The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 01:26 PM

Thumbs up Martin X Series X1-DE

Just picked up a Martin X series X1-DE today. Anyone out there have one of these? Just curious as I was in the mood to buy a guitar under $500 and wasn't sure what I was going to get until I picked this one up and started strumming it. Impressed with the feel and tone, I plugged it in and was blown away by how good it sounded! It comes with the Fishman Sonitone Pickup and needless to say I was really impressed!

I'm a Taylor guy and have 3 Taylor Acoustics. From the GS8, a 214ce and a Taylor 310. But after picking up this quite affordable Martin model made in Mexico, I was really amazed at how nice it was! I especially liked the "Richlite" neck and how smooth it felt.

For anyone looking for a great acoustic electric to start out with and doesn't want to spend a ton of money. This is it!
Martin X Series - X1/DE
Ibanez AEG10 NII
Fender Strat American Standard 1990
Fender Strat American Deluxe Strat 2012
PRS Custom 24 Cherry Sunburst
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Blackback PRO (Antique Ivory)
Old 02-17-2020, 10:29 PM

I've played those types of guitars for several years, through many different model numbers and features. To me, they all sound like they are wrapped in an old pair of heavy socks.

In other words, muddy and muffled. But that's my opinion. It's sad because I am in my 70s and have never had enough money to buy a Martin ... but even at that I wouldn't buy one.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 02-17-2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspicker View Post
Just picked up a Martin X series X1-DE today. Anyone out there have one of these? Just curious as I was in the mood to buy a guitar under $500 and wasn't sure what I was going to get until I picked this one up and started strumming it. Impressed with the feel and tone, I plugged it in and was blown away by how good it sounded! It comes with the Fishman Sonitone Pickup and needless to say I was really impressed!

I'm a Taylor guy and have 3 Taylor Acoustics. From the GS8, a 214ce and a Taylor 310. But after picking up this quite affordable Martin model made in Mexico, I was really amazed at how nice it was! I especially liked the "Richlite" neck and how smooth it felt.

For anyone looking for a great acoustic electric to start out with and doesn't want to spend a ton of money. This is it!
It’s not your imagination. I’ve had my Martin 000-x1ae for like, 5 years. I demo’d it for 2 years at GC every time I went in and I always liked it. I had the 000-18GE before it, which is real nice but I ended up trading it because I played the 000x1 most of the time. To this day, that little HPL Guitar is my go-to guitar over all the rest. I can leave it out, toss it in the car, camping, etc. and don’t have to worry about it. I’d like to buy a 2nd one for no good reason. Most important, I really love the sound of it. The HPL has a warmer, deeper tone, which sounds nice in a small body and it takes a flatpick really well without overdriving the top. I really play that thing hard. My Little Martin Felix is also HPL F/B/S and sounds better than the One with the wood top. Only the neck is wood.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 02-18-2020, 04:53 AM

Just got a little x and am impressed with the stratabond and richlite. Honestly if this hpl holds up to the abuse I suspect it can, I'll be getting a bigger one in the future.

2021 Taylor 114e
2020 Martin 000-18
2020 Martin LXME
Old 02-18-2020, 05:29 AM
Charter Member

I sold my first MartinX to a friend who has a d-18. He wanted it to take out when he didn't want to take his good guitar. He still has it and he's still happy with it.

Last year I got another, a GPCX 20th Anniversary with a hardwood neck and Morado (Bolivian Rosewood) fretboard and bridge. I got a great deal on it, new, locally. It stays at my Upstate house. When I take it to my jam group up here someone will always say how good it sounds! I also have my Dread Jr here but I never play it anymore. The MartinX has taken it's spot. Soon I'll sell off the Dread Jr.

This year Martin is banking a lot on the X, with a lot of upgraded models. So the Nay-Sayers, like Ralph, better get used to them.
Old 02-18-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magazine View Post
Just got a little x and am impressed with the stratabond and richlite. Honestly if this hpl holds up to the abuse I suspect it can, I'll be getting a bigger one in the future.

That’s what I like about it. You don’t feel stressed out about it getting nicked or abused. It plays like a dream and doesn’t cost an arm and a leg. Great guitar for the money! And it has that Martin look and stamp on it, without all the D-45 bling and cost!
Martin X Series - X1/DE
Ibanez AEG10 NII
Fender Strat American Standard 1990
Fender Strat American Deluxe Strat 2012
PRS Custom 24 Cherry Sunburst
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Blackback PRO (Antique Ivory)
Old 02-18-2020, 06:59 AM

Quote:

They do hold up well, but remember that HPL is closer to Formica than wood. If you hit it wrong it does not crack, it shatters. If repairable it will be big and ugly.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:12 AM

Default Martin X Series X1-DE

I bought my daughter a 000XM 18 years ago hoping it would handle the humidity at summer camp. I played it a lot when she was young. For the last ten years she has not played it, and it was in the case under her bed.
On my last visit I found that the front was separating from the lower side. I brought it home and the luthier was able to get it glued back. I was thinking water damage but he thought it was from heat like too close to a vent or space heater.
Regardless it is playing again. Remarkable that Martin can get a decent sound from Formica.
I have heard comments that it is really neat, and also “shame on Martin for pushing a plasticized Formica guitar.
I do not regret buying it for her as the neck is quite playable, and with new strings it does not sound bad for a cheap guitar (this was the lowest end of the line...all HPL, no wood except neck). However, I don’t know that I would recommend one either.
Congrats on your new guitar. I hope it is great for you.
IMG_5446.jpgIMG_5439.jpg

Last edited by whvick; 02-18-2020 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-18-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
You don’t need the bigger one. It’s plenty loud and so comfortable to play on the sofa compared to a big dreadnaught. It doesn’t get dings on the B/S. I don’t prefer the sound of the bigger x series compared to real wood, but they sound a lot better than most of the lesser brand all wood guitars.
Taylor 815C, Taylor 410e, Taylor 314ce, Taylor 224ce-K DLX, Taylor 110e, Martin D-18GE, Martin D-14 Woodstock, Little Martin Felix II, Sigma DM-5, Sigma DR-41, Martin 000x1e, Washburn 314k Parlor-125th anniv, Yamaha FG730s, Liberty Mahogany resonator
Epiphone Emperor Joe Pass, Epiphone Sheraton II, Fender Amer. Std. SSH Strat, Ibanez SZ520
Old 02-18-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
I bought my daughter a 000XM 18 years ago hoping it would handle the humidity at summer camp. I played it a lot when she was young. For the last ten years she has not played it, and it was in the case under her bed.
On my last visit I found that the front was separating from the lower side. I brought it home and the luthier was able to get it glued back. I was thinking water damage but he thought it was from heat like too close to a vent or space heater.
Regardless it is playing again. Remarkable that Martin can get a decent sound from Formica.
I have heard comments that it is really neat, and also “shame on Martin for pushing a plasticized Formica guitar.
I do not regret buying it for her as the neck is quite playable, and with new strings it does not sound bad for a cheap guitar (this was the lowest end of the line...all HPL, no wood except neck)
Yes, it’s possible for the top to separate on the non-wood top models and I wouldn’t recommend that one. I experienced that with my Little Martin Felix when my son was banging it on the carpet to get a pick out of it. He was 4 or 5 at the time. I got it fixed though.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macfawlty View Post
It’s not your imagination. I’ve had my Martin 000-x1ae for like, 5 years. I demo’d it for 2 years at GC every time I went in and I always liked it. I had the 000-18GE before it, which is real nice but I ended up trading it because I played the 000x1 most of the time. To this day, that little HPL Guitar is my go-to guitar over all the rest. I can leave it out, toss it in the car, camping, etc. and don’t have to worry about it. I’d like to buy a 2nd one for no good reason. Most important, I really love the sound of it. The HPL has a warmer, deeper tone, which sounds nice in a small body and it takes a flatpick really well without overdriving the top. I really play that thing hard. My Little Martin Felix is also HPL F/B/S and sounds better than the One with the wood top. Only the neck is wood.
I picked up a 000-X1AE last year. I'm amazed that Martin can produce a guitar that plays and sounds this good at a price point south of $500 street price. It gets as much playing time as any of my other more expensive guitars. As someone who has not preferred anything but dreads and jumbos in the past, I find your comment about the warmer, deeper tone of this model to be spot on. A small body guitar with a tone that a dread-lover can appreciate.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 02-18-2020, 09:57 AM

I have a 2005 DX1-R, bought used; it is really unique in that it has real (rose)wood for the fretboard and bridge...and was made in Nazareth, USA!
It was on the selling block for a while, then I changed brands of strings searching for what might make it acceptable to me. It is now getting loads of playing time; I am normally a GHS string user, but I went from GHS Bluegrass 85/15, to J. Pearse PB Lights, and it has become a DADGAD favorite. And it's really a bonus considering what I paid for it!

Last edited by Naboz; 02-18-2020 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Another thought.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
This year Martin is banking a lot on the X, with a lot of upgraded models. So the Nay-Sayers, like Ralph, better get used to them.
Wow. I wake up, get my morning coffee and read this personal attack against me. Not cool. I thought I was allowed to voice my opinion on this forum. Well I guess I was wrong.

I said that it was "my opinion" as I know the "X" series has been a big seller for Martin. I have been disappointed in the ones I've played ... and as I've said I've played many models for the past two or three years.

If you like the sound of the guitar, that's fine. Bashing me for my personal opinion is not.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion