The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-28-2020, 05:54 AM

Real nice guitar. Electrics and their varied tone and feel are another addiction that can take you to another world of sound. I bought a Squier Telecaster, Strat, used Epiphone Les Paul standard plus and DOT. Each has its own feel, tone, vibe. Good luck on your journey and remember, there are lot of good used guitars out there that people give up on or let go for various reasons..
Old 02-28-2020, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful Strat - what a great choice! Congratulations on entering a delightful new world.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 02-28-2020, 07:12 AM

real nice, I have a 2014 standard that looks very much like yours. Mines loaded with fat 50s.. what's in yers?
Old 02-28-2020, 07:36 AM

Nice strat!! i think everyone that has one electric, should be a strat!- no one mentioned the amp so i will, im sure you looked at others, but is that the same as the champion 40 only more wattage and an upgraded speaker?
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-28-2020, 07:38 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpspitfire View Post
Nice strat!! i think everyone that has one electric, should be a strat!- no one mentioned the amp so i will, im sure you looked at others, but is that the same as the champion 40 only more wattage and an upgraded speaker?

Yep...the 50 is an upgraded 40.

Old 02-28-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Actually I’ve only been playing for about five years. Started when my lovely wife bought me a D-28 as my retirement gift. I still suck on acoustic so I figured I might as well be incompetent on electric as well.
What a great retirement gift, Rev! Electrics can be amazing guitars that give you something that acoustics can't, and vice versa. Enjoy your Fender and stick around on the Electric Guitar sub forum.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:12 AM

Default Yes to tubes

That is a gorgeous strat Rev! You're right though, it really cries out for a decent tube amp- I'd say a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton minimum. Next comes pedals, Oh my!

Enjoy that beautiful guitar in good health- RB
Old 03-01-2020, 12:22 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Looks like a lovely guitar! Enjoy the new phase of your playing!!!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Well, now you've gone and done it; the hook is in!
Old 03-01-2020, 01:55 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoy View Post
That is a gorgeous strat Rev! You're right though, it really cries out for a decent tube amp- I'd say a Deluxe Reverb or Princeton minimum. Next comes pedals, Oh my! RB
Agreed. Problem is I’ll have to sell one of my acoustics to be able to snag a decent tube amp. And I really don’t want to do that. But that may be inevitable. I’m loving this Strat and have no interest in limiting its tonal capabilities with a cheap amp...

Old 03-01-2020, 01:57 PM

Way to go, Rev! Enjoy!
LarryK.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:17 AM

Can’t go wrong with a nice Fender, and that certainly looks like a nice one.

I wouldn’t rush into getting an expensive amp, especially if it would mean selling one of your fine acoustic guitars.

For what it’s worth, I’ve found the tweed and blackface amp settings on my daughter’s Champion 20 to be surprisingly good — and I’d be surprised if the tones aren’t at least as good if not that much richer with the larger speaker in your 50-watt amp.

My recommendation would be to stick with the combo you’ve got for a while yet — you’re already way ahead of where most players are when they start out.

Enjoy!
Old 03-02-2020, 10:36 AM

well for whats its worth, ive had a fender super champ XD for about 3 years now, the X2 is about $500 new, i got mine used for $160, i really only use a couple settings on it- the amp modes just basically increase gain IMO- not a bad amp but would do better with a 12" speaker or better 10, actually i also have a vox AD30vt i got for $80, after i decide which i like better, im selling one, thats been 3 years now and still havent decided!! anyway, what im saying is an all tube will run quite a bit more then either of these 2
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass

Last edited by harpspitfire; 03-02-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 08:34 AM

Lovely guitar Roy. I've talked a little with you through messages, but I can see that the black hole of electric guitar is pulling you in. That's not a bad thing, and can be fun, but your "rig" will soon cost more than that guitar! lol

I do agree that a nice tube amp is needed to complement a nice guitar like that, however, just remember that tube amps are LOUD. Stick to a tube amp in the $500 range and you will be a happy camper for a long, long time. Don't get too caught up in the amp and pedal world. A $500 tube amp with reverb and a couple overdrives and maybe a delay is all you need!
Old 03-03-2020, 09:30 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
Lovely guitar Roy. I've talked a little with you through messages, but I can see that the black hole of electric guitar is pulling you in. That's not a bad thing, and can be fun, but your "rig" will soon cost more than that guitar! lol

I do agree that a nice tube amp is needed to complement a nice guitar like that, however, just remember that tube amps are LOUD. Stick to a tube amp in the $500 range and you will be a happy camper for a long, long time. Don't get too caught up in the amp and pedal world. A $500 tube amp with reverb and a couple overdrives and maybe a delay is all you need!

Good advice, my friend. Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars