to your eyes, I would match them, and I think you will have something more desirable to the public. If you have a couple people look at them with their eyes and say one is really on the green side and one is red, then I would look for a better match.

Sorry again for the long post. I drive Steve crazy with my anti-red/green bias. Thankfully I survived another Christmas.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 01-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Default I agree !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
I like the Claro, and think the Ziricote might be a little intense (too much contrast). Maybe something toward the red, not brown?
The claro is a warmer brown, my preference in this case. ..despite the fact that I love Ziri !
Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Smile Claro Walnut...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonzo View Post
The claro is a warmer brown, my preference in this case. ..despite the fact that I love Ziri !
I am with Lonzo. The Myrtle is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Go John, Go

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-28-2020, 11:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

As Ryan stated, we have these color discussions often.
And I have fired Ryan over this more times than I can count. (The unemployment insurance is killing me.)
However, he is right on this one.
Myrtle can't help but show some greens, so the Ziricote is a fine choice. We have also had great luck with its cousin, Bocote. See if you can find some that is well-quartered and finely striped, and you'll have something truly elegant to look at.

KBW

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 01-28-2020, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I'm with the walnut as well. The ziricote is adding a third tone which isn't in the myrtle to begin with. Too dark. The walnut blends perfectly with the darker streaks in the myrtle, a natural partner for the myrtle. Myrtle also makes a perfect binding on a walnut body.
Steve
Old 01-28-2020, 12:49 PM

John, I don't care for either of the choices offered. I'm with Ryan on the red/green thing, but I find both the claro and the ziricote too red, and too dark to boot. Do you have any nice black walnut?

Disappointed this won't make it to BIG: I love myrtle. What ARE you bringing to BIG, by the way?
Old 01-28-2020, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

My first response in terms of color is Ziricote - good contrast. However, if the Myrtle is from Oregon, maybe you should pair it with some nice Oregon Walnut. I believe that Fiddleback Woodshack has some nice Walnut from Oregon.

J
Old 01-28-2020, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Default Bocote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
.....We have also had great luck with its cousin, Bocote. See if you can find some that is well-quartered and finely striped, and you'll have something truly elegant to look at.

KBW
I have an Oregon Myrtle guitar that has bocote binding and fretboard.

It is a stunning combination!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 01-28-2020, 03:46 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacluth View Post
I’m apologizing for this post up front, so skip if needed. You’re asking for an A/B answer and I’m giving thought process. Sorry.

Generally I see browns as tipping on a line between reds and greens. This has to do with how one of our eyes sees “warmer“ and the other “cooler” - like the old red/blue 3D glasses. Rosewoods and mahogany tend to be warmer (redder) and a lot of domestics tend to be cooler (greener).

My overall experience is that the public likes warmer browns in their guitar woods. There’s a balance of course. Get too red like padauk and it takes a special customer to “see” its value even if the all important tone is just as robust.

Oregon myrtle is on the line. It can be red-brown or green-brown. I see more green usually. Ziricote while very dark can be on the line too. Claro is almost always red, though black walnut is often green. It’s ok to pair up reds together or greens together, but it’s rarely good to my eye to pair a red with a green.

In your picture, the color balance is such that your myrtle and ziricote are both reds. If that’s the case to your eyes, I would match them, and I think you will have something more desirable to the public. If you have a couple people look at them with their eyes and say one is really on the green side and one is red, then I would look for a better match.

Sorry again for the long post. I drive Steve crazy with my anti-red/green bias. Thankfully I survived another Christmas.
That’s an interesting take Ryan. I have to give that some thought but my initial reaction is that you might be right on this. However red and green are opposite each other on the color wheel, complimentary colors, and complimentary colors are supposed to look especially good together. So maybe a little red to go along with the greenish (i need to look closer because i am not seeing the green) would make the color scheme pop.
Just a contrarian view.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
As Ryan stated, we have these color discussions often.
And I have fired Ryan over this more times than I can count. (The unemployment insurance is killing me.)
However, he is right on this one.
Myrtle can't help but show some greens, so the Ziricote is a fine choice. We have also had great luck with its cousin, Bocote. See if you can find some that is well-quartered and finely striped, and you'll have something truly elegant to look at.

KBW
Evidently Ryan keeps coming back.
When i find my bicote i will take some pics of that for your approval
Old 01-28-2020, 03:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
I have an Oregon Myrtle guitar that has bocote binding and fretboard.

It is a stunning combination!
Thanks Nemoman. Stunning is exactly the look I’m shooting for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop