The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 08-30-2010, 06:30 PM

Default Opinions wanted on promo for gigs

Folks,

My acoustic duo has just started gigging. I've managed to, believe it or not, secure somewhat regular gigs at a few places JUST with email, sending them to our website etc, but the places I REALLY want to play, I realize I'm going to have to go to...

I have cards, but I feel like I need to hand them a CD. Rather than handing them a CD with full songs, I've concocted a 6 or 7 minute promo that ties a handful of songs together. It's here:

Flat Stanleys Promo

Now, this isn't complete - I'm still mixing the songs and will probably re-do the narration (I have a friend who's a "professional voice talent" that I'm going to have do it for me), but I'm curious of what you think of the concept in general...

My thought is that no manager is going to listen to 30 minutes of music, right? So why not guide them through a few minutes of it...

Anyway - thoughts welcome...good, bad, neutral - I promise you won't hurt my feelings
Old 08-30-2010, 08:18 PM

I think the music is well done and IMO that's all you need (3 minutes or less worth of cuts from a couple songs). The rest is overkill. I think that most bar owners (in the US) would get annoyed with the narration and might even just chuck the CD without listening to the music. People are insanely impatient these days. For instance, try driving at a normal rate of speed. I've had more people making dangerous passes lately because I was driving down the road doing the speed limit........ How dare me???
Idiots!! Best to you with the gigging.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:41 AM

Thanks, strummer...

I guess that was my concern (that the narration was extraneous)...I've since removed it and just faded the songs into each other.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

Good idea. I posted my reply before I saw you had removed the narration. I agree with 66. A nice calm introduction would be better, with perhaps an ending narration that once again directs them to your website.

Just my .02 cents. I could be wrong.
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"

Last edited by Tele1111; 08-31-2010 at 10:12 AM. Reason: correction of reply
Old 08-31-2010, 12:17 PM

I like the idea of sort of an upbeat introduction that describes a the music. "Flat Stanley, A clever fusion of acoustic music, humor, irony, sarcasm .............will keep you audience laughing clapping and ordering drinks". Ok that may be dorkey, but you have a unique sound and message and the performance will be entertaining on a few different levels as opposed to typical singer/songwriter stuff.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 08-31-2010, 09:19 PM

Here's a compliment (hopefully)...... I don't know if you guys do any Bon Jovi covers but I heard a Bon Jovi tribute band locally a few weeks ago. I think you guys would put them to shame vocally, especially on the harmonies.

Last edited by 66strummer; 08-31-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:22 AM

Im just in the process of putting together around 10 'samples' that will go online of various songs that i cover. But i would just have the intro, bar or two of rhythm and chorous and possibly a lead part.

For example with Wish You Were Here Im just laying down the opening riff, together with opening solo bit and then the main rhythm part ..

I agree, most people who need to make a decision just want to hear a small sample of the main 'bits' and make sure you can pull it off.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 09-01-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Here's a compliment (hopefully)...... I don't know if you guys do any Bon Jovi covers but I heard a Bon Jovi tribute band locally a few weeks ago. I think you guys would put them to shame vocally, especially on the harmonies.
Hahah - no, no Bon Jovi covers. I actually love Bon Jovi, though. We play mostly originals, though we do fill in with a few covers most of which are currently along the lines of "classic alternative" (Psychedelic Furs, Smiths, Cure, etc). I know it doesn't sound like it from the originals, but we kind of put our own spin on it.

What I wanted to do, though, was work up a couple of medleys to put into the mix - one of hair metal stuff (poison, bon jovi, def leppard, etc) and one of lounge type stuff (paul anka, tom jones, etc)...but that whole thing has met some resistance from my bandmate.
Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM

I spent four years hustling up gigs for my son's blues/rock band in the L.A. area. The venues I approached, with one or two exceptions, were interested in one thing only: "How many people will you bring in?"

The exceptions were the clubs such as Cafe Boogaloo that regularly booked touring acts, thus transforming the club itself into a draw. All we had to do was match the quality of the likes of Eddie "The Chief" Clearwater, Jake Andrews, Sonny Rhodes, Lucky Peterson, Tommy Castro, James Harman, Doug MacLeod, etc. Fat chance.

In my experience the mere existence of a CD demo is the important thing. Anyone capable of putting one together is probably a real musician.

Beyond that, financial considerations are likely to rule.

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
Old 09-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesbassdad View Post
In my experience the mere existence of a CD demo is the important thing. Anyone capable of putting one together is probably a real musician.
How, then, do you explain Yoko Ono?

I know what you mean, though - there are many owners/managers that just ask "how many people can you bring in?", but the thing is, we're pretty small-time, and will likely stay that way. The good news is that there are tons of small restaurant/bars and coffee shops around here who, while they certainly want you to bring people, are small enough that they're easy to satisfy.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 PM

When my acoustic duo first sent demos out, it was short samples of each song... not much luck.

We then uploaded full songs to MySpace, created a CD of five complete songs (each song a separate track, allowing the listenener to skip tracks of course), AND I think very importantly, we used HP LightScribe CDs to print the Duos name, and contact info, and website right on the CD... inserted it in a flyer, with 2 business cards, and it has been a very successful package.

Of course, most places do ask how many people will we bring in.... which is always a tough question for a new duo to answer...
Good luck!
Taylor 2008 816ce
Ovation TB-1 (Thunderbolt)
(The Ovation will be up for sale soon!)

Electric:
Gibson SG
Old 09-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eribo View Post
HP LightScribe CDs to print the Duos name, and contact info, and website right on the CD... inserted it in a flyer, with 2 business cards, and it has been a very successful package.
I ordered some blank discs with the bands info on the disc. I'm not familiar with lightscribe, but I have too much computer junk already, so I ordered some pre-printed CDRs. Maybe I will just burn the full songs on them, I'm not sure - that's why I went this route - I can put whatever I want with it.

Anyway, if it worked for you, maybe it'll work for us, too.

Thanks for the input!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell