The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Good photos, Kev, thanks. The ORTF makes sense, I wasn't picturing that, but it's obvious now that you show it! I'll be curious how that XY works out, I'd do Blumlein with these, stacked, which is where the little adaptor gizmo comes in handy. I was assuming you'd do them inline, and didn't think your bar was long enough. XY or Blumlein is interesting with these mics since they are so long, tho it ends up being similar to my R88, which is like 2 feet long or something. In any case, the long size of these side address mics makes a lot of mic placements seem different, at least visually.
Yes stacked would seem to be the way to go with these "Bloomin" mics . So that little double cup thing looks perfect.
We have bad weather coming in a few days, so I will likely do some recording and report back.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-14-2019 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Snowed all day yesterday so I did some mic position tests with my pair of the AEA N22's
Disclaimer : I have even more respect for people like Doug Young who do really great shootout reviews . It is not a small or easy task. Just trying to play the same exact thing consistently was a challenge

This is pretty rough and I learned one interesting thing because mic placement is so critical that standing to record guitar ( which is how I play live and what I did on these recordings) is not the most efficient method to maintain exact position.
Another thing I learned that with these mics XY was the most problematic close in because a shift of even 1/2 to 1 inch shifts the focus from say the 14 th fret to the soundhole so the XY recording I had to edit the pretty boomy section where I must have shifted slightly and had a bunch of rumble

So here goes first example is the "Snippets" a few seconds in order + ORTF-XY- Spaced pair,,,, back to back

Then a bit longer recording of each same order

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 01-18-2019 at 10:17 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Interesting samples. These sound really wide to me! Much wider than I'd expect ORTF, and especially XY, and you are getting some back and forth shifting as you say. I'd think recording while standing up would be really hard, you just naturally are going to want to move a bit. Could you have one of the mics reversed? (out of phase) - with these mics that could come from wiring, or from just using the back side of one mic, I think.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but for big mics like these, one way I've dealt with the balance vs soundhole boom issue is to use MS and place the mics dead center in front of the sound hole - I like the guitar body sound better than the stringy sound on the 14th fret anyway - and be sure the mid mic is substantially above the soundhole, at or above the waist of the guitar, with the side mic right in front of the soundhole. That places the mic's null at the soundhole, so it doesn't sound boomy, and produces a pretty wide sound, tho still not as wide as what you seem to be getting.

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-18-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting samples. These sound really wide to me! Much wider than I'd expect ORTF, and especially XY, and you are getting some back and forth shifting as you say. I'd think recording while standing up would be really hard, you just naturally are going to want to move a bit. Could you have one of the mics reversed? (out of phase) - with these mics that could come from wiring, or from just using the back side of one mic, I think.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but for big mics like these, one way I've dealt with the balance vs soundhole boom issue is to use MS and place the mics dead center in front of the sound hole - I like the guitar body sound better than the stringy sound on the 14th fret anyway - and be sure the mid mic is substantially above the soundhole, at or above the waist of the guitar, with the side mic right in front of the soundhole. That places the mic's null at the soundhole, so it doesn't sound boomy, and produces a pretty wide sound, tho still not as wide as what you seem to be getting.

Does sound like polarity on a mike reverse. I flipped polarity on a track in Audacity and it sounded better.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Charter Member

Good ears gentlemen and thank you for listening
I could not figure out why I was having such problems with sound and balance

So I checked my preamp and sure enough (you are absolutely correct) I had one of the polarity switches kicked to 180-- - musta been "studio gremlins" as I don't remember doing that----- DUH

I will redo the session and flip the polarity on one track BUT since there is more snow coming I'll give recording some new samples another shot as well .... Thanks again , Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-18-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Good ears gentlemen and thank you for listening
I could not figure out why I was having such problems with sound and balance

So I checked my preamp and sure enough (you are absolutely correct) I had one of the polarity switches kicked to 180-- - musta been "studio gremlins" as I don't remember doing that----- DUH

I will redo the session and flip the polarity on one track BUT since there is more snow coming I'll give recording some new samples another shot as well .... Thanks again , Kev
Not necessary to redo session. Just flip polarity on R or L side of stereo recording and export that. For example in Audacity "Split Stereo Track", "Invert" R or L side, "Make Stereo Track", export wav file.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Not necessary to redo session. Just flip polarity on R or L side of stereo recording and export that. For example in Audacity "Split Stereo Track", "Invert" R or L side, "Make Stereo Track", export wav file.
Yeah, unless the sound was throwing off his placement choices and getting in the way of dialing in a sound.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
That is what I meant by "redo" was open the session and to flip the polarity on one of the two mono tracks Did some minor balance adjustments as well

and here we go

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 01-18-2019 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yeah, unless the sound was throwing off his placement choices and getting in the way of dialing in a sound.
Well, yes of course, however it had already sounded good to me when I flipped polarity.

Last edited by rick-slo; 01-18-2019 at 08:44 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD