The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
I have noticed that since joining and was curious about it. One would expect guitars that have high production numbers such as Martin and Taylor to be the most common offered guitars, which is probably true, and other brands being offered proportional to their production number. But indeed their seems to be a vast over-representation of exotic and custom boutique build that the average mortal rarely gets to see or even touch in person. And I wonder why this is, I would have though that people who buy these often highly customized guitars would keep and treasure them for the rest of their lives. But instead many end up for sale again - and likely/hopefully NOT because they cause their owners some financial hardship. Maybe they don't live up to the their expectation? So sellers of these guitars, please chime in as to your reasons for selling these.
I bought my 2008 Taylor Fall Ltd. Koa/Cocobolo GS 7 months ago and it is one of the most beautiful guitars I’ve seen. Unplugged it’s one of the best sounding Taylors I’ve ever heard, but the plugged in tone did nothing for me and that’s what is was bought to use for. I moved it and another Taylor to get a Bourgeois dread. I played several of Dana’s dreads a few years back and they were the most amazing guitars I’ve ever played. I’m hoping that this dread will finally be the one to fill up my gas tank for good. I talked to a high-end guitar trader the other night and he said that he enjoys the hobby. Get a super nice high-end guitar, play it for awhile and trade it for another high-end guitar. So I think for some it’s a hobby. Myself, personally, I’m chasing a lifer guitar to go with my 1995 810, which is the only guitar I’ve ever owned that just does it for me and will be mine when I die.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-16-2019, 06:52 PM

I’m sure the boutiques are awesome and offer an unique playing experience, but sometimes the sound someon wants may just be the exact signsature sound that factories like Martin, Gibson, Taylor and Larrivee produce.

One day I’ll go to Nashville or somewhere and try some boutique guitars to see if I can find a phenomenal guitar that is worth selling a few of mine to acquire, but if one is looking for that D18 or J45 sound for example, that can only be found in Martin or Gibson.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky2 View Post
Goodalls cost more than 4 grand, don't they?
Yes, new they are $6000 and up. But I bought mine used for less than half of that, and I played it for a couple hours before buying. You can find them used for $3-4000 frequently. Having compared mine side by side with some luthier builds $7500-10,000 I preferred the Goodall. And Goodall is fairly well known after 40 years, so the market is pretty stable. You can buy a used one and usually get your money back. It's hard to do that if you spend $5K and up on a relatively unknown luthier and decide it's not for you.
1998 Larrivee OM05-MT All Mahogany
1998 Larrivee D09 Brazilian “Flying Eagle”
1998 Larrivee D10 Brazilian "Flying Eagle"
1990 Goodall Rosewood Standard

https://soundcloud.com/247hoopsfan
Old 01-16-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 247hoopsfan View Post
Yes, new they are $6000 and up. But I bought mine used for less than half of that, and I played it for a couple hours before buying. You can find them used for $3-4000 frequently. Having compared mine side by side with some luthier builds $7500-10,000 I preferred the Goodall. And Goodall is fairly well known after 40 years, so the market is pretty stable. You can buy a used one and usually get your money back. It's hard to do that if you spend $5K and up on a relatively unknown luthier and decide it's not for you.
Yes, that's true.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Some folks enjoy the chase...
Quote:
I have noticed that since joining and was curious about it. One would expect guitars that have high production numbers such as Martin and Taylor to be the most common offered guitars, which is probably true, and other brands being offered proportional to their production number. But indeed their seems to be a vast over-representation of exotic and custom boutique build that the average mortal rarely gets to see or even touch in person. And I wonder why this is, I would have though that people who buy these often highly customized guitars would keep and treasure them for the rest of their lives. But instead many end up for sale again - and likely/hopefully NOT because they cause their owners some financial hardship. Maybe they don't live up to the their expectation? So sellers of these guitars, please chime in as to your reasons for selling these.
You don’t see a lot of used Fords at a BMW dealership. It doesn’t mean there is anything wrong with Fords....

AGF is THE place to buy and sell previously owned boutique guitars; the only other option is to consign with a shop or website that sells such guitars.

You can sell lower priced Taylor’s, Martins, Guilds and Gibsons lots of places.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
There are a LOT less boutiques out there in the wild than guitars from production builders like Martin/Taylor/Gibson who make tens of thousands every year. Meanwhile, Goodall is making only ~ 100 annually (they were ~ 400 annually when they were in Kona, HI), Santa Cruz makes +/- 500, Bourgeois < 400, Huss and Dalton ~ 350, and Collings ~ 1400.

You can't swing a dead cat over your head without knocking a Martin or Taylor over somewhere, but the boutiques are much harder to come by. Many of us have to order them long distance with a trial period. And maybe after 6 months or a year with the guitar, we get tired of the neck, the tone, the playability, whatever.

Remember that this is an enthusiast forum, so you will see guitars discussed here and for sale that you otherwise wouldn't know about.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 01-16-2019, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

I was just going to comment the other day that it seems like there are a lot less common /standard models like mid level Martin's and Taylors in the past few months. Taylor's especially. Maybe people are hanging onto the "pre-Vclass" Taylors? I think the boutique ones have always been there, just not as spread out lately.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I just recently acquired a killer Bourgeois over there! Been wanting one for several years and I finally got one!
There's another mighty fine looking Bourgeois OM in there right now that has me salivating!
Old 01-17-2019, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiHog View Post
There's another mighty fine looking Bourgeois OM in there right now that has me salivating!
If it’s the one chedeng88 has for sale, I’d jump on it. I’ve bought from him and his guitars are super nice and he’s great to deal with.

Old 01-17-2019, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I bought my 2008 Taylor Fall Ltd. Koa/Cocobolo GS 7 months ago and it is one of the most beautiful guitars I’ve seen. Unplugged it’s one of the best sounding Taylors I’ve ever heard, but the plugged in tone did nothing for me and that’s what is was bought to use for. I moved it and another Taylor to get a Bourgeois dread. I played several of Dana’s dreads a few years back and they were the most amazing guitars I’ve ever played. I’m hoping that this dread will finally be the one to fill up my gas tank for good. I talked to a high-end guitar trader the other night and he said that he enjoys the hobby. Get a super nice high-end guitar, play it for awhile and trade it for another high-end guitar. So I think for some it’s a hobby. Myself, personally, I’m chasing a lifer guitar to go with my 1995 810, which is the only guitar I’ve ever owned that just does it for me and will be mine when I die.
Ok neighbor, I'm over here in west TN and wondering.....you got access to some of the most envied shops on the planet right in your backyard. Seems you'd find the dream guitar right there in town. I'll PM about a broker over here that I still need to visit by appointment only.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guildman View Post
Ok neighbor, I'm over here in west TN and wondering.....you got access to some of the most envied shops on the planet right in your backyard. Seems you'd find the dream guitar right there in town. I'll PM about a broker over here that I still need to visit by appointment only.
I’ve got 3 kids of my own and 2 more living with us full-time, so I’m in the trading business. I’d be in BIG trouble if I went out and bought a new one.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdiHog View Post
Maybe the reason there are so many is like the guy that buys the Jaguar or Maserati then finds out he like his Toyota ( Martin/Taylor) better and goes back to reliability instead of flash.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Maybe the reason there are so many is like the guy that buys the Jaguar or Maserati then finds out he like his Toyota ( Martin/Taylor) better and goes back to reliability instead of flash.
Every Bourgeois I've played or heard is amazing! The ones I Played at the bluegrass festival a few years back were just unbelievable. I played one and it blew my mind, picked up another and it blew my mind, picked up another and it blew my mind. I've wanted one every since. I also wanted to have a variety of brands in my stable so I can experience different makers and have different sounds. Variety is the spice of life!

Old 01-17-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Enthusiastically this ^^^^^

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-17-2019, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Some folks enjoy the chase...
Couldn't have said it better myself As long as you're trading or reselling when one comes through the door you can really experience firsthand what makes a builder reputable or what suits you best, then not lose too much, if any, when it is resold. Its hard sometimes to tell if something is worth buying brand new online, or to bring home just from 20 mins in a shop, although I had a wonderful experience at Dream Guitars when I went there to pick up a flight case for my Beneteau. Theres a good group of fellas on here who understand that and are a pleasure to deal with, as well.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion