The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-25-2020, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Hmmmm? Filling in the musical void with gear?
Yes Absolutely! And I sincerely ask you, why not?
I do not believe that all of us are capable of being Tommy Emmanuel, no matter how much we practice. I do not believe that all of us are capable of writing iconic forever masterpieces like Paul McCartney. No matter how much time we try and write songs.
But all of us are capable of finding a guitar, and the accessories that go with it that will make us sound better.

I can think of no greater pleasure than hearing just one perfect sounding chord, on a great sounding Steel String guitar.
So for myself, guitars and the gear that goes with it has helped me to achieve the sound I have always dreamed of. The Guitar. The type of Back and sides. The Soundboard. And most recently the type of pick. Yes the type of pick took me over the top. And not only gave me a much better sound, but it let me play more precisely.
And as I ascent to each new level of sound? I also seem to learn to play a bit better. And that is because the guitar can now allow me to pluck, strum with more feeling. More nuances. You can not achieve what is not there to begin with. And with that new sound almost always comes a new tune I have written.
No shame here for this old gear chaser. I say revel in our gear chasing.
And I would also dare to point out, that most greats, be it in music, photography, archery, chase......gear. There must be a good reason for this?

This is an interesting response! I’ve never quite thought of it this way. We may not ever be masters of the craft, but we can still aspire to sound like the greats! I guess it is like golf in a sense. One may not not ever make the PGA tour, but you can still play the same courses as the greats and enjoy it all the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion