The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 02:49 PM

Default Help me decide: Martin DSS-17 or Taylor 327e

Like the title says, I’d like to add a new guitar to the stable and am looking hard at the Taylor 327e and Martin DSS-17. I play mostly rhythm guitar, cowboy chords. Occasional finger picking and flat picking runs. I play out sometimes and would need to add a pickup to the Martin, so I’m figuring between adding the pickup and a hard case to the Martin these two guitars would come in close to the same price with the discounts available.

So, what would you do in my shoes?

BTW, closest I can find either guitar is an 8 hour round trip drive. Not impossible, but not convenient either.

Thanks all!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:04 PM

I would include the Larrivee SD-40 in that search. They are wonderful guitars and can be had for $1200 (maybe even less).

And they have awesome cases.

https://www.larrivee.com/products/sd-40-legacy-series
Old 01-21-2020, 03:12 PM

I'd pick the Taylor, no question about it. That being said, you need to pick what pleases you though.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 01-21-2020, 03:38 PM
Charter Member

I have the DSS-17 and had a K&K mini installed. Sounds great plugged in and unplugged. Feather light and very responsive. I've only played the 517/717 models so I can't speak to the 327. I don't dislike Taylor but I'm not their biggest fan either. Nothing wrong with them...just not my cuppa tea tonally. I will say that the 517/717 came closer than any other Taylor I've played but still not enough to take one home.
Definitely different guitars. I assume the mahogany top Taylor would be a more mellow sounding guitar while the DSS-17 is anything but. About the only thing they have in common is a satin finish? Good luck whatever you decide...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-21-2020, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

The Martin is Spruce top and Mahogany b/s-
Taylor is Mahogany top and blackwood b/s

I’m firmly on the Martin side of this fence.
The Taylor is great, but that Martin wood combo is iconic.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:00 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve owned both. The DSS-17 is a great guitar...if you like a LOUD, jangly, brash, junkyard dog, honky-tonk tone. Definitely not your typical Martin. And not everyone’s cup of tea. Really suggest you play it before you buy. It’s that unique of an instrument. That tone ultimately didn’t work for me - I’m a sometimes heavy strummer who throws in some picking - so I sold it.

Have had my 327e for about a month now. Almost the polar opposite of the DSS-17. The Grand Pacific body paired with a mahogany top and Tasmanian Blackwood b/s produces a uniquely sweet tone - warm, round, soulful with plenty of punch and volume. Though certainly not like the take-no-prisoners volume of the DSS-17, which has a jumbo lower bout.

Taylors are typically too bright for me...but not this sweet hog GP. I’m thinking I’ve finally found a Taylor I can hold on to. BTW, GPs look so much better without pickguards. I ditched my guard pronto.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 01-21-2020 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-21-2020, 04:06 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_the_stiff View Post
The Martin is Spruce top and Mahogany b/s-
Taylor is Mahogany top and blackwood b/s

I’m firmly on the Martin side of this fence.
The Taylor is great, but that Martin wood combo is iconic.
Actually it’s Sipo. At least mine was. In Martinspeak there’s a difference between “mahogany” and “genuine mahogany.” So we’re not talking iconic D-18 tone. Not even close.

Old 01-21-2020, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Well ☝️that’s interesting.
My Taylor 514 is a cedar top, (similar to a 517) and my 562 is a Mahogany top- I don’t think either compare squarely with a spruce top-
The Taylors have piano like clarity in mid and high registers- I think Martin stands as a stronger representation of the lower end bass and volume.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:11 PM

I'm in the same camp as llew. I would definitely go with the Martin. I actually have a couple Taylor's and a couple Martin's and you just have to go with what checks all your boxes. It really is a personal decision when it comes right down to it. Play them both and take notes - or at least solid mental notes - and go with what appeals to your senses in the end. Good luck on your journey and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Actually it’s Sipo. At least mine was. In Martinspeak there’s a difference between “mahogany” and “genuine mahogany.” So we’re not talking iconic D-18 tone. Not even close.
Thanks for clarifying. That changes a lot. I should bow out here now since I don’t know what I’m talking about.

Between a D18 and 327, D-18 hands down!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:57 PM

Thank you everyone for your thoughts so far!

I hadn’t heard of the 12 fret Larrivee before so I appreciate that suggestion as well. I think the best guitar I ever played was a Martin D-1 Authentic 12 fret, so I’ll take a look at that one.

Very interesting that you have owned both Rev Roy. The Taylor looks fantastic! Which of the two would you say had a stronger low end?

Thanks again guys!
Old 01-21-2020, 08:10 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomule View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts so far!

I hadn’t heard of the 12 fret Larrivee before so I appreciate that suggestion as well. I think the best guitar I ever played was a Martin D-1 Authentic 12 fret, so I’ll take a look at that one.

Very interesting that you have owned both Rev Roy. The Taylor looks fantastic! Which of the two would you say had a stronger low end?

Thanks again guys!
The Martin. That’s the one thing it has in common with other Martins...strong bass.

Old 01-22-2020, 05:50 AM
Charter Member

I love the dss-17, but I don't have one. I have a j-17 that was made by the Custom Shop based on a dss-17 and I really love that guitar. Comparing the bass, when I hit an F, G, or A note on the E string on a d-18, they sound like I'm hitting those notes on a piano. That sounds really nice but I'm surprised, these days that I find that a little disappointing. When I hit those notes on the j-17, it's like I'm hitting a bass drum. I kid you not!

When I go to a store that has a dss-17, it's the first guitar I play and then I compare. I love that guitar but you can't judge it based on anyone else's opinion. You have to try it and compare for yourself.

I haven't tried that Taylor but I did try the 300 series Taylor, spruce topped guitar the same day that I found the dss-17. It didn't do anything for me and then the 17 blew the roof off of the place. For me, I think it would take a lot of testing and walking away to learn to appreciate the Taylor 327.

It's like comparing Elvis to Linda Ronstadt. Both are great nobody can tell you which one you like better.
Old 01-22-2020, 07:00 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I love the dss-17, but I don't have one. I have a j-17 that was made by the Custom Shop based on a dss-17 and I really love that guitar. Comparing the bass, when I hit an F, G, or A note on the E string on a d-18, they sound like I'm hitting those notes on a piano. That sounds really nice but I'm surprised, these days that I find that a little disappointing. When I hit those notes on the j-17, it's like I'm hitting a bass drum. I kid you not!

When I go to a store that has a dss-17, it's the first guitar I play and then I compare. I love that guitar but you can't judge it based on anyone else's opinion. You have to try it and compare for yourself.

I haven't tried that Taylor but I did try the 300 series Taylor, spruce topped guitar the same day that I found the dss-17. It didn't do anything for me and then the 17 blew the roof off of the place. For me, I think it would take a lot of testing and walking away to learn to appreciate the Taylor 327.

It's like comparing Elvis to Linda Ronstadt. Both are great nobody can tell you which one you like better.
Are you talking about the 317 Grand Pacific? Is so, I agree. I had one for a few months and just didn’t bond with it. The GP body mellowed it out some...but ultimately it was like all spruce topped Taylors - too bright for me. The 327 is a completely different animal with mahogany over Blackwood.

I think of the DSS-17 and 327e as specialty guitars. Great at what they do...but not very versatile. Wouldn’t want either as my main guitar. My D-41 fills that roll very nicely. So to me it’s not like comparing two well-known and wildly popular singers like Elvis and Ronstadt. More like picking between Screaming Jay Hawkins and Tom Waits. Both superb at what they do but not broadly well known...and not everybody’s cup of musical tea.

Last edited by Rev Roy; 01-22-2020 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-22-2020, 07:41 AM

Off the top of my head I'd probably pick the Martin, but I'm not sure that's worth anything to you.

I really suggest you hook up with another guitar playing buddy or two and make the drive. It will absolutely kill a day, but think about the number of hours you're going to spend playing your new guitar. Minimally I would guess many hundreds just the first year.

And you may even find a different choice serves you better while you're there.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion