The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 10:23 AM

Default Anyone else have a Fender CP-60S?

I picked up a Fender CP-60S Parlor guitar (with the sunburst top) during the Christmas sales just to have something to take anywhere without worry. It is also smaller and easier to transport and saves my more expensive guitars from wear and tear.

I have to say, I am really having a lot of fun with it. It has a great sound, probably due to the solid Spruce top. It is a parlor size so it is easy to play on the couch or wherever.

I am very surprised at how good it sounds and was wondering how many are out there? I have a Fender DG-8S which was my first guitar and it sounds great too so I guess I shouldn't be. I don't see any reviews on The CP-60S on YTube or the forums. Not that it would make a difference since I already bought it, but I was just curious.

Any others out there? Opinions?
Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 PM

Well, I guess that answers my question. Lol!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 AM

So, is it new and no one has one yet, they have really bad reputation and people want to spare my feelings, or something else?

Come on, I can take it. LOL!
Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 AM

Our daughter-in-law just got the slightly larger CC-60S (concert size) for our son at the holidays. He hasn’t had that much time to play on it and neither have I, yet.

Glad you’re enjoying yours!
Old 03-04-2018, 09:35 AM

I picked one up a few weeks back. I'm a beginner so I was shopping a budget price, easy playability and a quality product from a good mfg. I tried several in this price range and the Fender cp-60s sounded the best. Also "felt" the best on the neck. And the parlor size is easy to hold. Very natural. Low action which is important for these 62 year old fingers. The shop I bought it from said they were selling well and planned on keeping several of these in stock. For $200 you can't go wrong. Plus I won't cry if it gets dinged up.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:25 PM

I've been playing with the idea of putting a bone or Tusq nut and saddle on it, but haven't decided. I like the tone, size, and playability.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 PM

I have a Fender CT-60s, the travel-sized guitar in the line.
I like it a lot for what it is.
The nut and saddle are some sort of Tusq-like material, certainly better than a lot of cheap plastics.

Fender aren't well known for their acoustics. Nothing really wrong with them, but nothing that makes them stand out either. I've played several recently that I really liked.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:34 PM

I also own the CP-60s and it is fun indeed:
- Very responsive, with shiny trebles, moderately boxy midrange (half-way between a ukulele and an acoustic guitar) and soft furry lows.
- Very easy to play, very low action, perfect intonation
- Quite loud, in any case much louder than my laminated dreadnought
- Simple yet attractive design: while it looks very orange on the pictures, it is in fact darker, closer to the expected vintage look of a sunburst.

Most of all, each string has its proper voice, which makes it very articulate for fingerpicking (delta blues, celtic tunes, etc). For comparison I have played a Martin LX1E which was more balanced maybe (more like a dreadnought), but it was not so addictive.

I think the videos on line, most of them showing it for strumming, are misleading : the CP-60s should be played with fingers. When fingerpicking, it sounds quite like its predecessor the discontinued CP-100, but on the louder and chimier side (thanks to its solid top?), with a sound closer to the high-end parlor brands.

The only drawback I noticed is when playing slide: while the little E and B really chime when fingerpicking, the little E string surprisingly sounds dull under a slide. Since the B string still sounds fine, I suppose a heavier gauge for that little E string would help.
Old 01-05-2020, 04:41 PM

Default Most accurate sound check

Watch link below from minute 7:00 on: that's the way it feels.

https://youtu.be/v7z0j9Cv7uk
Old 01-18-2020, 01:19 PM

Hi Acoustic woody, I'm from three years in the future.
I just ordered one due to the arthritis I have in my shoulders. Sometimes makes it painful to hug my dreadnaught. Can't wait to get it. My Drednaught is the Fender CD140sce.
I think Fender acoustics are under rated
Old 01-18-2020, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1956 View Post
Hi Acoustic woody, I'm from three years in the future.
I just ordered one due to the arthritis I have in my shoulders. Sometimes makes it painful to hug my dreadnaught. Can't wait to get it. My Drednaught is the Fender CD140sce.
I think Fender acoustics are under rated
Actually, if you look at parlor comparisons on Youtube this model always does quite well. The nut width (1 & 11/16) is a deal breaker for me.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 PM

Yea man! I have one I keep at work and take it camping for my campfire guitar. I keep telling people they are great guitars for the money and they would make a great beginners guitar. They really are pretty sweet. Maybe we can start our own cult following.
Old 01-24-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Actually, if you look at parlor comparisons on Youtube this model always does quite well. The nut width (1 & 11/16) is a deal breaker for me.
Yeah, I watched those videos. They helped me make my decision to buy.
The nut width is the same as my Fender Deadnought so that is a plus for me.
The smaller body and shorter scale help when the arthritis in my shoulders flares up.

Hack Guitarist: If we started a cult following it would have to be an underground one. Many people suffer from Fender derangement syndrome here.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion