The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post

I have some Dava picks, but not this variety with the rubber tips. Been waiting to try them, but I believe I'll have to acquire them online. Never seen them in the wild.

As another poster said, I am a bit concerned that I may end up striking the strings with the rubber tip, but I'll give them a try.
I love how the red ones sound, kinda softer, almost finger-like but not too much. These are called jazz grip, I believe. I had a bunch, wonder where they went...hope they'll be back soon cause they sure are hard to get by...The grip is incredibly steady by the way, the pick does not turn or dance around at all

Furch G24SF
Furch D31SR
Furch Om22CM
Sire Marcus Miller M7 Bass
Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddslide View Post
I have a few of these in different thicknesses and they sure are grippy, I will say. Someone told me they grip and feel very similar to the Cat Tongue picks, which I've yet to try.

I have some Dava picks, but not this variety with the rubber tips. Been waiting to try them, but I believe I'll have to acquire them online. Never seen them in the wild.

As another poster said, I am a bit concerned that I may end up striking the strings with the rubber tip, but I'll give them a try.
I have Dava picks and I like them. I started using them when I was getting back into playing after a many-year hiatus. I have since moved to Primetones (the smooth version) but I don't have significant grip issues. You can find them here: https://www.amazon.com/Dava-6024-Gri...a+guitar+picks

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 01-16-2019, 01:11 PM

I use .88 Tortex picks and put clear high-gloss tape on them. This stuff is the best stickiness for me, way better than any texture or sandpaper-esque stuff they put on picks. I used to use "cool" picks, they have a variety of textures, but still not sticky enough!

Old 01-16-2019, 01:22 PM

I just use one of those thingies you attach to the mic stand and load it up with picks. So if I do drop one, I got another right there.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
I use .88 Tortex picks and put clear high-gloss tape on them. This stuff is the best stickiness for me, way better than any texture or sandpaper-esque stuff they put on picks. I used to use "cool" picks, they have a variety of textures, but still not sticky enough!

Cyber, this is close to what I do.

I started doing this about thirty years ago; I don't remember why. I suspect I read about it in an interview with someone like Tony Rice. Anyway, it's easy, fast, and cheap cheap cheap. Did I say it was cheap?

Take a spool of white cotton medical tape and tear off about an inch, let lay it along both sides of the pick sticky side down against the pick face, like this:

It does two things:
1) It remains sticky for quite a long time. When it gets old, just peel off and replace.
2) More importantly, it absorbs the oils and sweat from you fingers; the cotton acts as a whisk to accomplish this.

BTW, make sure the tape is 100% COTTON. They have these cheap ones now that are polyester or something. 100% cotton gives it the absorption you need.

Looks stupid? Sounds stupid? Try it and see if it doesn't work.

Scott Memmer
Old 01-16-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetreebob View Post
I like the DAVA picks.
Add another fan of Dava picks. My hands are extremely dry, especially in the winter. I can hang onto a Dava with the rubber grip better than anything else. I've tried a bunch of the picks mentioned in this thread, and nothing works as well for me as a Dava.
Old 01-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Cyber, this is close to what I do.

I started doing this about thirty years ago; I don't remember why. I suspect I read about it in an interview with someone like Tony Rice. Anyway, it's easy, fast, and cheap cheap cheap. Did I say it was cheap?

Take a spool of white cotton medical tape and tear off about an inch, let lay it along both sides of the pick sticky side down against the pick face, like this:

It does two things:
1) It remains sticky for quite a long time. When it gets old, just peel off and replace.
2) More importantly, it absorbs the oils and sweat from you fingers; the cotton acts as a whisk to accomplish this.

BTW, make sure the tape is 100% COTTON. They have these cheap ones now that are polyester or something. 100% cotton gives it the absorption you need.

Looks stupid? Sounds stupid? Try it and see if it doesn't work.

Scott Memmer
Very nice! Too simple isn't it? And the cheap thing sure is a factor. I think the tape I use is like $3 at the corner store and lasts me years.

For instance I like the look of the Guitar Moose grip stick-ons but they are $20 a pack but can only be used on 10 picks total! That's insanity!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Very nice! Too simple isn't it? And the cheap thing sure is a factor. I think the tape I use is like $3 at the corner store and lasts me years.

For instance I like the look of the Guitar Moose grip stick-ons but they are $20 a pack but can only be used on 10 picks total! That's insanity!
They are pricey, but they're reusable. After one pick wears out, I just peel it off and stick it on another one. Each one can be reused 4 or 5 times before it stops being sticky.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-17-2019, 08:07 PM

Is the thickness of the Guitar Moose picks in mm? For example, here it mentions 50 as light, 65 medium, 80 heavy, 100 x-heavy. I don't think of an 80mm pick as heavy, so just wondering if these numbers accurately reflect the # of mm.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:12 PM

Guitar Moose Sticky Grip picks......

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 PM

Well...I have Dava, Guitar Moose, and V-Picks on the way. Already tried a few other generic grippy picks from GC yesterday to mediocre results. We'll see how these more specialty options work.
Thanks again...
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D41Fan View Post
Ive recommended the Cats Tongue pick to others and they like them..Its the only one I use. It really does feel like a cats tongue and I don't drop my picks anymore.
https://www.long-mcquade.com/73004/G..._088_Black.htm
Big fan of the Cats Tongue picks. I also like the Data Grip Tips.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 01-18-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
They are pricey, but they're reusable. After one pick wears out, I just peel it off and stick it on another one. Each one can be reused 4 or 5 times before it stops being sticky.
That is great info, thank you. I "might" check them out at some point just for kicks.
Old 01-18-2019, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarino View Post
I'm a big fan of Dunlop Max-Grip picks. They're all I use. Highly recommended.

https://www.jimdunlop.com/category/p...ks/max-grip.do

I like Dunlop Max-Grip picks too, the grippiest picks I've found so far.
They are common enough, so even my local music store offers them.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 01-18-2019, 07:26 AM

Default Mojo Grip

I couldn't hold onto picks. I was told I was holding it wrong, but holding it "right" just didn't work for me. I tried all sorts of solutions until I found the Mojo Grip. It's a rubber grip that the classic shape pick of your choice slides into. It adds thickness, grittiness, and you can use the pick of your choice.

For $3 your problems could be solved:
https://www.pickworld.com/mojogrips

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion