The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM

Wow! What an interesting topic. I totally have the condition and didn't know it had a name. I was raised being taught that you can only be as good as your tool or this case instrument. I don't know whether that is true or not but it kind of makes sense. When I was a teenager taking lessons my teacher talked to my parents because I had "outgrown" my instrument. Well now I have several awesome guitars and know I'll never "outgrow" them. So I guess I'll keep on plugging along on my guitar playing path. It is so great to be on this forum and commiserate with you fine people.

1970 Yamaha FG-150
1977 Martin D-35
2017 Martin HD28e
2017 Taylor 914ce
2017 D'angelico ES1 archtop
2015 Taylor GS mini
Old 01-16-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whvick View Post
When it comes to guitars I have the imposter complex. I have fun as a bedroom balladeer, and playing and singing for my grandkids, but that is a soft audience. When I compare myself to the knowledge and skill of so many of the forum members I am humbled. I talk about guitars, but my skill set does not justify the ones I have.
So how about it? Are there other guitarist wannabes out there with imposter complex. Speak up. Confession is good for the soul.
I decided to quote a portion of your post in order to respond.
Personally, I don’t think about justifying my guitars due to skill or lack thereof. I like the way they sound and look, that’s my justification for owning them.
Everybody is a “guitarist wannabe” to a certain extent and everyone wants to be “better”.
I’d rather excel at songwriting and singing. Nobody cares about guitar skills including the ones I don’t have and never will.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-16-2020, 03:42 PM

I’m a mediocre guitarist. I have been playing for under three years so as an adult learner that’s not too unusual. I’m pretty confident about my songwriting though.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:44 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
No need to be hard on yourself. The only imposters are those who talk a better game than they can play. No matter how experienced, or accomplished, or how GOOD (the most common term ) any guitar player is, or thinks he/she is, I guarantee there is someone who will humble those players. It is always best to understate one’s abilities. Not living up to the talk is what makes an imposter in my mind.

No one has to earn the right to own a nice guitar, or 40 nice guitars for that matter.
^^^^^
This...but I’m still harder on myself about my in/abilities than I should be. Just the way it is. I can reasonably deliver a song with guitar and vocals when I end up playing at the occasional gathering that folks seem to enjoy. When that happens, it helps.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwasifar View Post
Impostor syndrome is kind of the flip side of Dunning-Kruger Effect.

People who really are skilled and self-aware also have the ability to notice and evaluate their own shortcomings, and tend to think that people who "should" be in those positions should not have shortcomings.

I have that problem generally. I've spent my career in a highly technical white collar profession, a position of considerable responsibility that requires specialized knowledge and ability, and I've made a good living at it. Yet, as I approach 60 years old, I'm still looking over my shoulder wondering when people are going to figure out what a faker I am and send me off to scrub toilets or something.

It took me forever to start playing out, even though I've been playing guitar since my teens, because I was convinced I wasn't good enough. When I finally started playing out, relatively late in life, I got a lot of unexpectedly positive feedback. That was helpful, but my grip on feeling competent to perform professionally is still very tenuous. A lot of the time I can't believe anyone would want to listen to me when there are so many people out there who are obviously more musical and more talented.

tl;dr version: You are not alone, OP.

You just narrated my professional life, guitar playing life and everything......you are my un-met twin.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-16-2020, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
We're all imposters in the right company.
Brilliant. We have widely varied musical educations and experience - so what?

Music should bring you some joy. If your music brings some joy to others you are twice blessed.

Buy as much guitar as your ears can appreciate and you budget will allow. The idea that a guitar will sound too beautiful for certain players is ludicrous.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-16-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman1951 View Post

Buy as much guitar as your ears can appreciate and you budget will allow. The idea that a guitar will sound too beautiful for certain players is ludicrous.
This is true. Plus, the better the guitar, the more you’ll want to play it and get better.

Old 01-16-2020, 05:47 PM

I thought I had imposter syndrome when I started medical school. Turns out it wasn't - I was an actual imposter, because I've killed patients.

I've played guitar and bass for over 50 years, and I still suck. High end instruments don't improve my playing, so I make my own instruments, which also suck.

But I really really love playing music.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:19 PM

I'm at the age and physical issues that I dont really know how many more years I'll be able to play. With my current playing abilities, I sure as hell don't deserve a Martin. But I wanted one, I bought one, and I enjoy and appreciate it far more than the dollars it cost. And I'll continue to for as long as I can.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I stink, but if I play slow enough no one will notice.....

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-16-2020, 06:54 PM

I'm a below average player with some above average guitars.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 01-16-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm a below average player with some above average guitars.
I like how you put that
Old 01-16-2020, 10:28 PM

Default The imposter complex

Thanks for you responses. There is a lot of very good discussion in this thread and it has been most therapeutic for my imposter complex. I trust it has helped a few others from the responses so far.
I called my son and he definitely remembered that Conversation years ago. We agreed that a certain amount of self doubt and understanding of your inadequacies is normal for the human condition.
Self deprecation is not good, nor is narcissism.
Now if I can only twist this into a need for that Taylor 327 that I have not even touched yet.
But GAS should be a whole other thread!
Thanks again.
whvick

Last edited by whvick; 01-16-2020 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:37 PM

As dwasifar posted, this is related to the "Dunning Kruger Effect" of which I frequently cite. Its really about self-awareness. We've all seen people of various competency levels in a multitude of skills, hobbies, professional and academic pursuits. There are those who are so grossly incompetent they cannot see their own incompetence and tend to over-rate their proficiency.

Conversely, there are those who possess not only some degree of competence but also enough self awareness such that they recognize (and often overstate) their limitations. This is where we find the imposter complex.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:36 PM

What I’m reading most of in this thread, besides the common sense “music is for enjoyment, it’s silly to think an instrument is too good to have or not worthy of a beginner” is the plight of those who have made sometimes deep sacrifices of integrity during a long and ‘successful’ career (par for the course outside of strict legal responsibilities), and a carrying over of this ‘lack of worthiness’ with respect to owning some great guitars alongside a rudimentary guitar playing skill level - the imposter was and is in the past, if you’re retired you can come to terms with past compromises of integrity through the cathartic process of music making at whatever skill level, and leave aside the audience as an arbiter of worthiness of performance.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion