The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2010, 01:29 PM

Default How many people use audacity?

I've never needed anything more. It has a few effects you can add in (i've only used the one to increase the bass on a track) and you can fairly easily correct mistakes by muting a track for a certain period of time.

I know a lot of you probably use software that you need to buy, but what is the real advantage to your software?
Old 11-23-2010, 02:04 PM

I had used audacity when I first started recording, its one of the few free editing programs that is Mac compatible. After installing iLife and using Garageband I will never go back, its an exponential increase in capability without much additional effort. For PC I have used Ableton and found it to have about the same learning curve as Audacity and would recommend it as well. Audacity is a great tool though, making recording and editing possible for anyone with the drive!

www.bryanedward.bandcamp.com
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 PM

I use Ardour (see my sig). Advantages over audacity:
  • non-destructive editing
  • better mixing (eg pre/post fader sends, inserts & plugins)
  • buses
  • inserts
  • sends
  • latency compensation
  • mixer automation
  • plug-in automation
  • manually editable volume graphs
  • precision audio segment editing and alignment
  • studio templates save complex set ups of buses, sends, FX, etc
  • time stretching
  • recording punch in/out

I could go on...

No midi yet, although that's in the pipeline.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM

I use Audacity. I used it to record/edit the stuff I had up on iTunes. Unless there's something pros or high end users, or just persnickity perfectionists need that I haven't needed yet, I can't see wasting time looking for anything
Old 11-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

It all depends on what your needs and/or wants are in terms recording, if you don't need or want anything more then you don't . There are however tons of added features and capabilities as you move into the more complex DAWs ,along with more expense.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I use Audacity. I used it to record/edit the stuff I had up on iTunes. Unless there's something pros or high end users, or just persnickity perfectionists need that I haven't needed yet, I can't see wasting time looking for anything
C'mon, folks who don't use what you use need to be criticized......lame!!

Live and let live!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 11-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Default Audacity for fingerstyle solo acoutic

OK, being more specific, how about Audacity for YouTube fingerstyle solos?

Is there really much point in paying for another DAW if one only has a single track, or at most two mics (my H2 Zoom), no other instruments, no voice, etc.

I ask because, I am looking for a way to optimize sound for YouTube vid's and Audacity looks to be simple and free.

The other two factors for me are: I am NOT interested in spending the precious little time I have to play on reading 200 pages of instructions for the DAW. I need user-friendly!

Secondly, I have a newer PC with Windows 7. Does Ardour, etc. all work on that?

Lastly, does anyone know of a good place to learn about how to use the effect plug-ins on Audacity? Many options and it's a bit confusing what they are all for and how to use them. I think I only really want a little EQ, dleay or reverb maybe, and some increase in volume. Although it would be fun to learn how to add some more pronounced effects for the right tune.

Should this be a new thread?

Thanks,

--Bill

Forest, VA

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 11-24-2010, 09:58 AM

Unfortunately Ardour is Linux & Mac only. Of course you could create a linux partition just for music. Ardour is donation-ware so you pay what you want. Don't let that fool you though: it's a very powerful DAW.

Reaper seems to be a rough equivalent for Windows.

If you have just one instrument and work in whole takes, you might not need any advanced mixing. It can help though. I find that I often use several tracks for a single guitar part. I'll record a short section over and over again, chop up the audio to pick out the best segments, then stitch it all together again.

That really helps if you're a bit of a clumsy player. Even if you're a good one, something as simple as punch in/out can be a godsend to tape over a little error where you coughed or tapped your foot or something.

As you get deeper into home recording I bet you'll find lots of useful features in a proper DAW. For example Ardour can export CD markers if you ever plan to make a CD. For now, just keep making music the best way you know how
Old 11-24-2010, 11:24 AM

Hey thanks Moon,

That's some good sound advice. About 'clumsy playing' - had to laugh. That's me! If I could splice and cut and paste all would be well

But, alas, I have no idea how to do that, so guess I'll just have to get better at playing guitar.

I'm hearing a lot of good things about Reaper. Is this pretty easy to use? I probably should spend the $40-60 and learn to use a good DAW at this point.

I am not clear why or how one uses multiple tracks for solo guitar recording.
obviously I have a lot to learn.

--Bill

YouTube: http://www.YouTube.com/wfbrown1234
Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrown View Post
OK, being more specific, how about Audacity for YouTube fingerstyle solos?

Is there really much point in paying for another DAW if one only has a single track, or at most two mics (my H2 Zoom), no other instruments, no voice, etc.

I ask because, I am looking for a way to optimize sound for YouTube vid's and Audacity looks to be simple and free.

The other two factors for me are: I am NOT interested in spending the precious little time I have to play on reading 200 pages of instructions for the DAW. I need user-friendly!

Secondly, I have a newer PC with Windows 7. Does Ardour, etc. all work on that?

Lastly, does anyone know of a good place to learn about how to use the effect plug-ins on Audacity? Many options and it's a bit confusing what they are all for and how to use them. I think I only really want a little EQ, dleay or reverb maybe, and some increase in volume. Although it would be fun to learn how to add some more pronounced effects for the right tune.

Should this be a new thread?

Thanks,

--Bill

Forest, VA
Since Audacity can host VST plugins, its power is basically unlimited.

For a solo performer capturing YouTube audio on an H2, Audacity will take care of your business.

Visit http://www.kvraudio.com/get.php and search for the tools you need. The VSTs you find there will give you a user interface that's a bit more friendly than the parameter based effects that come with Audacity, some with presets that will get you headed in the right direction.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-24-2010, 12:08 PM

I haven't used Reaper but they probably have a demo to try out, or if you hunt around on youtube there will probably be some vids.

The multiple tracks thing works like this: first I'll set up a "clipboard" track and record a section over and over again. In Ardour you can store a big stack of takes in one track, although only one is ever active.

If I'm lucky, one of them, or part of one of them, will be just right. I'll chop out that segment and drop it into a separate track - "guitar 1".

You can't just drop all the segments into one track however. Suppose you have a single Am chord strum in one audio segment, and a bass string riff is played just after. You probably need to let the chord ring out and decay naturally while the riff is played on top. So the riff goes in another track "guitar 2" so that both audio segments can play together.

Same sort of thing applies if you record with FX like delay or reverb. (People will often advise you not to do that but it's OK so long as you know exactly the sound you want). Separate tracks for individual chords or riffs allows you to preserve the decay, if you need to.

Conversely, segmented audio also allows you to deliberately chop a sound for effect in a way which might be very difficult or impossible to play.

And there's more... you can experiment with a better sound by doubling the guitar ie same thing on two different tracks. Stringed instruments are incredibly sensitive; two takes will never be exactly the same and you can sometimes add a little sparkle by doubling up. Or pan left and right to create a kind of stereo effect. Note that the timing will have to be exactly the same, but subtle (or deliberate) differences in timbre will be enough to give a new kind of sound. If a guitar sound thin, overlay the same music picked higher up towards the fretboard then mix in some of the fatter, sweeter tones. Actually, on good guitars you don't need to do that but it can create a richer sound with cheaper models.

Note that with multiple tracks for just one guitar part, you need to gather them all up in a single bus so that you have one convenient location to control volume or apply an effect like reverb.

Lots of short audio segments also allows you to correct errors of timing or expression. Segments can be dragged around the timeline with sub-millisecond accuracy. If a chord is too quiet it can be made louder, or if too loud it can be turned down.

Be advised though, this is a lot of work. You can spend hours trying to perfect just one minute of one track. Sometimes you lose sight of the forest for looking at the trees. You might lose some feel and narrative flow. All the bits have to come together in a meaningful whole.

If you can play the part right through, perfectly each time, that's the way to do it

Last edited by moon; 11-24-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:31 PM

I've used Audacity, but it quickly found it limiting. I am using REAPER (used to use FL Studio, still do occasionally) now and loving it. I like it's recording system - I click arm and go to town. I can do mixing with it, use VSTs and DXes (I do that a lot) and all. Thing I don't like about REAPER is it's MIDI interface. I still think FL Studio has the best MIDI editing GUI. REAPER doesn't take all the VSTs I want to use well, either. FL is still better at this. BUT, I can do very simple video syncing in REAPER which I think is great. REAPER is only nearinv version 4 and they have a long way to go (but they've done outstanding work already). I'm pretty sure REAPER will be able to compete with the current studio standars.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM

ALL my recordings have been done on Audacity.

Not that I like it so much Ive just been too lazy to move and OP stated, it does the job adaquately.

My wife of course swears by Garagband, but i dont use a Mac ..
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-26-2010, 02:46 PM

Another vote for Audacity. I simply don't do all that much tweaking of the tracks.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:46 PM

I use it and find that it fits my needs for now pretty well. I just need a better mic setup. I am thinking about getting a H2, can I use it as a stand alone mic directly into Audacity?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD