The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-06-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
That Mahogany is as pretty as the Moon Spruce top!

I love the light color. Is it going to stay light or get stained darker?

Mighty sweet

Paul
The back, sides and neck will all be stained darker. I think it will be nice because there will be the super blonde top, medium tone back and sides and nice dark binding all around.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The FS model has the same aesthetic that the traugptt model R has which makes it the most elegant steel string guitar design extant in my book. If it sounds anywhere near to how good a model R can sound, you have certainly got a winner.
Jeff's guitars are a huge inspiration to me. I love the headstock shape, body shapes, clean lines, etc.
I'd been really jonesing for a Santa Cruz for a while, so this model made a ton of sense for my wants and needs.
Old 05-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

Smile Can‘t wait to hear you demoing it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Chulka View Post
Jeff's guitars are a huge inspiration to me. I love the headstock shape, body shapes, clean lines, etc.
I'd been really jonesing for a Santa Cruz for a while, so this model made a ton of sense for my wants and needs.
Hi Matt, the looks are cool and nicely unique. Didn‘t see many, if at all any blue purflings and rosettes yet. Will be even better under finish ! But the sound of it with all that fantabulous hog and the moonspruce... as said.... hop you get it soon, so we can see and hear you talking to her and her to you...

Following along
Klaus
Old 05-07-2019, 08:02 AM

One of the most beautiful guitar shapes out there for sure. Congrats on your build!!!

I like the idea of combining good old Honduran Mahagony (an excellent tonewood) with a European spruce top, and I have heard great things about their stash of «Moon» spruce in particular.

What do you think are the advantages of a Brazilian fingerboard and bridge (a bit unusual, at least on this model)?
Old 05-07-2019, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
One of the most beautiful guitar shapes out there for sure. Congrats on your build!!!

I like the idea of combining good old Honduran Mahagony (an excellent tonewood) with a European spruce top, and I have heard great things about their stash of «Moon» spruce in particular.

What do you think are the advantages of a Brazilian fingerboard and bridge (a bit unusual, at least on this model)?
Thanks Ernesto!
I once had an OM with Italian spruce and Honduran mahogany. Like a fool, I sold it and have missed it ever since. This is my idea of a 'replacement' for that guitar... just a little different.
That guitar also had a ziricote fingerboard and bridge, which I loved the look of in the context of the rest of the guitar. I knew I wanted Brazilian bridge and board for this one to achieve a similar aesthetic to my old OM. I mean, who doesn't love some beautiful Brazilian splashed in here and there to keep everything coordinated?!
Thus far, the Moon spruce has been my favorite soundboard material I've ever played... perhaps only tested by a Tunnel 13 redwood top I recently played from Santa Cruz.. But the Moon spruce is loud, responsive and very complex sounding - All things I'm definitely looking for.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM

Thank you for the explanations, Matt!

I am looking forward to hearing a description of how this beautiful box sounds

Cheers
Old 05-12-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ernesto!
I once had an OM with Italian spruce and Honduran mahogany. Like a fool, I sold it and have missed it ever since. This is my idea of a 'replacement' for that guitar... just a little different.
Does this mean you sold your bearded hog Bourgeois?

It was very beautiful.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-13-2019 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Edited
Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 AM

The FS is on the setup bench!
I couldn't be happier with how the guitar turned out visually... I'm very eager to get to know her tonally as well.
Looks like the bridge was carved from a milk chocolate Wonka bar!

Old 06-06-2019, 08:33 AM

A couple shots of the beautiful lightly figured Honduran mahogany and detail of the heel cap and binding/purfling.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:36 AM

And finally, the beautiful figured Brazilian rosewood headstock veneer, Brazilian binding and custom blue/maple purfling. Those are antique chrome Gotoh 510s, on which I'll be installing rosewood buttons.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Turned out beautifully, Matthew--congrats!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 06-06-2019, 08:59 AM
Charter Member

That’s crazy beautiful Matt. And I can only imagine how great it will play and sound. Sweet dreams!
Old 06-06-2019, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

A classic look - truly beautiful, love the FS style headstock, gorgeous mahogany - very lucky guy! Can’t wait til you’ve had a chance to play it in a bit -
Old 06-06-2019, 10:54 AM

Congratulations Matt!

Never seen a neck meeting the body so seamlessly! Gives an illusion of the neck and sides being one! Dead gorgeous!

Quote:
A couple shots of the beautiful lightly figured Honduran mahogany and detail of the heel cap and binding/purfling.

Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs up Love it! The bridge in particluar !

Congrats!
The craving for hog will soon be over

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop