The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 07:14 AM

Default Coating on d'adarrio XT?

I can't seem to find what the actual coating on these strings are. Anyone know?Truth be told, I'm an Elixir hater. The plastic coating Elixir uses always sheds off in the picking area and gets on my guitar within a few days. Also eventually on the fretting area it does this. Plus, IT's a PLASTIC! and plastic will attenuate sound because it's a damper (steals energy from a system). I don't know why people like them so much. I don't get the same sound quality and projection from Elixir's. Why am i mentioning this? I really like d'addario 80/20's but they simply don't last long. So I'm really in search of an 80/20 that sounds good (doesn't have a weird plastic coating), and lasts long. So i'd like to try the XT's but i don't know what the actual caoting is. Don't wan't to have to deal with a coating that is shedding all over my guitar.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:17 AM

They have what appears to be thinner coating on the steel wire and wrap wire prior to the assembly. This is similar to the SCGC strings which coat the wrap wire before assembly, but not the steel wire. The coating on the XTs ime must be really thin because they felt more like normal strings... the SCs still had a coated feel to me.

That said, with the coating and extra stiff NY steel I didn’t find them pleasant to play. A bit higher tension and harder to bend, then came off sounding a bit reedy on the couple of guitars I tried them on. Loud for sure, just lacking body. They probably sound better the more played in they get, but In both cases (lights on an OM-28A and a PW 000-28) I took them off after a couple weeks. Liked them more than elixirs tho. Didn’t get the sense that they shedded or lost intonation.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:18 AM

Here’s a marketing spiel that goes into more detail vs elixirs

https://www.soundunlimited.co.uk/blo...strings-review

The engineer in me really wanted to like them, as it seemed they really went all out on the design. I prefer nickel bronze for a string that has more longevity. That said, I think I’ve settle on Mangan hex PBs... they seem to last a bit longer than all other PBs I’ve tried and are loud and full.

Last edited by brandall10; 03-30-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 AM

The exp's don't have a plastic coating and last me quite some time. I prefer the exp's to the two sets of xt's I have tried. To my ears the exp's are a little warmer, YMMV.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:55 AM

I had great hopes for the XTs, but have also been disappointed so far, although I haven't tried them on all my acoustics. OTOH, I've liked them a lot on electrics so far, so YMMV. I agree that (at least for me) the EXPs (or even just the plain EJ-16s) feel and sound better to me, plus on acoustics, I wasn't able to determine that any extra lifespan was worth the added cost.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:42 AM

Glad I stumbled onto this thread.
I just put XT's on about 2 weeks ago.
I don't like the sound as well as XP's or EJ's but.......I thought they felt stiff too and wasn't sure if it was just my imagination or not.
I feel a little validated now....thanks y'all!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion