The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-29-2020, 10:24 PM

Default Martin D-10e users?

I find this and the d12 interesting offerings, super affordable, I think they’re solid, look great. Obviously it’s not going to be in the level of their flagship models, but does anyone own this guitar? How is it? How’s the tone? Playability? Neck?
I find it interesting that it’s slightly cheaper than the Yamaha FGX3, similar woods, body shape, both have electronics. I wonder how Martin can make it this cheap? I assume it’s made in Mexico, and the fgx3 is made in China. I’d like to play one but that might be months away at this point.

Last edited by Wellington; 03-29-2020 at 10:48 PM.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:28 AM
Charter Member

I really like all three of those Road Series dreads, the 10, 12, and 13. I like the 12 best because it has the nicest appointments. It has the looks of a D-18 but there is no difference, to me, in the sounds of the 10 and the 12.

The sound is not as deep and dark as a d-18 and I like that. In December and January I was going out looking at d-18's but sometimes I liked the lighter sound of the d-12 better. The I tried the new d-16rosewood and it added to the confusion, so now I'm waiting until things clear up and I can try a d-16 mahogany just to add to the confusion.

Sorry about this post getting out of hand. The point is that the d-10e is a really good sounding guitar.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:46 AM

I sold an OM-21 years ago, and recently picked up a 000-13e as a replacement. I was surprised and impressed by the tone and quality of the new Road Series guitars.
Old 03-30-2020, 11:20 AM

I own a DRS 2 which is what the D10e used to be called. Great guitar for the $. I string mine with Martin Lifespan mediums & get great tone, projection, volume & sustain. I'm primarily a rhythm strummer, so it suits me. The satin finish is wearing away a bit where my arm strums, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about that. Over-all I'm happy with the guitar, especially if you can buy used!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion