The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-12-2020, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sax Player Guy View Post
If you go to the Larrivee site you can compare models:
It appears that they are nearly identical, with the only serious difference seeming to be the bracing-- OM-40 has scalloped hybrid, while the OM-03 has X-bracing. i remember reading somewhere that the goal of the scalloped hybrid bracing was to provide more bass response, so kcnbys's comment matches up with that.
The naming convention is misleading.

The OM-40 hybrid bracing is a hybrid between Martin and Larrivee bracing patterns. Only the tone bars are scalloped. The main X-brace on both bracing patters is a non-scalloped parabolic X.

Here is a pic of the -40 bracing pattern on a Dread. Scalloped tone bars, parrabolic X brace.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-12-2020, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Larrivee's guitars are very consistent. By this I mean, there is little difference in sound between one OM-40 offered at one place, verses an Om 40 offered at another place. Jean Larrivee buys wood that he personally selects. Often flying to the country of choice just to purchase wood. Sometimes his son John, goes out into the woods looking for good spruce. Of course, no matter what,there will always be minute differences between same models. But In my experience, I have found them to be very consistent in sound in a specific model, with the same tone woods.
There have been many forum threads on the consistency of Larrivee guitars.
What you have to consider is if you like the added bass response. I own Two 40 series guitars and two regular series Larrivees. Personally, I do like the extra bass. However, it all depends upon your playing style and music of your choice.
Of course....there is no substitute for trying the guitar in person first. To see if the you like that difference.

I do typically prefer the Martin sound compared to say a Taylor so I'm good with the low end for sure. I think where I am now is even if I can't tell the difference in tone, I like some of the aesthetics of the 40 series and the price should be pretty close so I'm probably going to go that direction. If I'm not able to for some reason I loved the 03 so I figure I can't lose.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:49 AM

I ordered an OM-40. I got a chance to go to a shop that had another OM-3 but also had some Martins, Eastmans and a few others I wanted to play. The Larrivee stood out above all. I'd prefer to deal with local shops but the big box had the Larrivee on the promotion so it was just too much savings.

Wont ship until March sometime. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post
I ordered an OM-40. I got a chance to go to a shop that had another OM-3 but also had some Martins, Eastmans and a few others I wanted to play. The Larrivee stood out above all. I'd prefer to deal with local shops but the big box had the Larrivee on the promotion so it was just too much savings.

Enjoy your new Larrivee (when it arrives).

Blues
Old 02-18-2020, 12:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylb23 View Post

I think you will find that it was worth the wait. Congrats!
Old 02-18-2020, 01:22 PM

wow. I hadn't realized that the 40 series sits right next to the 03 series in price and appointments. I figured it went sequentially where the 40 would be above the 05, 09, 10, etc. Not at all. huh.
Old 02-18-2020, 01:25 PM

Congrats on your soon-to-be OM-40! I think you'll be quite happy with it!
Old 02-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Larrivees are AWESOME guitars and the quality is Excellent! I own an OM-40 and love it! Great choice! Cheers!
Old 02-18-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Money View Post
wow. I hadn't realized that the 40 series sits right next to the 03 series in price and appointments. I figured it went sequentially where the 40 would be above the 05, 09, 10, etc. Not at all. huh.
Unfortunately it's more complicated than that. Not as complicated as whatever alphabet soup Martin is serving up this week though.

So normally it would go:

Where an -02 is a somewhat decontented -03, and an -04 is normally a gloss top -03 but the exact specs have varied over the years.

The -19 was a -10 without the abalone purfling, and they called it a 19 because Jean or Matt though that calling it a -09.5 was silly.

It then kind of starts over again, with a different series that are more "Traditional" (i.e. more Martinish) with -40 -50 and -60

The -40 is comparable to the -03, the -50 the -05, and the -60 the -09 but with several changes to make them more "traditional"

The -40s are really nice. I certainly wouldn't mind owning, say.. an OM-40W.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 02-18-2020, 09:32 PM

I have a D-40r and a D-03. They each have different tonal characteristics, but both outstanding guitars. You cannot go wrong with a Larrivee. Congratulations!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion