The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Not a problem.

No, it is a problem Consider the incorrect breakover angle.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
According to this string tension calculator: https://tension.stringjoy.com/ Standard Tuning and Open G with the bottom string tuned to G are about the same amount of total tension.
Open G: DGDGBD

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-29-2020, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercn View Post
Thank you.!! I'm sure glad I thought to ask this first. Now I'm pretty reluctant to do this for just one song. I can just use the standard chords and pull off a good song.. But you know how we want to make it sound like it was recorded...!! BTW I think Shawn Mullins is one of the best songwriters ever for someone not in the limelight since Lullaby.. Check out his song library and don't miss his The Ghost of Johnny Cash!!

Thanks all.
Sceptical about the tuning. What particular song is it?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Open G: DGDGBD
Thanks

I know what the usual configuration is for Open G, but I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking about GGDGBD, which works out to be pretty close to the same total tension as standard on that calculator. My National NRP usually sits in DGDGBD and a Gretsch Corvette Electromatic, too.
Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdto View Post
Thanks

I know what the usual configuration is for Open G, but I'm pretty sure that the OP was asking about GGDGBD, which works out to be pretty close to the same total tension as standard on that calculator. My National NRP usually sits in DGDGBD and a Gretsch Corvette Electromatic, too.
See my next post. I question whether the tuning had the sixth string tuned to G. Tension on the 6th string is the issue, not total tension. In any case GGDGBD is a very unlikely tuning for a few reasons.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
See my next post. I question whether the tuning had the sixth string tuned to G. Tension on the 6th string is the issue, not total tension. In any case GGDGBD is a very unlikely tuning for a few reasons.
Fair enough. My reply simply referenced the overall tension of that modified Open G vs. Standard (very close to each other). I am not overly familiar with the song the OP was referencing, so can't speculate on the tuning.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:10 AM

Actually, Rick, there IS an open G guitar tuning that’s tuned to the exact same notes as a first position G chord, as I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, where the low E string is, in fact, tuned to a G note a step and a half above where that E string is normally tuned.

It’s actually a very nice sounding tuning, and back when I was running in mostly bluegrass circles I knew a couple of dobro players who preferred to tune their dobros there.

So yes that tuning exists and, yes, there are some musicians who prefer and use that tuning.

whm
Old 03-30-2020, 03:47 AM

Use a lighter gauge low E string and tune it up to G........ or a heavier hauge A string and tune down to G
Old 03-30-2020, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi. I am planning on learning to play the great song by Shawn Mullins, Lullaby. To get the great sounds on chords, he does open G tuning, except in this case the low E is also tuned up to G as well as the A going down to G.. My question is, is can that be too much tension for some acoustics? I will use a Taylor 110e, with medium strings.

Thanks in advance. Charles
Very bad idea!

When playing in open G, the 6th string is usually tuned DOWN to D. with the rot note on the 5th string as you say.
Old 03-30-2020, 05:54 AM

If you want that particular tuning, why not just do it all down a half/whole step?
Old 03-30-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Sceptical about the tuning. What particular song is it?

It’s listed in the first post.
Old 03-30-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
It’s listed in the first post.
Try for example:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab...chords-1229979 or

https://chords-and-tabs.net/song/nam...lins-lullaby-6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Actually, Rick, there IS an open G guitar tuning that’s tuned to the exact same notes as a first position G chord, as I mentioned in my earlier post in this thread, where the low E string is, in fact, tuned to a G note a step and a half above where that E string is normally tuned.

It’s actually a very nice sounding tuning, and back when I was running in mostly bluegrass circles I knew a couple of dobro players who preferred to tune their dobros there.

So yes that tuning exists and, yes, there are some musicians who prefer and use that tuning.
whm
Naturally and that would be GBDGBG (tuning indicated in this thread is however quite odd being GGDGBD). GBDGBG is doable
but as pointed out by others for the sake of the guitar some lighter gauge string substitutions are advised. Strings themselves
calculate to snap a bit over four half steps above standard tuning on a standard scale guitar. One could use GBDGBG as their
regular tuning but as a one off tune where for that one tune you would have to tune up to it from your regular tuning I would
take a pass.

Last edited by rick-slo; 03-30-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you.!! I'm sure glad I thought to ask this first. Now I'm pretty reluctant to do this for just one song. I can just use the standard chords and pull off a good song.. But you know how we want to make it sound like it was recorded...!! BTW I think Shawn Mullins is one of the best songwriters ever for someone not in the limelight since Lullaby.. Check out his song library and don't miss his The Ghost of Johnny Cash!!

Thanks all.
I agree about Shawn. I've seen him perform about 6 times, once solo, once as a duo, a couple of times with minimal accompaniment, and a couple of times with a full band. Loved his performances every time. His songwriting is second to none.
Old 03-30-2020, 10:40 AM

came in to say "fearless" by pink floyd sounds distinctly better/different with the low e tuned up to G and this is how I learned it but wade sorta made the same point. It's nerve wracking to do it though and I wouldn't on a good guitar.
Old 03-30-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post

whm
Most country and bluegrass dobro players tune to High Bass open G: GBDGBD, which provides two options of a 1-3-5 triad as well as inversions, while standard Open G, DGDGBD only has a single non-inversion triad. It is also a bit brighter, jauntier, than the low-bass Open G. Cuts through better when ensomble playing too.

But Dobro players are less concerned with action height than a standard Spanish-style guitar player is. Plus Dobros tend to have some form of trapeze tailpiece, so the string tension is more solidly anchored into the tailblock. I've come across several old vintage squarenecks with the bridge being the anchor where you could tell that it had pulled up from someone tuning to GBDGBD.

To the OP: if you do try this tuning, don't leave it there, and a lighter low string might be advisable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion