The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 02-12-2022, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Scott, you ask for comments from those who saw him. I think I shared this with you before, so perhaps Im at the age where I repeat stories. (At least Im still aware Im doing it!).

I was about 4 years old, riding in back of my parents ‘69 Mustang, on our way home to Homewood, Ill. We had to detour through Kankakee. We had to wait on an Amtrak passenger train as it “pulled out of Kankakee.” Well, as you know, legend has it that he penned that song “plein air” while on that train. So, I like to tell myself that as a young kid climbing into the front seat to wave at passengers in the window, I SAW STEVE GOODMAN, as the train pulled out of Kankakee and rolled along past houses, farms, and fields!

I also share if for no other reason, than to keep this well-deserved thread alive! What I would give to time travel back and see those two play to an empty, grungy Chi-town night club!
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

Last edited by dnf777; 02-13-2022 at 05:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I think this video says it all;

I was at that show. It was an all day affair with Arlo, Steve, and a lot of other players. The thing that I remember is seeing Steve and Arlo play ''City of New Orleans'' together.

I think even people who remember him think of Steve as a songwriter, but he was also a great guitar player
Old 02-13-2022, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
I think this video says it all
Thank you for that! A long-time Goodman fan, I started my live performing "career" by first performing Six Hours Ahead of the Sun. My own little tribute to an awesome talent, taken way too early.
Old 02-17-2022, 12:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Thank you for that! A long-time Goodman fan, I started my live performing "career" by first performing Six Hours Ahead of the Sun. My own little tribute to an awesome talent, taken way too early.
He was a real dynamo. Even all these years later he comes into my memory constantly. I have never seen anyone who loved to be onstage more than Steve Goodman, and that stretches over thousands of performers in my lifetime.

Thanks for your Post.

Scott
Old 03-06-2022, 09:24 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Scott, you ask for comments from those who saw him. I think I shared this with you before, so perhaps Im at the age where I repeat stories. (At least Im still aware Im doing it!).

I was about 4 years old, riding in back of my parents ‘69 Mustang, on our way home to Homewood, Ill. We had to detour through Kankakee. We had to wait on an Amtrak passenger train as it “pulled out of Kankakee.” Well, as you know, legend has it that he penned that song “plein air” while on that train. So, I like to tell myself that as a young kid climbing into the front seat to wave at passengers in the window, I SAW STEVE GOODMAN, as the train pulled out of Kankakee and rolled along past houses, farms, and fields!

I also share if for no other reason, than to keep this well-deserved thread alive! What I would give to time travel back and see those two play to an empty, grungy Chi-town night club!
Yikes, sorry I missed this earlier. Any excuse to bump a Steve Goodman discussion thread is good enough for me.

Hey, if it didn't happen, it SHOULD HAVE happened. Too good to not be true. You know, I think it was his wife who told this story that someone told him the song was incomplete. He only had the first two verses, but a buddy of his (I don't think it was Prine) told him that the train had to complete the journey. The more I think of it, I think it may have been the second (middle) verse, cuz the guy said we needed to know what was going on in the train after the sun went down.

Anyway, I'm sticking by it -- and you are too. I'm with you. Sorry for the delay.

sm
Old 11-15-2022, 12:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

My #1 Guitar Hero and Performer. So amazing.

sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN