The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-25-2016, 03:26 AM

+1 for Hercules too, I have 5 of the floor stands. However, all of these floor stands have gone sticky to the touch on the clutch grip handles so I reckon we need to monitor the peg head grip material irrespective of manufacturer's claims regarding the inert nature of the deployed padded material.

e&oe...
Old 10-25-2016, 06:29 AM
Guest316

At the risk of seeming to pile on, Hercules is the way to go. No marks on the finish of my nitro Gibson after 3-1/2 years on its Herc!
Old 10-25-2016, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Cured has nothing to do with it, really.

Certain chemical reactions will happen to "fully" cured nitroceellulose. For example PVC.

Two examples:

I had a nice cherry desk with nitro finish. Completely rock hard finished fine furniture. I put a vinyl desk mat on it and it melted the finish

I stuffed some of my old childhood toys in an attic. Ten years later I was moving stuff around and found that a rubber band had rested on the head of an original GI Joe doll. The rubber band melted through the head in decade-slow-motion but looked like a hot knife through butter.

Certain plastics will react when dry and fully cured and nitrocellulose lacquer is one of them. The only safe approach is to use a material that does not react.

Assuming its safe because it is cured is an invitation to uninformed disaster.
Sad but true...found that out the hard way on my '64 Stratocaster. Pretty sure THAT finish is fully cured.
Cheap Home Depot hooks on my wall hangers. Oops
2004 Taylor 214
2011 Taylor GC4
1964 Fender Stratocaster
1965 Fender Jazz Bass
Fender Twin Reverb
Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 AM
Guest 1928

Curing could be part of the issue...if the guitar were very new, but it's not. New lacquer is soft and will dent, which is different than a chemical reaction, but may look similar at first glance. I'm not a finish expert and can't fully explain it, but some lacquer hardens well over time, while some remains softer (more easily dented) than you would expect. That could be part of the problem here.

PVC is not necessarily a problem. It is vinyl products intended to remain soft and flexible that contain high concentrations of harmful plasticizers. Martin's Boltaron binding is PVC, but it is rigid, not like the old vinyl straps notorious for damaging lacquer. Their black pick guards are vinyl as well.

I have never had Hercules stands or hangers react my lacquer instruments. That's where I would start. If they cause damage, then I suspect it due to soft lacquer rather than a chemical reaction. Vegetable tanned leather, natural cork, and cotton cloth should be fine as well.
Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

I use Hanger-Bra, never any issues w/ nitro cellulose lacquer.

https://www.amazon.com/Hanger-Bra-AM.../dp/B006MG6172
Old 10-25-2016, 08:43 AM

Thanks to all for the informative replies.
Old 10-31-2016, 02:42 PM

Another vote for string swings hangers. I've been using them for years on nitro guitars and never had any problems.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Hercules claims they are nitro safe. They did have a problem when they started (I read) but that was long long long ago and fixed.

Because I'm a little overprotective, I made little felt tubes on a sewing machine and slip those over the arms.
I do that but with cotton tshirts that I tear into strips for my 5-guitar stands and I also use the ultimate guitar stand without any wrap...
Old 02-03-2020, 05:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

FYI, you can find a whole selection of nitrocellulose safe guitar stands at GuitarStorage.com.

Here are just a few examples:

Old 02-03-2020, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Great guitar with lots of character. Dreadnaught, made of solid Yellow long leaf pine, everything, neck, back, sides, and top.

Wow. Pictures please?

-Mike
Old 02-03-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm55 View Post
I have a custom build finished in nitrocellulose lacquer. It is very temperamental. I sat it on a foam lined guitar stand and after just a short time it marked the finish. I managed to clean things up with some Micromesh, and then hung the guitar on a hanger lined with leather. To my astonishment, it too marked the finish!

Is there any material safe for nitro finishes? I realize guitar cases are lined with textiles of one kind or another, and this guitar doesn't seem to suffer in the case, but the area of applied force is much greater in a wall hanger or stand, so it seems that the felt could theoretically be a problem there too. In any event, any ideas for nitro safe padding for a hanger would be appreciated.
https://www.dnaguitargear.com/starfish

I bought the starfish stand from these guys in anticipation of my nitro finished LL56 Yamaha that is coming this summer. In the meantime I’m using it with my RainSong. It is an incredible product. High quality and very sturdy.

Both the headstock holder and the foam on the bottom of the stand where the body rests are nitro safe.

They have wall hangers and other products that are nitro safe...

Good luck

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky

Last edited by Dbone; 02-04-2020 at 02:59 AM.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

At $23, the Axe Hugger isn't cheap for what it is, but it looks like it would get the job done. They have different versions to fit different kinds of stands.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion